Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Sounds messy with regards to priview and iBooks. To sync I would have to put the PDF in priview and then to edit open it in iBooks and then put it back into priview.

If I got this right that it

Just do all the editing on your Mac in the first place. And the name of the software is "PREVIEW" not Priview. :p

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
iCloud Backup, excluding document storage, should be free and unlimited. It really sours the user experience when you hit the 5GB limit and you have to micromanage the backup. Given the amount of money they make off the hardware, this should be included in the device cost.

For document storage, the per GB cost is ridiculous. I have 3TB stored on CrashPlan for $5 a month.

I agree with you to an extent. While I don't like paying extra for storage unless the price is fair (because Dropbox's price structure is stupid dumb) if Apple gave unlimited storage for free that would also open up a can of worms. There are plenty enough hackintosh trolls out there that would take advantage of this. If Apple's cloud storage could tell if the device was a real Mac then it would make sense for them to do this. I'm not saying this is reason they don't offer free unlimited storage, I'm saying that this is one of the reasons why they shouldn't offer it.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Why Preview and TextEdit viewers? Preview is robust enough to display text-only and RTF documents. This must be evolutionary, with future releases planned that will permit editing.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Long overdue, but not having some of the same editing tools for PDFs that we have in Preview is a mistake. At the very least there should be something there to sign and annotate.

With iCloud there is the potential for Apple to provide something really useful in terms of signatures, namely proper digital signing of documents (PDF, Pages, Numbers etc.). It's all very well being able to mash your signature on top of a PDF, but that means nothing unless the document itself is signed cryptographically. Since AppleID / iCloud is tightly under Apple's control, it would be possible for them to implement such a signing service.

Currently, if you want to digitally sign documents you have to do it the hard way with digital certificates or use a third party. It would be a great bonus if I could simply enable a checkbox that says 'Digitally sign this document with my Apple ID'.

Digital signing isn't for everyone, but currently it's dead easy for someone to fake a PDF with your signature on it.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
When they can get their cloud mail working right, and when I can actually use iCloud like Dropbox, I'll pay Apple $100/year rather than Dropbox. Until then, it's iCloud that is the hobby.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Anyone else find iCloud a little bit confusing? I never know what's being sync'd, what its overlapping with, which parts are eating space etc.

Instead of using iCloud, I prefer OneDrive atm. Hopefully they add better customization and more freedom with iCloud in iOS8.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Yet another great reason for consumers to embrace the benefits of iCloud. I'm really starting to fall in love with Apple's cloud offerings. iCloud is getting better every day and Apple is already so far ahead of the competition in terms of cloud offerings it's insane. I think you'd have to be completely crazy to ditch iOS at this point and switch to another mobile platform.

Meicyn

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2007
This is definitely something that would help a ton. I'm using iBooks to handle my large library of PDFs on the go at the moment only because I can't access Preview files.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Yes finally! Most people use one Mac anyway, so PDF en TextEdit syncing was basically useless. I welcome this change with open arms.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yet another great reason for consumers to embrace the benefits of iCloud. I'm really starting to fall in love with Apple's cloud offerings. iCloud is getting better every day and Apple is already so far ahead of the competition in terms of cloud offerings it's insane. I think you'd have to be completely crazy to ditch iOS at this point and switch to another mobile platform.

While I agree they are getting better, they are definitely not ahead of the competition with cloud storage. If anything, they are severely behind. The only edge they have is the backing up of IOS devices.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I agree with you to an extent. While I don't like paying extra for storage unless the price is fair (because Dropbox's price structure is stupid dumb) if Apple gave unlimited storage for free that would also open up a can of worms. There are plenty enough hackintosh trolls out there that would take advantage of this. If Apple's cloud storage could tell if the device was a real Mac then it would make sense for them to do this. I'm not saying this is reason they don't offer free unlimited storage, I'm saying that this is one of the reasons why they shouldn't offer it.

The only thing I suggested they offer unlimited storage for is iDevice backup. That's it. Because if you're only given 5GB, and you have multiple devices under an Apple ID, you're going to run up against that 5GB backup fairly quickly, especially if you never empty out the Camera Roll, as the majority of less tech savvy customers (read: most of my family) do.

The amount of server storage then, is limited by the amount of space on your iDevice, and with a $100 per tier hardware premium, that cost would cover it on the server side as well. Buy a 32GB iPhone? You should at least be able to back the entire device up, Camera Roll and all, to your iCloud account without seeing messages about your space being full, which is going to confuse a lot of people, or piss them off.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
But you forgot...

No joke. 5 free GB of storage for 2 macs, an iPhone, and an iPad is not conducive to a good user experience. I bought 10 extra GB, but I'm pushing the limits on that storage space. And the absolute most you can get is 55 GB? Is this 2005? Where is my unlimited option?

iPhoto capacity does not count against this, along with a list of other uses that don't count against this limit....

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Anyone else find iCloud a little bit confusing? I never know what's being sync'd, what its overlapping with, which parts are eating space etc.

Instead of using iCloud, I prefer OneDrive atm. Hopefully they add better customization and more freedom with iCloud in iOS8.

Yes, it's a badly thought out mess, which is why everyone uses Dropbox instead.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

I personally know few Chinese cloud storage provider offering 1TB storage for free permanently. I am not saying Apple would do that for free, they should at least expand storage to at least 20GB or 50GB. I have 5 iPads. 2 iPod Touch and 3 Macs at home, 5GB limit really is not sufficient for me. I am currently using SkyDrive and Box for my need

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
iCloud Backup, excluding document storage, should be free and unlimited. It really sours the user experience when you hit the 5GB limit and you have to micromanage the backup. Given the amount of money they make off the hardware, this should be included in the device cost.

For document storage, the per GB cost is ridiculous. I have 3TB stored on CrashPlan for $5 a month.

CrashPlan and Apple are two very different entities. Apple is expected to continuously increase their profits and still power their servers using renewable resources. It's a lot cheaper and therefore profitable to power servers using coal. If you care for the environment, pay more for Apple. If you don't give squat, go cheap. You are free to make your own decisions.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
the only thing i can think about iCloud is larger space for free. come on! 5 gig is a joke :(

----------

Yes, it's a badly thought out mess, which is why everyone uses Dropbox instead.

very well put :p
i have no idea why something syncs and something doesn't. the helpful bits are my contact and calendar sync across devices.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Some reality would be nice...

I know, add text and RTF view/edit to... Pages. Give the PDF manipulating capabilities that Preview has to Pages as well. Then set it up so that whenever I save text or PDF's to iCloud, Pages will let me do viewing/editing. I don't mind iBooks displaying PDF's. It works for me when I'm teaching (our instructor manuals are all PDF's). When someone sends me a PDF to fill out, I'd like to have one editor to worry about using.

This just seems to be common sense to me. Why are we fragmenting into multiple apps and viewing/editing? Why make a mess? I thought the goal of Apple was, "It just works." How does what I recommend NOT just work?

For that matter add MarkDown to Pages, with a viewer and an export. Then it would REALLY be 2014.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

How is iCloud ahead of the competition?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
No joke. 5 free GB of storage for 2 macs, an iPhone, and an iPad is not conducive to a good user experience. I bought 10 extra GB, but I'm pushing the limits on that storage space. And the absolute most you can get is 55 GB? Is this 2005? Where is my unlimited option?

Agreed.

You should get 5GB per iOS device and 15GB per Mac that's linked to your iCloud account.

Then charge $0.10-0.15/GB thereafter like most reputable companies do (ie RackSpace).

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
They need to make icloud similar to dropbox. If I am going to pay for extra storage, I want to be able to keep all of my documents and photos backed up.

They need to make it like iDisk which is what Apple ditched to go iCloud. (Actually, DropBox probably has better sharing features, but I just felt the need to mention the old iDisk feature which had been around for years FROM Apple for those who are newer to the Apple ecosystem).

Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.