Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
PDF my friend. I told my professors because I was docked for format errors, I would no longer be providing them a doc format because it was produced on office 2007 but they opened it on 2010. So MS's own fault.

Save as a pdf and lock that crap in. Same thing for business use. At least for use I've experienced before is that if it's going to a client, it's PDF. If it's within the office, whatever program your using since the whole company is going to have that.

This

PDF also fit on a 3.5" when a .doc wouldn't... :eek:

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
And what did you replace it with?

For us we still use it, but that's simply to have a local copy of an editing program but as soon as we want/need to share it, it goes directly onto our GDrive for sharing. Fortune 500.

Dcgod

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Does it activate?

My OS X Office 2011 key would never activate after months of talking back and forth with Microsoft. Their phone activation was "offline" for over a week and when it came back on I finally got my activation code which always said invalid. Now I see why they never fixed the issue, a new release was coming...

Thanks, but no thanks. Never again...

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
IMHO Nothing beats Excel for serious business use.

I prefer Word to Pages, although I can see the merits of both.

Keynote is better than PowerPoint, but PowerPoint is better for compatibility with Windows.

A new office would be great, although Office 2013 via Microsoft Remote Desktop on my iPad works surprisingly well.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
the only thing i liked about office for mac were its icons.
I was disappointed when i used for the first time though.

xceko

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
I am also done with Microsoft products

I was on the market for buying electric car. One of the option was Ford Focus Electric. Everything was exactly what I was looking for but as soon as I realized they are using Microsoft Sync for their in car entertainment, then I changed my mind not even trying to test drive. I searched on the web and I found there is syncsucks.com ;)

I mean, anything from Microsoft still reminds me blue screen days and which is happening in the cars even today. There was a video from poor Ford owner, his/her car was totally frozen !!! It's the fact and I can't trust Microsoft anymore.

And like most of the posts here, I really don't care MS Office for Mac.
I am happy with my Macs without it. I love Pages works perfectly for my use.
Apple rocks !!!

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
IMHO Nothing beats Excel for serious business use.

I always hear people say this, but anytime I've encountered it... I say the "You're using it wrong." Actually, it's "You're using the wrong program". Often from the use cases I've seen where excel is used for "business use" is when it's being used wrong. Too many times do I usually see it being used as a "database". Just use a freak'n database then!

Sorry for the rant, but that's my personal experience. Excel is being used wrong. Excel is for spreadsheets, not database management.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
lol only on this forum would meaningless hate-for-non-Apple-company be so popular.

I'm a huge user of Apple products, but have you tried to use Numbers? I know they're re-adding functionality over time, but to use it now for anything even remotely professional is a waste of time. In this case you get what you pay for.

I have both office and iWork and 3 apps are usually never used

-Numbers
-Powerpoint
-Word

I just want either apple or MS to fix their apps so I can just have one suite taking space on my hard drive.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
lol only on this forum would meaningless hate-for-non-Apple-company be so popular.

I'm a huge user of Apple products, but have you tried to use Numbers? I know they're re-adding functionality over time, but to use it now for anything even remotely professional is a waste of time. In this case you get what you pay for.

Save your breath. In order to score as many 'fanboy brownie points' as possible, some posters will slash anything Microsoft, Google, Samsung and Android at every possible opportunity. Professional haters :rolleyes:

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Push email for Exchange? If not, it couldn't matter less what they include.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I wonder what new bugs they will feature in this release? So much anticipation of all the ways they can destroy our data for additional cost!

I'll pass.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I stopped using MS Office when Apple updated iWork several months back. iWork apps has been working smoothly for me and have had no issues with files opening up on PC's at work. Other than that, the ability have the files sync through iCloud on any of my devices far outweighs anything that I was able to do with Office. iWork has been fantastic and using Office is just too cumbersome.

Now, if Microsoft were to release Office for the Mac with complete compatibility with the Windows version then I would definitely reinstate my Office 365 subscription. Having all Office programs, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, OneNote and even Access working on my Mac and iPads just as well as the iWork programs would be great.

However, history with Microsoft tells me that will never happen.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Seeing these posts, I wonder what kind of work MR posters do. I unfortunately produce documents that may be sent to others to edit.

I have to often make presentations on someone else's conference room computer which is not often a Mac.

If you live and work in an insular world where you don't have to interact with other businesses or non-Mac users then maybe these alternatives are possible.

For me, not using Office would be such a pain in the ass that regardless of how poor the software is, I have to use it because it is THE business document format.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Not sure about newer versions but 2011 for Mac is by far the best office suite I've ever used. Not sure what all the hate for Office is over outside of it being made by Microsoft... who is really no longer the "bad guy" lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.