Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft is planning to introduce an updated version of its Office productivity suite for the Mac in 2014, according to Thorsten Hübschen, Business Group Lead at Microsoft Germany, who gave Computerwoche (via Macworld) the news at the Cebit trade fair in Hanover.

officeformac.jpg
While there's little information available on a possible release date, Hübschen said more news on the product should come during the second quarter of 2014. Microsoft's current Office software for the Mac was released more than three years ago in October of 2010.
At the Cebit trade fair in Hanover, Hübschen told Computerwoche that there are now development teams for each of the Office applications, which each produce versions of their product for different platforms. In addition to MacOS, other possible targets for the future may include tablets running iOS and Android.
Microsoft originally had plans to release Office for Mac in the spring of 2014, but it appears the company will miss that timeline, instead planning for a release later in the year. According to a representative from Microsoft, the company is indeed working on the next version of Office for Mac.
"The team is hard at work on the next version of Office for Mac," she said in an email. "While I don't have details to share on timing, when it's available, Office 365 subscribers will automatically get the next Office for Mac at no additional cost."
The company is also said to be working on an iPad version of Office, but it remains unclear when that app might arrive.

Article Link: New Version of Microsoft Office for Mac Slated for 2014 Release

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Not for iPad? :( I hope they fix the formatting issues I have at my office. Whenever a colleague opens a word doc on their windows PC that I made on my mac the fonts and formatting is all over the place. grrrr

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'm sure Microsoft will wait until just after their TechNet program finally expires before releasing a new version of Office for the Mac ;)

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Wish they'd fix full screen mode on Word 2011. Seems to be a 50/50 chance of documents opening on top of each other when using it.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Hope the Mac version has some basic feature parity with the Windows version of Outlook this time.

Also, support for 10.9 features (Notification Center etc.)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I don't care about MS Office as much as I used to. Maybe because most of what is done in the business world today doesn't necessarily require using Microsoft's software. Today my entire office is happily Microsoft-free. :)

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
In my experience, MS Office for Mac is a very poor piece of Software.

It comes with so much bloat (all I really want is Word, PowerPoint and Excel!) and it's extremely slow and laggy. It crashes all the time, takes forever to load files, and just doesn't seem like the usual polished "Mac app".

I hope this version is better! (Saying that, the only part of MSO I use is Excel)

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I don't care about MS Office as much as I used to. Maybe because most of what is done in the business world today doesn't necessarily require using Microsoft's software. Today my entire office is happily Microsoft-free. :)

But everyone said businesses can only function with Microsoft Office? :confused:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Will it beach ball when you copy things in Excel like the current version does on all Mac hardware?

Or a version of Outlook for Mac that supports things like a full calendar and sync instead of having to manage it using the Apple Calendar.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I deleted Office for Mac 2011 a few months back. So far it has been the smartest move I have made with my Air since I bought it in 2011.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
And what did you replace it with?

I deleted Office for Mac 2011 a few months back. So far it has been the smartest move I have made with my Air since I bought it in 2011.

----------

What did you guys replace it with?

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Not for iPad? :( I hope they fix the formatting issues I have at my office. Whenever a colleague opens a word doc on their windows PC that I made on my mac the fonts and formatting is all over the place. grrrr

PDF my friend. I told my professors because I was docked for format errors, I would no longer be providing them a doc format because it was produced on office 2007 but they opened it on 2010. So MS's own fault.

Save as a pdf and lock that crap in. Same thing for business use. At least for use I've experienced before is that if it's going to a client, it's PDF. If it's within the office, whatever program your using since the whole company is going to have that.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006

wish my past workplace wasnt so microsoft centric.

what do you use instead?

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
Dont know about you guys but im SO tired of Microsoft's products...

#msannoying

lol only on this forum would meaningless hate-for-non-Apple-company be so popular.

I'm a huge user of Apple products, but have you tried to use Numbers? I know they're re-adding functionality over time, but to use it now for anything even remotely professional is a waste of time. In this case you get what you pay for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.