Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Preview could also be used to view PDFs, or any type of text document

Yes, but we can already view this with native apps like Mail, Safari, etc..

Unless Apple is letting you store PDF's locally on your phone instead of in iBooks. Then Preview would make sense.

TextEdit would be great so I can copy and paste (unformatted text) into a SSH app.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Don't kill me for asking, but what's the purpose of TextEdit now that Pages is free and we've had Notes since forever? I never use it on the Mac.

Scripting; text-editing?

It's not really a note taking/ Desktop Publishing app.. :)

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Ios8 seems like the snow leopard for mobile. Lots of improvements coming.

They need quick replies on the notification center IMO. Take some pointers from the jailbreak community.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
  • Fixing the notification center - good.
  • Killing Game Center - probably bad, but only if they were going to actually fix it (make it visually fit the OS, make social gaming on it actually work, make
  • Sharing info between apps - has been needed since iOS2. And just think, third party apps could use such an interface to completely lock out Apple Maps in favour of the user's choice. Not enough though.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
I use TextEdit on my Mac more than either Pages or MS Word.

It's incredibly useful for when I just need to make a short list, or I want to type up something (with a LITTLE formatting at least -- something Notes doesn't provide). Especially since it opens up so much faster than Pages, even with an SSD -- important when you're trying to make a note of something really quickly, like if you're on the phone or something.

I suppose notes could probably fulfill that functionality for me, but I prefer to be able to save documents wherever I want, instead of being strongarmed by Apple into throwing them all into an indiscriminant pile. Also, notes always used to be so ugly -- the yellow notepad paper was hard to work with.

Seriously .... why doesnt apple just add text formating to Notes and kill the yellow background instead of adding yet an other app that does almost the same ??:confused:

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I know I sound like a curmudgeon, but really, they JUST put out 7.1, which still has issues and doesn't really work like I know a lot of people wish it would. Can't they just take a year "off" and improve upon all the missteps of 7 and wait until putting out an entirely new major version (which, in true Apple fashion, will be rife with an entirely new set of bugs and annoyances)?

Same for OS X. Every new release breaks something that worked perfectly in the version before it, and it takes the entire life cycle to fix only to be broken again in the next major release. (Hint hint-still can't swipe to navigate Finder in Mavericks).

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Android's swipe down Notification is excellent, just basically copy it.

It's cool and can control whatever is active. Very useful. Same on iOS 8 would make sense.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Don't kill me for asking, but what's the purpose of TextEdit now that Pages is free and we've had Notes since forever? I never use it on the Mac.

I had the same thought.. Do we really need both Notes and TextEdit on an iOS device?

I use SimpleNote on all of my MacOS and iOS devices.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
It would be nice for the USER to get rid of any app they want to.... nice to see stupid game center going away, that was useless. I would love to get rid of other buklshit apps like Passbook (which does NOTHING!), Stocks, newsstand and Apple Maps

While we're at it, refresh the icons so they are pretty again....

im sorry this will never happen !

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
I would actually like to see them use the Game Center app more, namely allow me to not show any games as app icons, and instead use Game Center to list and launch them in the same way Newsstand does now.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
Please give us quick reply in ios 8. Number one reason why I still jailbreak. So crazy that Apple hasn't put this in ios but in osx.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
If they were to take away the Game Center standalone app and instill a small part of it on every game would that not take up a lot more space then the game center app alone? Thus taking away more space for the consumer?

CDew

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
Why Cant We Set Alerts for Individual Calendars?

It's amazing to me that Apple still won't allow us to set alerts for each calendar individually. The current all-or-none model for shared calendar alerts is pathetic.

Does Apple not get that in a house with a His, Hers and House calendar that we may not want to get our spouses alerts?

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Please give us quick reply in ios 8. Number one reason why I still jailbreak. So crazy that Apple hasn't put this in ios but in osx.

Exactly what I was thinking !!! Arent iOS and OS X teams working togeter now ? why they miss things like that is beyond me ...

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I would actually like to see them use the Game Center app more, namely allow me to not show any games as app icons, and instead use Game Center to list and launch them in the same way Newsstand does now.

I support this. Though the addition of unlimited folders has weakened the utility of this solution slightly.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Haha, a comment on 9to5Mac wondered how long it would take MacRumors to copy/paste this article over here. :D I'd love it if MacRumors had their own scoops once in a while. :)

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I use TextEdit on my Mac more than either Pages or MS Word.

It's incredibly useful for when I just need to make a short list, or I want to type up something (with a LITTLE formatting at least -- something Notes doesn't provide). Especially since it opens up so much faster than Pages, even with an SSD -- important when you're trying to make a note of something really quickly, like if you're on the phone or something.

Press command-T on your keyboard. Notes suddenly has formatting! ;)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I hope to see some major fixes in iOS8. I want to come back to iOS and the iPhone but can't just give up on usability and functionality.

Notification center was one of the few features I am glad they ripped from Android and at the time it was better. Now it, and the control center at the bottom, are just terrible.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Sounds like solid, reasonable moves. I'm a fan of 90% of what iOS 7 did - especially with 7.1 - but Notification Center was just poorly done. It essentially becomes a second inbox to triage and clear. I still have notifications that are extremely irrelevant. Oh great, Dark Sky told me it was going to drizzle 2 days ago.

Hopefully Today view becomes a bit more Google Nowish, and "All" view learns to clean up after itself or be more relevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.