Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Oh good. Another terrible release of Microsoft "Office" for Mac that works NOTHING like Microsoft Office for Windows.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
How many years does it take for them to realize their software is so stale. Office for iPad should have launched a year ago. Microsoft is slacking!!!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I don't care about MS Office as much as I used to. Maybe because most of what is done in the business world today doesn't necessarily require using Microsoft's software. Today my entire office is happily Microsoft-free. :)

Curious as to what you are using in it's place? We moved from Corel (yes I know) to microsoft starting late last year.

I mainly use pages and pdf but if it is a document that needs to go around for corrections etc, I use the Mac version of Word. An improvement is always welcome!

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Oh good. Another terrible release of Microsoft "Office" for Mac that works NOTHING like Microsoft Office for Windows.

Therein lies the problem. People buy Office for Mac to gain compatibility with Office for Windows. While MS does whatever it can to keep Office for Mac not-fully-compatible with Office for Windows. It's a silly, annoying little game.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Just glad to see an update. Hope they stay away from subscription base. Would just have to stick with old version if they did.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
For me, not using Office would be such a pain in the ass that regardless of how poor the software is, I have to use it because it is THE business document format.

Very true, and the sad thing is, this only perpetuates the problem. Like I said, where I work it all gets uploaded to GDrive and we actually just present from browser. That's where I think things should go (presentation wise). iCloud does it, GDrive does it, I'm assuming 365 does it.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
Although i'm not a fan if ms myself, and I would trash it the moment I don't need it anymore, I'm really curious what people use a PROFESSIONAL replacement for excel.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Really looking forward to this! Even though I love Apple software and you can open and edit Office documents directly in iWork these days you just can't beat the compatibility and feature set of Microsoft Office.

Office for Mac feels really outdated, it feels more like the old Office 2003 and its no where close to the more modern approach and feeling of Office 2013 for Windows.

I hope we'll see a more modern UI, or at least make something that fits OS X more not this Office 2003 with grey UI because that makes it feel like OS X nonsense we got today, hopefully we'll see some OneDrive (SkyDrive) integration as that would be awesome for cross-platform workloads as I guess iCloud integration is completely out of the question and the addition of One Note for Macs.

And hopefully they'll actually make Outlook for Mac into something useful, the thing we got today with Office for Mac 2010 is a complete joke that doesn't compare or risible it's Windows counterpart at all, it doesn't even feature Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support which is completely nonsensical if you ask me.

And please drop all the added bloatware and nonsense like Messenger and whatnot that comes with the Office packages for some awkward reason.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Dont know about you guys but im SO tired of Microsoft's products...

#msannoying

Not me. Office 2011 is far superior to any other office suite I've tried. iWork is OK for casual things but can't even come close to Office. Office 2011 apps even come an an innovative thing called "Save As"!

Working in Word or Excel feels like really working. Pages and Numbers are too rubberbandy and spongy. They feel like phone apps.

I'll be getting it as long as it's not subscription and they offer a three-machine version as they did for Office 2011. It is possible that Microsoft is way too greedy for that now. We'll see. . .

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My wife may care, but I won't tell her. I am more than happy with my iworks products. Don't see the need to spend money.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Dont know about you guys but im SO tired of Microsoft's products...

#msannoying

I only recall one specific release during system 9 that was solid. Every other version of Word I used from version 1, right up until the latest version has been a laggy, bloated pile of *****.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
Google drive works for most everything, and all you need is an internet connection. No need for compatibility.

How about SPSS instead of excel?

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
The best feature of MS word is being able to save it in the ".doc" 1997 version, since nothing has changed since then, and ".docx" files are the buggiest pieces of ess ever.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Cool. I want more...

Nifty. Are Access, Visio, and Project for Mac finally going to be available? If not, wake me up when they are...

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
I can't imagine many of the posters so proud to wear their anti-ms bias on their sleeves are engaged collaborative creative work (that requires a word processor or slide presentations).

If you don't need those things, you don't need any office suite. If you do need those things and you force your collaborators to deal with your wackass file formatting, you're the weak link in your collaboration.

A number (not all, of course) of academic journals won't accept LaTeX files anymore, and those that accept pdfs are diminishing. .docx and .pptx are the new de facto standards, and I can only imagine they are as fully entrenched in the business world as .doc and .ppt were ten years ago.

Sure, there may be some small businesses that can get away with open office or iWork (et al), but those are the exception. Just as an author who has no editors can use notepad for everything they do, if they wish.

Also: zotero plugins for word are the bomb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.