Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I find it odd that they don't make it more obvious to non "Apple-obsessive-macrumors-readers". It seems like it takes quite a few days for the badge to come up on the settings app. My parents have no idea what it means and don't update until I do it for them.

I don't find it odd to not want your servers to have a complete meltdown, and Apple is in no race to beat adoption records on a third-party chart.

For those who are antsy like the lot of us here, you just tap software update in settings to invoke the check and get it sooner. Otherwise, I think an OS update rolling out to hundreds of millions of users over the course of a few days works just fine for those who don't read tech blogs.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It seems strange that the graph has a couple of dips. What does that mean? Did people uninstall the update or something?

Simm95

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
I think the #1 improvement in 7.1 is the quicker animation speeds. Macrumors has barely given any credit to that and it makes iOS so much more usable. I can't understand someone not switching because of a slightly darker shade of green since 7.1 makes the animations so fast.

Oldfash33

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
All joking aside I am really appreciating how snappy this update is. And I do enjoy the new look of the keyboard

terryzx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Caller ID is RUINED in 7.1

NO MORE FULL PHOTOS

Now you can't even see the tiny circle it uses for who is calling

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
What's frustrating is this would be a lot higher if their servers weren't crap. It downloaded in minutes on my iphone 5S when it first launched but now on my iPad and my moms iphone 5 it's showing 16 hours remaining. (And no, it's not my connection. Uverse 15 mb/s and speedtest shows it's fine and able to download TitanFall update in mins and it was 800mbs)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
What's frustrating is this would be a lot higher if their servers weren't crap. It downloaded in minutes on my iphone 5S when it first launched but now on my iPad and my moms iphone 5 it's showing 16 hours remaining. (And no, it's not my connection. Uverse 15 mb/s and speedtest shows it's fine and able to download TitanFall update in mins and it was 800mbs)

Its your connection. Never had and issue at all getting download on 3 devices.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
And the pages still reload in Safari on the Air, just like they did before the update. Very disappointing.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Upgraded my iPhone and iPads and they're running silky smooth. Can't say enough good things about this update. It's not a huge leap by any means, but the subtle changes/improvements are enough to make the overall experience even better.

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
7.1 not only deserves an award for the new changes, they have done something about the crash issue, and that is very important.... my 5s with 7.0.4 got frozen on some apps like spotify, and springboard crashed while i was changing wallpapers... and in the report logs it appeared some itunes crash and low battery logs... i really gave up on believing it was a software problem after people here in the forums told me that it can be a processor issue... (this iphone was a replacement already)

right now with 7.1 i changed wallpapers like 100 times and no any crash appeared, right now it have over 9 hours in standby and no any crash log appeared (in 7.0.4 i left it on my desk turned on without touching it, and it crashed randomly and i only could verify it checking diagnostics u_u)

So a big YAY for this new update... and i hope my crashing iphone finds redemption :C

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
And the pages still reload in Safari on the Air, just like they did before the update. Very disappointing.

They shouldn't be. Did you try quitting all your apps and restarting? I have 5 tabs open on my Air and I can switch between them effortlessly without the pages reloading.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
People don't want to lose their jailbreak :p

I need to hurry and get a 5S before there no longer is a JB

Why even buy a iPhone if all you want to do is jailbreak? Pretty obvious that Apple will stop at nothing to destroy any attempts. Best that people forget about jailbreaking.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

They reloaded on iOS 6 too. I'd love to know exactly what the issue is (hardware or software or both) and why Apple doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it. But I've been using 7.1 on my Air now for a whole day and haven't had a crash yet. So there's that. :)

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Why is the chart designed to make 5.9% look like a huge number? It's a small number and a 0-100% scale would show that.

So some 500mil units in circulation that can take advantage of the update...just over 25,000,000 in 24 hours is a 'small number?' Kit-Kat's been out for a bit now. Maybe we've reached a single percentage point? Maybe?

I think the #1 improvement in 7.1 is the quicker animation speeds. Macrumors has barely given any credit to that and it makes iOS so much more usable. I can't understand someone not switching because of a slightly darker shade of green since 7.1 makes the animations so fast.

Agreed. Four finger swipe up to multi task is seemless. No crashing, glitching, or springboard resets for me...iPhone 5/5s, iPad 4, Air and wife's mini. Extraordinary update

NO MORE FULL PHOTOS

Now you can't even see the tiny circle it uses for who is calling

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

I respectfully disagree. I think the new dialer UI is exceptional. I don't need more than a dot of a dude:)

I've got four open now on my Air, five on mini. None are reloading. I was able to get a reload on my seventh tab in Safari. But it was an almost instantaneous 'refresh'. LTE rocks!

It's still an unacceptably bad GUI.

Again. I 'respectfully' disagree. Have you a GUI to show us? Or just fishing? Easy GUI is extremely HARD to build.

They reloaded on iOS 6 too. I'd love to know exactly what the issue is (hardware or software or both) and why Apple doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it. But I've been using 7.1 on my Air now for a whole day and haven't had a crash yet. So there's that. :)

There's only so much RAM. It's a preventative measure so safari doesn't 'crash'. Happens on Android too. I've got a Note 3 and Nex7.2. Anyone that says they don't is full of you know what. What is the need to have so many tabs open anyway? Isn't it hard to read more than three or four sites simultaneously?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.