Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A screenshot of an iOS 8 homescreen with the new Healthbook, Preview and TextEdit icons was posted to China's Weibo microblog and spotted by 9to5Mac. The source of the screenshot cannot be verified, but insiders close to 9to5Mac claim the icons represented in the image are legitimate.

ios8-healthbook-preview-textedit.jpg

Healthbook is Apple's rumored fitness app for iOS 8 and its icon revealed in the screenshot loosely matches earlier descriptions. It may connect to the iWatch and track vital health and fitness parameters such as calories burned, heart rate and potentially other statistics like hydration and blood glucose levels.

Preview and TextEdit may debut in iOS later this year as part of an expansion of Apple's iCloud service. Their icons mirror those of their OS X counterparts, which is unusual as Apple uses different icons for its OS X and iOS apps. This suggests the icons are placeholders and may change before the apps are released. Tips is an unknown app, and its role in iOS 8 is not certain.

Overall, the screenshot shows the iOS 8 design appearing essentially identical to that of iOS 7, although this may change over time as work continues on the next-generation operating system. Apple is expected to unveil iOS 8 later this year at WWDC 2014 and release it publicly sometime this fall. Besides underlying improvements to services like Maps and Siri, it also is expected to include health and fitness features that will integrate with Apple's iWatch wearable device.

Article Link: iOS 8 Screenshot Reveals New Healthbook, Preview and TextEdit Icons

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Mark Gurman from 9to5Mac has a 100% perfect track record when it comes to his own sources. Yeah, 100%, he’s never been wrong so far out of the 30 times he chimed in on something and it later got verified.

And now he’s saying:
"I have confirmed with several sources that these shots are legitimate"

Of course those OS X-esque icons are placeholders, but I would still expect those feature in iOS 8 judging by Gurman's accuracy.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Apple doesn't typically use OS X icons as placeholders for iOS (as far as I can remember), so my first guess is that this is obviously fake.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Looks like, we are going to get a heart sensor, a calorie counter and a pedometer if the icons on health book are anything to go by.

No iTunes Radio app?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
It's like someone heard the latest rumors of iCloud "apps" and stuck quick shots on a space iOS background.

admmasters

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
London
Lol! So they have just shrunk the preview and textedit icons from OSX and put them over black/white block colours. Obviously fake.

minhvn

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Looks fake to me. And there will no chance that Apple will use the exact same icon found on OS X for iOS.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I guess the trained chimpanzee they have that made the iOS 7 applications hasn't had time to work on the Preview and TextEdit icons yet.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Apple doesn't typically use OS X icons as placeholders for iOS (as far as I can remember), so my first guess is that this is obviously fake.

Lol! So they have just shrunk the preview and textedit icons from OSX and put them over black/white block colours. Obviously fake.

Looks fake to me. And there will no chance that Apple will use the exact same icon found on OS X for iOS.

Might want to actual read the article first.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I'm sceptical around the TextEdit app over anything else. Why would Apple put the 'quick and filthy' file editor tool into iOS? You can't see the filesystem, and I use TextEdit on my Mac solely to modify the .hosts file - why would it be on iOS?

Notes is there for the quick noting of 'stuff', and Pages does the whole lot. It's a middle-man product.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I really dig those icons! This is the kind of graphical overhaul we need; finally rid of skeuomorphic traces like… paper, pen, photographs, a magnif—Okay, okay, what the hell? I know they're placeholder icons, but it isn't difficult to throw a couple of gradients behind white outlines! :p

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
How on earth can you know what icons Apple uses as placeholders?

msheldrick

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
Plus, you'll find the word Previews is ever so slightly off centre to the icon

EDIT: same for Healthbook

Attachments

• ios8-healthbook-preview-textedit.jpg
    ios8-healthbook-preview-textedit.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 784
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.