Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1passwordmac.png
AgileBits today has updated its popular password manager app, 1Password for Mac, to version 4.2, bringing 30 new features, including significant improvements for 1Password Mini, the app's menu bar extension (via Cult of Mac).
1Password mini
- You can now edit items directly within 1Password mini!
- Edit generated passwords in 1Password mini, too
- Greatly improved URL matching makes logging in to sites with sub domains easy
- Configure URL matching for sub domains in 1Password > Preferences > Browser
- Improved support for multiple Chrome profiles
- By popular request, 1Password mini now shows Secure Notes!
- 1Password mini now supports fuzzy search. For example: "oogle" will now return items named "Google"
Other improvements include refinements to the app's AutoSave functionality, as the app now searches all vaults before asking to save or update Logins and will prompt users to save Logins in their primary vaults by default. Additionally, item editing has been streamlined, allowing users to edit when 1Password locks or quits in the middle of a change as well as the ability to switch vaults while editing.

The update is currently available for download on AgileBits' website, and will be available in the Mac App Store once the update is approved.

1Password for Mac is available in the Mac App Store for $50. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 1Password for Mac Gets Updated with 30 New Features, 1Password Mini Item Editing

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Hopefully there is better syncing with Dropbox because it is often not syncing up correctly between my iMac and MacBook Air and I don't get the most up to date information or I end up with new info on two separate vaults that are the same vault.

cymerc

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone use this before? Is it safe to save all password in one place?

It's a heck of a lot safer than:
  1. Having the same password for everything
  2. Having several easy to remember passwords that you probably will never change out of fear that you'll forget them

djdavidgallant

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Boston, MA
This app has always been worth it. For a non-subscription fee, they have been great at updating both the OSX and the iOS versions of this application. Been a customer for nearly 4 years.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
If I am not mistaken, both programs have 256 bit locker encryption. OneSafe has Tri-Pin protection for securing the vault. Makes it virtually impossible to crack.

Yeah, it sounds impressive, but then they told passengers the Titanic was unsinkable due to it's state of the art engineering.

So while "256 bit locker encryption" sounds great, I don't understand what it means, whether it's appropriate, nor do I have any way of verifying it really is secure.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I would give it a shot, but $50.00 is out of my range at the moment. Wish they would throw out a few free codes or have a $10.00 sale.

The difference is that this is a one time fee while most other services charge an annual fee. If you wanted, you could sign up for one year of Lastpass for $12. Lastpass is another good option that's secure and reliable. That would give you a taste of what it's like to use something like this and then you could make the decision to either stay with Lastpass or switch to 1Password.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
The difference is that this is a one time fee while most other services charge an annual fee. If you wanted, you could sign up for one year of Lastpass for $12. Lastpass is another good option that's secure and reliable. That would give you a taste of what it's like to use something like this and then you could make the decision to either stay with Lastpass or switch to 1Password.

With 1Password, don't you have to purchase the iOS version as well, or does the $50.00 cover both platforms?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
1Password is excellent. I've been using it for about four years now and I will gladly keep paying for upgrades because 1Password has completely changed my family's approach to passwords by getting us to use unique strong passwords for each site we visit.

I just wish the iOS app was updated with a more iOS 7 feel. It's even still using the pre-iOS 7 keyboard.

JPM

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone use this before? Is it safe to save all password in one place?

I've been using it since v1 or v2 (can't remember which) and I think it's great. I only have to remember a minimal number of passwords, like the vault password for the application, and so I can use very strong passwords for everything else because I don't have to remember them.

Of course that all works until my Mac, iDevices and Dropbox all blow up simultaneously. :rolleyes:

I would give it a shot, but $50.00 is out of my range at the moment. Wish they would throw out a few free codes or have a $10.00 sale.

I believe you can get a trial if you download it from their website.

With 1Password, don't you have to purchase the iOS version as well, or does the $50.00 cover both platforms?

You have to purchase the iOS version separately. IMO it's worth it - all of your passwords are available on all of your devices without having to think about it.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Agilebits offer 30 day trials, you can download the OS X version here: http://agilebits.com/downloads

As part of their 30 day money back, you can buy the iOS app and ask for a refund within 30 days if you're not happy: https://agilebits.com/home/money_back_guarantee

Yes, you still have to purchase a license for each platform.

50$ is a one-time fee for the 1Password 4 for Mac license, meaning that you never have to pay again unless you wish to upgrade to 1Password 5 for Mac. It'll cover all of your Macs, meaning if you have 10 Macs that you own, you can use the same single-user license on all of them without paying again.

Considering 1Password 3 was updated for 3 years with hundreds of free updates, expect the same for 1Password 4 given their track record going back to 1Password 2.

Note they offer bundle license to include Windows as well for 20$ extra at their store only.

For iOS, it's 18$ to cover all of your iOS devices as long as they're running iOS 6 or above.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I believe LastPass is free to use until you want to use it on your iOS or Android device... or if you want to eliminate ads or use some of the other advanced features you likely don't need just starting out.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
1Password is excellent. I've been using it for about four years now and I will gladly keep paying for upgrades because 1Password has completely changed my family's approach to passwords by getting us to use unique strong passwords for each site we visit.

I just wish the iOS app was updated with a more iOS 7 feel. It's even still using the pre-iOS 7 keyboard.

It'll be updated soon. There's a sneak peek at the end of their new video here: https://vimeo.com/88901304

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

I was JUST about to say this. Love the app and the features not just need the iOS 7 feel!

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
Yeah, it sounds impressive, but then they told passengers the Titanic was unsinkable due to it's state of the art engineering.

So while "256 bit locker encryption" sounds great, I don't understand what it means, whether it's appropriate, nor do I have any way of verifying it really is secure.

If you're interested in crypto, the 1Password blog is a great place to start.

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
This really worth $50? And do you have to buy separately for the iPad and iPhone version? $50 for a Mac app seems like a bit much when it just stores passwords...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I very happy using oneSafe. It's easy to use and I haven't had any problems with storage or security. I haven't used any other password app, so I can't say if it's the best/better, but it seems very similar to 1Password... and it's a lot cheaper!

OneSafe is very easy to use. I do like the Tri-Pin feature as well. Syncing over iCloud or Dropbox is great provided neither gets hacked. lol

----------

This really worth $50? And do you have to buy separately for the iPad and iPhone version? $50 for a Mac app seems like a bit much when it just stores passwords...

That is a relative question, as each of us has different wants, needs, spending limits etc.

You can test it out for 30 days for free. $68.00 for both platforms is steep for me right now.

----------

OneSafe does not have auto-fill at the moment although I believe that is being worked on. I haven't had a problem with the lack of autofill. I just open the program up on either my Mac, iPhone or iPad, depending on where I am, and either type in manually or cut and paste. I think that is one of the major differences between the two programs.

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010

So if you don't know what it means or don't understand, you just blow it off? You could, you know, read a little and educate yourself. If you're not going to do that, there's really no use proudly announcing you don't understand something so you're not going to use it. You basically have to trust a bunch of other people telling you a thing is real and good at what it claims, and 1Password is definitely the real thing and highly secure. Or you can just keep using the same weak/annoying password system you're using now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.