Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud_icon.jpg
Apple may be expanding iCloud in iOS 8 by releasing iOS versions of Preview and TextEdit that use iCloud for document retrieval and storage. It also is developing tools that will make it easier for developers to create iCloud-based applications. These improvements are expected to arrive later this year, reports 9to5Mac.
Apple is developing versions of the Mac operating system's Preview and TextEdit applications that are optimized for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The applications are said to not be designed to actually edit PDFs, images, or text documents. Instead, the apps are built to serve as tools to view Preview and TextEdit files stored in iCloud by OS X. Apple added iCloud synchronization for Preview and TextEdit with OS X Mountain Lion, but has not yet released iOS counterparts to actually view the synchronized content.
These new Preview and TextEdit apps will be document viewers only and won't include editing functionality. iPhone and iPad owners will be encouraged to use iWork applications to edit common document types and iBooks to manipulate PDFs.

These changes reflect a new development strategy championed by Apple Senior VP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi. Instead of two separate teams with one focusing on iOS and the other dedicated to OS X, Federighi has merged the teams so the same group of developers work on both the iOS and OS X versions.

Apple also is exploring ways to make iCloud app development easier for developers. Details are sparse, but Apple may provide new iCloud storage tools that allow developers to use iCloud as a file system for sharing data across iOS and OS X platforms.

Article Link: Apple Working to Boost iCloud Integration with Preview and TextEdit Document Viewer Apps for iOS 8

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Finally

iBooks to manipulate PDFs

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you do this. PDF management in iBooks is horrible. Unless it's a PDF of a book I don't want it in iBooks.

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Long overdue, but not having some of the same editing tools for PDFs that we have in Preview is a mistake. At the very least there should be something there to sign and annotate.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
This will be a welcome change if PDF document synchronization (finally!) works sensibly.

The "all or nothing" sync and the hidden folder structure implementation of iBooks in Mavericks made PDF organization a real pain.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Long, long, long overdue

However they are really the only company truly building a seamless experience. I talked my Father-in-law into buying his first iMac a few months ago (he has had an iPhone and iPad for years). He has said to me that doesn't know what is and is not in iCloud because some things just show up on all devices and he doesn't know if it was iTunes Sync or iCloud... This is the way it should be!

scrod

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
Client-side encryption?

Until iCloud uses client-side encryption with client-side keys, I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole. They can add all the features an integration they want, but it's worthless to me until I have control over my own data.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Hope to see a big bump in free storage space and the inclusion of home videos into photo stream to go along with this

No joke. 5 free GB of storage for 2 macs, an iPhone, and an iPad is not conducive to a good user experience. I bought 10 extra GB, but I'm pushing the limits on that storage space. And the absolute most you can get is 55 GB? Is this 2005? Where is my unlimited option?

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Sounds messy with regards to priview and iBooks. To sync I would have to put the PDF in priview and then to edit open it in iBooks and then put it back into priview.

If I got this right that it

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
No joke. 5 free GB of storage for 2 macs, an iPhone, and an iPad is not conducive to a good user experience. I bought 10 extra GB, but I'm pushing the limits on that storage space. And the absolute most you can get is 55 GB? Is this 2005? Where is my unlimited option?

Agreed! 5 per device, cap at 5 devices, and then offer more.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
An app is supposed to do one job really well. iBooks is a reader. Giving it PDF editing functionality makes it an application. You know, those large, confusing programs that Apple fixed when they invented iOS. You're not supposed to have to deal with menu navigation and feature overload in an app.. I wish someone there still remembered that.

Also, sharing files between iOS and OSX via iCloud? How about just make AirDrop work? It's ridiculous that I have to use DropBox just to share a file between two devices sitting on the same desk. The data travels thousands of miles to go 1 foot. But Apple's solution is to send my data thousands of miles to their servers instead of someone else's.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They need to make icloud similar to dropbox. If I am going to pay for extra storage, I want to be able to keep all of my documents and photos backed up.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007

iCloud Backup, excluding document storage, should be free and unlimited. It really sours the user experience when you hit the 5GB limit and you have to micromanage the backup. Given the amount of money they make off the hardware, this should be included in the device cost.

For document storage, the per GB cost is ridiculous. I have 3TB stored on CrashPlan for $5 a month.

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
Making Preview and Textedit for iOS as viewers only makes no sense at all.

And saying the are coming to the iOS because they got the iCloud save dialog boxes in the Mac means nothing. AppleScript editor has these as well. I doubt AppleScript is coming to iOS anytime soon.....

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I sincerely hate how iCloud file saving has been handled on the Mac so far. It defaults all of the standard applications' saving locations to iCloud, and then I have to drop the full dialog down with the arrow to search for the location I actually want (admittedly, it sometimes shows up in the recents just under the iCloud option).

On a semi-related note, the dialog the pops up when you first launch Textedit sucks! It increases the amount of time the application takes to open, and it adds steps between launching the app from spotlight and entering text. I've switched to Sublime but will be looking for fixes.

</rant></firstworldproblems>

EDIT: If anybody else hates this, read this reply to my post!

Last edited:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Big news is this bit:

Instead of two separate teams with one focusing on iOS and the other dedicated to OS X, Federighi has merged the teams so the same group of developers work on both the iOS and OS X versions.

Glad to see them both teams working on the same app.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you do this. PDF management in iBooks is horrible. Unless it's a PDF of a book I don't want it in iBooks.

You must not annotate many documents...

I'll give you a hint, PDFs that are annotated or cropped on Macs and saved to iOS devices will be unannoted and uncropped on iBooks.

If you don't want to use it, don't use it.

TimWillz

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Massively welcomed.

Personally I'm really happy preview is coming to iOS (if it is). As a student it is a real pain that iBooks does not sync uploaded PDF's across all my devices.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
I think perhaps by WWDC 2014 Apple will finally have figured out what they can and can't do with iCloud for developers and put in place some robust APIs use we can all . They're getting closer on generic CoreData sync but I don't honestly think they're ever going to get it to work better than 95% (that's generous). If this article is correct it seems that something much simpler a-la-Dropbox is on the way. Not the lofty aims of the original, but perhaps a practical approach to getting developers to come back to iCloud.

Can't really mess it up again. The reality vs the actuality of what was promised in the first WWDC was wide indeed.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
I work inside a hospital (i.e. behind a hardcore firewall) and access to iCloud is blocked. The dependance on iCloud access really mucks things up, especially for inexperienced users who get error messages. While the apps don't require iCloud access, they are structured in such a way that iCloud sync is the default method for saving and opening files.

I'd like to see Apple bolster the security features of iCloud so the hospital security team feels comfortable with our data residing there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.