Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been rumored for some time to be working on an "iWatch" featuring biometric sensors and integration with other iOS devices, and a recently published patent application (via AppleInsider) addressing pedometer functions is being presented as evidence that the company is indeed working on a wrist-worn fitness device.
In some implementations, optimizations for detecting steps when a pedometer is worn at a user's wrist are described. In some implementations, a threshold crossing step detection method can be enhanced for wrist locations by counting the number of positive peaks between comparison threshold crossings, adjusting a minimum peak-to-peak threshold for qualifying threshold crossings, and inferring a second step based on the amount of time between threshold crossings. In some implementations, the pedometer can automatically determine that the pedometer is being worn on a user's wrist.
apple_wrist_pedometer-patent.jpg
The problem with this interpretation is that Apple already offers a product with a built-in pedometer and which is frequently worn on the wrist or arm: the iPod nano with Nike+ integration. Also supporting the idea that this research was pursued with the iPod in mind is the fact that the sole inventor listed on the patent, Yash Modi, is open about his work on iPod pedometer functionality during his time at the company. Modi left Apple in March 2012 to join Nest.

modi_ipod_pedometer.jpg
While such pedometer functionality is likely to make its way into the iWatch given rumors of emphasis on biometric sensors for the device, Apple's patent application is by no means a smoking gun given that the technology has been in use for a number of years already. The built-in pedometer debuted in the fifth-generation iPod nano introduced in September 2009.

Still, Apple's "Wrist Pedometer Step Detection" patent offers an interesting glimpse at how Apple has worked to optimize algorithms for detecting steps when a device is worn on the wrist. Unlike standard pedometers that are worn on the waist and provide consistent step data, the wrist adds complexity to step measurement because its motion is not always tied to actual forward movement. Algorithms analyzing wrist movement data must isolate actual steps from the background movement when users are typing, driving or performing other common tasks.

Apple's filtering method of step analysis accurately measures this movement and has the added benefit of being able to analyze movement from a device that is worn anywhere on the body. The software powering the device also can determine when a device is worn on the wrist or another body part and will adjust its analysis based on the device's location.

Apple is expected to unveil its iWatch wearable later this year with health and productivity features that connect the device to a user's iPhone or iPad via Siri and iOS 8's Healthbook app.

Article Link: Apple's iPod Nano Pedometer Patent Application Sparks iWatch Speculation

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
All of a sudden I've got an urge to watch one of those stick-men Kung-Fu animations..

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
So the iWatch will allow amputees to strut with confidence?

WIIOHO3.gif

Last edited:

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Pedometers are funny

They don't actually tell you how much calories you burn when you are stationary.

Ie lifting, yoga, cycling

I mean no offense but the people with pedometers buy them don't lose weight and throw them in a drawer.

Get a heart rate sensor and eat well.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Pedo in Spanish means fart, so a Pedometer would be a device that quantices your farts. Very clever.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Pedometers are funny

They don't actually tell you how much calories you burn when you are stationary.

I mean no offense but the people with pedometers buy them don't lose weight and throw them in a drawer.

Right, and spoons are funny too. They can't cut food. Forks are odd too. When you eat soup with them all the broth escapes!

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I want all these health functions, but I don't see me wanting to swap my current watch for an Apple one - I hope there's going to be an alternative, something like a high-tech version of the UP that I can wear on the other wrist.

stevenglass

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
USEastCoast
Well, probably no because...

Seems to me, if this were so, the person in the drawing would be wearing a wristwatch. Its an attention to details thing.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Will it and Healthbook™ calculate how long before you need knee surgery and a hip replacement due to excess exercise and joint impact?

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
It seemed to me that Apple was on to something with its Sixth-generation iPod Nano. I liked how some accessory makers created bands for it so you could wear it like a watch. I was tempted to get one because of that.

This made me wonder if maybe Apple's so-called iWatch is actually an 8th-gen iPod Nano that is beefed up with biometric sensors and can communicate with your iPhone. Perhaps instead of creating a new product line, Apple could reinvigorate the iPod line.

Just a thought.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Pedometers are funny

Unfortunately, your advice doesn't work for everyone, either.

In a bid to lose weight and get into better shape, I bought the Nike+ pedometer kit seven years ago.

It didn't get tossed into a drawer. I still use it every day.

I've logged 20,000 miles and have lost (and kept off) 20 pounds.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
How many new patents Apple keeps having ideas about, and how many of them actually go public ? :rolleyes:

This it like a 'nightmare on elm street' When i wake up, it will all be gone.

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Unfortunately, your advice doesn't work for everyone, either.

In a bid to lose weight and get into better shape, I bought the Nike+ pedometer kit seven years ago.

It didn't get tossed into a drawer. I still use it every day.

I've logged 20,000 miles and have lost (and kept off) 20 pounds.

And you didn't lose the weight because of nike

U must of ate differently

Your pedometer tell u that?

No

It's all about calories

Congrats on your weight loss

I lost 25+ lbs myself

Gained lots of muscle too

Autrement

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
You must be overweight

You even lift bro?

"You even lift bro?" I laughed at first because this would have been a really fantastic parody of what some meathead dudebro would say, but on second reading and on comparing to this guy's earlier posts, he appears to be perfectly serious.

At least he wrote "you" instead of "u" this time.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You must be overweight

You even lift bro?

Yes, I'm as fat as you are clever, which is to say not at all. Clearly you realized the stupidity of your original post & had no intellectual comeback to my response.

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Yes, I'm as fat as you are clever, which is to say not at all. Clearly you realized the stupidity of your original post & had no intellectual comeback to my response.

You don't like being teased

You are one of the few success stories with Fitbit

You walked. Wow

Clap
Clap
Clap

Where are your muscles?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You don't like being teased

You are one of the few success stories with Fitbit

You walked. Wow

Clap
Clap
Clap

Where are your muscles?

Teased? I don't even know you. Teasing is something friends do to each other. Your comments were just defensive and nothing more that an childish attack because you had no intellectual response. But since you care so much about me, I run 30 miles a week, but I'm self confident that I don't need to mock people that might want to walk to build my ego. Anything that gets people moving is great to me. I do love activity monitors, yes. But they are just tools, which was my original point to your original post. Every tool has a distinct use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.