Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has received final approval for its upcoming Union Square Apple Store from the San Francisco Planning Commission and the city's Board of Supervisors, reports Re/code. With the go ahead from the city, Apple can begin construction on the new store, which is located approximately three blocks away from its existing San Francisco store.

model.jpg
A model of the San Francisco Apple Store courtesy of ifoAppleStore
"We are thrilled that the city of San Francisco has given its final approval to begin work on our new store and public plaza, which will make a wonderful addition to Union Square and create hundreds of local jobs," Apple spokeswoman Amy Bessette told Re/code. "Our Stockton Street store has been incredibly popular, welcoming over 13 million customers since it opened nine years ago, and we look forward to making a new home on Union Square."
Apple first earned final approval from the planning commission in February and it received a necessary zoning concession from the San Francisco Board of Supervisors last week after agreeing to revise its initial building plans. Apple's original plan, which received some criticism, called for the removal of the historical Ruth Asawa fountain at the location and the installation of an 80-foot wide wall along a key pedestrian and transit corridor.

The company filed a revised plan back in August, pledging to move the fountain to a nearby location, add an eight-foot wide window for visual interest, and move the glass wall of the store back by four feet.

Apple's new Union Square store will be located in the former Levi's building at the corner of Post and Stockton streets. Renderings of the location have suggested it will have massive 44-foot tall sliding glass panels at the entry way, with an Apple representative calling the location "more iconic" than the company's well-known Fifth Avenue store in New York City.

Article Link: Apple Gets Final Go Ahead for New San Francisco Flagship Store

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
"Gets Final Go Ahead" - Receives approval from bureaucrats to do something they want to do on their own property.

sfoneway

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
one problem

ummm looks like the architects have cars going both directions on the road in front of the new apple store....except that's a one way road here in SF. doh

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
"Gets Final Go Ahead" - Receives approval from bureaucrats to do something they want to do on their own property.

I assume you haven't ever had to acquire planning permission, because they can take you down for so much as building a garage in your own property.

----------

Will those huge doors open automatically when someone walks close?

Only if you're 30-foot tall. In which case, you can definitely complain that the iPhone's screen is too small.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Man I really want to play with that model.

Barbie dolls or G.I. Joes, I don't even care.

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
What is this? A store for ants!!!? How do you expect anyone to buy anything , if they can't even fit into the building .....?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I wish they would give each store a little something to differentiate one from another. It will be interesting to see if the new retail VP will change things. My local store is usually full of kids using the computers to play on Facebook. They also removed all the stools around the products and it's always too hot as they don't have any air conditioning. I would hate to work there. All in all it's just not a nice place to shop which is why I rarely go in there anymore.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Except for the huge sliding door I don't know how iconic this store will be. This is similar to the store I just visited in Chicago on the magnificent mile. But at least I don't see the fugly fountain in the mockup. I would however agree with other posts that the trees look a bit off.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Not that I'm not excited or anything, but I think this location will hold the record for most news story posts. :p

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I hope those two men/women near the car do not get hit by it when the Apple Store is complete. :D

:eek:

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Apple can make the most beautiful stores in the world, but this feels so heavily restricted and un-inspired. When I think of an Apple stire I would want to visit I immediately think of the theatre in in Berline I believe it is. Apple preserves a beautiful external design and adds a clean modern interior.

That is where Apple succeeds, not 30ft glass doors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.