Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandPebble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Received an email from Amazon stating that Prime will increase to $99 per year.

Still a good deal for me because of all the stuff I buy from Amazon.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Received an email from Amazon stating that Prime will increase to $99 per year.

Still a good deal for me because of all the stuff I buy from Amazon.

Agree^^^^

I shop extensively at Amazon, ordering a very large number of items each year. I've saved several multiples of the cost of Prime, even at $99 it is still very worthwhile for me.

Fo someone ordering only a few items each year, it is probably not worth it, although they do have a decent video library included in the Prime membership.

I've always been very pleased in dealing with Amazon, and have found their customer service to be excellent. I'll be renewing my Prime membership at the new, higher price.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Fo someone ordering only a few items each year, it is probably not worth it, although they do have a decent video library included in the Prime membership.

You can also read a free book each month on your Kindle if you have one.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Oh! This I didn't know this. Is just for the month and then they pull it, or you get a free book each month for the kindle?

You get one book per calendar month with no expiration date. I don't have it, but know about from reading on other websites.

Check out this page for the details.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I use it too. The ast time I checked Amazon still offers free shipping on orders over $25 if you don't mind waiting a week or so for it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If you don't have Prime and are debating whether or not to get it, you still have 7 days to get it at the lower rate of $79.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-03-13 at 8.25.02 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-03-13 at 8.25.02 AM.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 89

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh! This I didn't know this. Is just for the month and then they pull it, or you get a free book each month for the kindle?

You can keep the book as long as you want but you only get one per month. Think of it somewhat like Netflix, you don't get another until you return the other but if you return in the same month, you need to wait.

At first I was thinking that was a bit of a hike but I think as long as I continue to shop on Amazon for the most part, it still pays off. Add the free book a month and the Amazon Prime Streaming, it's still a decent deal. Free 2-day shipping and the book makes this a much better deal than Netflix streaming if you think about it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I, too, received the email this morning. Even at $99, it's still a great deal for someone like me who orders a lot of stuff from them.

No complaints from me.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
count me in.

totally worth it for me. signed up when they started prime, and i'll give up my membership when they pry it from my cold dead credit card...:eek:

free books, fast shipping, and streaming 'Goonies' for free whenever i want, EPIC!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
totally worth it for me. signed up when they started prime, and i'll give up my membership when they pry it from my cold dead credit card...:eek:

free books, fast shipping, and streaming 'Goonies' for free whenever i want, EPIC!

That actually made me laugh out loud.:D

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
You get one book per calendar month with no expiration date. I don't have it, but know about from reading on other websites.

Check out this page for the details.

You can keep the book as long as you want but you only get one per month. Think of it somewhat like Netflix, you don't get another until you return the other but if you return in the same month, you need to wait.

At first I was thinking that was a bit of a hike but I think as long as I continue to shop on Amazon for the most part, it still pays off. Add the free book a month and the Amazon Prime Streaming, it's still a decent deal. Free 2-day shipping and the book makes this a much better deal than Netflix streaming if you think about it.

Gotcha!! Thank you both for the links and explanation!

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Living where I do, if I order early in the day that free two day shipping ends up being free overnight shipping somewhat regularly. :)

Yeah, I'm keeping it.

Same here. It's amazing. I usually always get my orders the next day. And I'm currently only paying $39 a year for a student membership. I only have one year left of that though :(

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
It is now a minimum of $35.

Was that a change along with the upping of Amazon Prime fees? Well that makes it (free shipping) more of a challenge. :)

Happened in late 2013. I know because my Prime ran out, but I needed to buy some Christmas stuff off Amazon. Saw the $35 min shipping fee. Realized that shipping for my order would've been 1/4 the student (back to school part time, totally using that student rate :p) Prime cost. Renewed student Prime in a heartbeat.

If the student rate stays at half ($49-50), that's probably still good enough for me. I don't order enough anymore to justify the full Prime price though at this time.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Agree^^^^

I shop extensively at Amazon, ordering a very large number of items each year. I've saved several multiples of the cost of Prime, even at $99 it is still very worthwhile for me.

I've always been very pleased in dealing with Amazon, and have found their customer service to be excellent. I'll be renewing my Prime membership at the new, higher price.

I'm curious. Without Amazon Prime, orders over $35 ship free using standard shipping. Do you need the Amazon Prime 2 day shipping or do you order many small orders ?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm curious. Without Amazon Prime, orders over $35 ship free using standard shipping. Do you need the Amazon Prime 2 day shipping or do you order many small orders ?

I let my Prime membership lapse as I found myself buying more stuff just because shipping was free. I order quite a bit from Amazon and it's rare that an order isn't at least $35. Most of my free shipping orders arrive within a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.