Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
This is just waiting to become a news trivia joke on Wait Wait.. Don't Tell Me!

Anywho All I have to say is: cocky people in the plane, but the end is just great. Enjoy.

BL.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
That was great. How long until the camera mfg. tries to capitalize on this?

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
What's with all the crazy uses of cameras lately? The bird who stole one, the camera egg, and now this?

I like it though. :D

What I don't know is if this was dropped intentionally, or by accident; I'm assuming the latter, since some unverified stories I've found on it say that they didn't recover the camera for 8 months.

If that is true, that's hilarious.

BL.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Is the video being posted by the farmer who found it or the folks on the plane? I would also have to wonder about whether this was faked.... a camera deliberately dropped and recovered from a open field (perhaps with a small drogue to keep it from going too fast) and then that footage spliced into some with the pig. I find the coincidence of a camera dropped from a plane and surviving to land in a cute pig pen just a bit too neat....

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Is the video being posted by the farmer who found it or the folks on the plane? I would also have to wonder about whether this was faked.... a camera deliberately dropped and recovered from a open field (perhaps with a small drogue to keep it from going too fast) and then that footage spliced into some with the pig. I find the coincidence of a camera dropped from a plane and surviving to land in a cute pig pen just a bit too neat....

Looking at the description of the video, the farmer found the camera in his pig pin 8 months after it was dropped out of the plane. So the farmer posted the video. The question really becomes whether the camera was deliberately dropped or not. I'm thinking not deliberate, because of how nonchalant and cocky the people were in the plane. As far as it landing in the pig pen, I would say that that was completely coincidental, and lucky; the mud and slop in the pin is definitely a lot softer than cold hard ground or concrete, so that camera is lucky to still work after all that time, let alone the farmer finally discovering it.

But damn.. whatever the manufacturer was that made that camera better make that pig their mascot! :D

BL.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Looking at the description of the video, the farmer found the camera in his pig pin 8 months after it was dropped out of the plane. So the farmer posted the video. The question really becomes whether the camera was deliberately dropped or not. I'm thinking not deliberate, because of how nonchalant and cocky the people were in the plane. As far as it landing in the pig pen, I would say that that was completely coincidental, and lucky; the mud and slop in the pin is definitely a lot softer than cold hard ground or concrete, so that camera is lucky to still work after all that time, let alone the farmer finally discovering it.

But damn.. whatever the manufacturer was that made that camera better make that pig their mascot! :D

BL.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean to tell me a farmer took 10 minutes out of his/her busy day to watch the video, and post it to youtube? :D

Let alone a farmer that has the internet!!!!!! :eek::eek:

:)

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
But damn.. whatever the manufacturer was that made that camera better make that pig their mascot!.

It is allegedly one of those GoPro Hero models you see strapped to the noggin of every skateboarder and bungee-jumper in all of Christendom.

I'd imagine some careful analysis could work out whether or not the video was faked: How long it took to hit the ground after falling from the plane? Did it reach true terminal velocity? If so, what sort of G-forces would it undergo splashing down in a pigsty - and is it plausible that a camera - even a ruggedized one like the GoPro could not only survive, but keep on recording with nary a hitch?

Call me a little skeptical at this point. I don't see why the camera should have stopped spinning of its own accord as it fell. Unless it happened to have some sort of aerodynamic device (a ballute of some sort?) there doesn't seem to be any rational explanation for that part of the descent.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
It is allegedly one of those GoPro Hero models you see strapped to the noggin of every skateboarder and bungee-jumper in all of Christendom.

I'd imagine some careful analysis could work out whether or not the video was faked: How long it took to hit the ground after falling from the plane? Did it reach true terminal velocity? If so, what sort of G-forces would it undergo splashing down in a pigsty - and is it plausible that a camera - even a ruggedized one like the GoPro could not only survive, but keep on recording with nary a hitch?

Call me a little skeptical at this point. I don't see why the camera should have stopped spinning of its own accord as it fell. Unless it happened to have some sort of aerodynamic device (a ballute of some sort?) there doesn't seem to be any rational explanation for that part of the descent.

Found this in the comments:

time of descent: 37s
acceleration due to gravity: 9.8ms-2
Assuming there's no air resistance
s=ut+1/2at^2
s=(0)(37)+(1/2)(9.8)(37)^2
s=6708.1m
Plane was 6708.1m high when the camera fell :)

Now, I doubt the math there, because 6708.1m = 22,000ft. Not possible in that aircraft type (looking to be either a Piper or Cessna Caravan; their ceiling is too short), plus cabin air has to be pressurized above 13,000ft.

And regardless of object, all objects fall at a speed of 32ft/second. But you're right; some math should definitely tell you the height of the aircraft, based on the time it takes from the camera falling to when it hits the ground.

BL.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
And regardless of object, all objects fall at a speed of 32ft/second.

Thats the acceleration of an object falling in a vacuum. (Which is why Felix Baumgartner broke sound barrier in free fall.)

The camera was falling for roughly 30 seconds - and obviously being relatively light and unaerodynamic, its terminal velocity is much less than, say, a free falling human. So, it suggests it fell from about 5000 feet - which would be about right for a skydiving plane, and matches up with the apparent altitude seen at the beginning of the video.

Apparently the weird video effect is the result of the (fast) frame rate of the GoPro matching the rotation of the camera as it fell. That I find too much of a coincidence: if the GoPro has a 60 cycle frame rate - what are the odds that its spiral to the ground exactly matches that frequency so closely?

Other questions: Fortunate the camera happened to land right side up (not lens down in the pig poop). And did Mr Porker have come over right away to investigate? And why did the finder of this camera wait months before posting it?

It is certainly possible the footage is the result of some careful editing: i.e.. Take the footage from a falling camera, and add it to that of one carefully placed on a pig sty.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Now, I doubt the math there, because 6708.1m = 22,000ft. Not possible in that aircraft type (looking to be either a Piper or Cessna Caravan; their ceiling is too short), plus cabin air has to be pressurized above 13,000ft.

I counted 27 seconds (the fall started at 13sec, ended at 40sec). So, according to this handy website's calculations the plane was about 11,500 - 12,000ft up.

And regardless of object, all objects fall at a speed of 32ft/second.

You failed to take into account air resistance. There is something called terminal velocity where an falling object will no longer accelerate. Drop a feather and a marble at the same time, the marble hits the ground first because it is less affected by air resistance.

Last edited:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Hard to fake that. No chute or anything visible in the fall. Unless the whole thing is just a production...

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
What I found interesting was the scrolling double image during the fall.

Precisely - can't have been a GoPro, and I don't know of any sort of camera other than one that records onto tape that would suffer that distortion. It's also highly unlikely that one with a tape mechanism would have survived that fall - even into mud, and certainly not carefully balanced lens-upwards.

I'm voting fake on this - but still entertaining.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Wait, wait, wait. You mean to tell me a farmer took 10 minutes out of his/her busy day to watch the video, and post it to youtube? :D

Let alone a farmer that has the internet!!!!!! :eek::eek:

:)

Now, now. Farming today is surprisingly high-tech. I mean, farmers have internet and even shoes, too. You'd be surprised.

----------

I don't know of any sort of camera other than one that records onto tape that would suffer that distortion

Actually it was a classical rolling-shutter effect as the camera wheeled and spun during its fall. No tape need be involved.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I somehow doubt this "fall" wasn't doctored.

The pig appears only a few seconds after the camera landed ? What are the odds of it landing right next to a pig ?

-t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.