Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
i-think-this-might-be-photoshopped1_zpsbd53325d.jpg

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
No doubt inviting a huge barrel of bad Design Karma to fall on me, but the new Health icon is a mad combination of simple & ridiculously finicky, tiny detail. Ugh.

And the others? How could Apple do that terrible thing to Voice Memos...

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Obviously these icons are merely placeholders - nothing has ever really been leaked this early on iOS, so we don't know what Apple use. Based on Gurman's and 9to5's track record, I assume that these apps are at least being tested for iOS 8. I doubt the lack of a highly polished icon will affect that they're included.

The 'Tips' app seems a bit weird. I though the whole philosophy of iOS was that it didn't need an instruction manual because it was so intuitive - is this a sign of how complicated and unintuitive iOS has become?

Otherwise, I'd assume that this is almost bang on. Weird that they didn't bother opening the apps and taking screenshots though (presuming the apps actually function - of course, they could just literally be placeholders with no actual app yet.)

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
I'm all for for iCloud integration. But please Appleincrease the default storage limit. 5GB is not nearly enough if you start adding PDF's

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm sceptical around the TextEdit app over anything else. Why would Apple put the 'quick and filthy' file editor tool into iOS? You can't see the filesystem, and I use TextEdit on my Mac solely to modify the .hosts file - why would it be on iOS?

The details are a little janky, but if there’s any truth to the preview and textedit-ish tools shown, that a suggestion of a potentially unified repository of some sort. Not an exposed FS, but exposing a public storage location that you could grant perms to each app (not unlike photos). A few API methods for meta-data tags (that sync across your devices including OSX), and that’s a big step in the right direction to making iOS bridge more of the post-PC gap :)

[edit]

Didn’t even see there’s a whole thread dedicated to this ... :D

Last edited:

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
I'm sceptical around the TextEdit app over anything else. Why would Apple put the 'quick and filthy' file editor tool into iOS? You can't see the filesystem, and I use TextEdit on my Mac solely to modify the .hosts file - why would it be on iOS?

Notes is there for the quick noting of 'stuff', and Pages does the whole lot. It's a middle-man product.

Agreed. It's a middleman product who's job should be pushed to notes, while previews job (minor editing of PDF's) should be pushed to Pages. iBooks can keep displaying PDF's (it works for enough people, if I don't like a function, I don't use it).

Why add more crap instead of simplify? I though Apple was about, "it just works." This just doesn't.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Plus, you'll find the word Previews is ever so slightly off centre to the icon

EDIT: same for Healthbook

Could be due to parallax - if the screenshot was taken at an angle, the labels move very slightly differently than the icons IIRC, meaning it could be off centre slightly.

Not saying you're wrong, but I think that could be a reason for it.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
This just in! Word as Steam coming to iOS 8!
They're legit guys, I verified it myself!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bins_DlCcAAHzNB.jpg

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
to be honest ill enjoy the next version of iOS with whatever features it may bring, i just don't want anymore damn dots for the signal anymore

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
So the source is well known and oft-confirmed and yet still the MacRumors community can't bring themselves to pull their heads of the sand without screaming fake!!

Clearly they are placeholder icons. Grow up already.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Macrumors, you normally do your homework very well. But still you make the mistake of keeping this blood glucose rumor alive. Do some research please. You could improve the quality of your news articles by removing nonsense.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
The details are a little janky, but if there’s any truth to the preview and textedit-ish tools shown, that a suggestion of a potentially unified repository of some sort. Not an exposed FS, but exposing a public storage location that you could grant perms to each app (not unlike photos). A few API methods for meta-data tags (that sync across your devices including OSX), and that’s a big step in the right direction to making iOS bridge more of the post-PC gap :)
I see your point there, but I don't see why you would need to 'micro-manage' app permissions, that's bad UX - and makes it very Androidy. It would be good if we could use it as a "USB mass storage device" and drop files on and off it, either through iCloud, USB or AirDrop, preview could be used to view this little repo, and open the correct app? If it was to work, it needs to be the Apple 'just works' idea, micro-managing isn't any good nowadays.

Scyanide

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I may be the only one but with Notes and Pages all free now I really don't see the point of TextEdit anymore. I can't remember the last time I've used the application. For me, if this is true, TextEdit on the iPhone will be another app that goes into my folder of apps I can't remove but don't want to see.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Clearly they are placeholder icons. Grow up already.

IMHO Clearly they are not. Not only that, but this is such an obvious fake I felt compelled to waste everyone's time reading this comment since I was duped into clicking on a link to such a non-newsworthy troll of a "story". So there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.