Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has "shelved" its plans to produce a larger-sized tablet, according to a report from Digitimes. Nicknamed the "iPad Pro", the 12.9-inch tablet was rumored to be under development with a launch date possible early next year.

Apple's alleged move comes as these larger tablets face hurdles because the form factors are not compatible with the existing ecosystems, forcing manufacturers to scale back on their plans, claims Digitimes.
However, most of the large-size tablet projects face difficulties because of lack of support from related platform developers and ecosystems. Apple has also been said to shelved its large-size tablet project.
12_9_ipad_macbook_air-800x450.jpg
Mockup of a 12.9-inch iPad next to a 13-inch MacBook Air
It is unclear whether Apple having "shelved" the iPad Pro is a permanent move or if the company is simply taking a wait-and-see attitude with the project for the time being.

Rumors of the iPad Pro first surfaced last May with a claimed early 2014 launch timeframe, but while a number of other sources have weighed in with their own claims about the device including word that production on the device's display had already begun, targets for the device's launch have slipped over time. Most recently, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has frequently offered accurate information on Apple's product plans, suggested last month that while the iPad Pro remained under development, its launch would likely not come this year.

As rumors of a larger iPad gained steam throughout the latter half of 2013, Samsung moved to introduce its own product with the launch of a 12.2-inch tablet early this year.

Digitimes has a mixed track record with its reporting, frequently obtaining accurate information from within Apple's supply chain, but on occasion seeming to misinterpret that information.

Article Link: Apple's 'iPad Pro' Plans Reportedly on Hold

JerryCards

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Richmond, VA
That "iPad Pro" is too large for me. In stead of large iPads, I will prefer a convertible MacBook Air, which can be used as a PC and a touch screen "Pad".

Last edited:

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Apple never said they were releasing one....and Apple never said they are holding off. Love these analysts!

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Translation from Digitimes: It is time to admit that the iPad Pro rumors were completely fabricated so we will say that Apple put them "on hold".

Apple never planned a 12-inch iPad with a resolution that differs from an even multiple of existing iPad.

Those larger cuts of the iPad display panel are for a Retina MacBook Air. Always have been.

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
I think iOS apps will eventually also support storyboards for a Mac-like interface on an iPad-like detachable "Pro" ... but it sounds like it isn't coming any time soon.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
No point in an iPad pro. If Apple was smart (and they are) they will not bring out an iPad pro....

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Apple's alleged move comes as these larger tablets face hurdles because the form factors are not compatible with the existing ecosystems, forcing manufacturers to scale back on their plans, claims Digitimes.

Bulls***.

Apple would have thought about a solution for apps before starting making plans with Chinese manufacturers.

This report is basically saying that Apple went "Oops, we forgot about that part.", and they're now considering the app compatibility situation for the first time? Give me a break.

RedGemini

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Altoona, PA
They really need to stop using that picture. How can a 12.9" "iPad Pro" be BIGGER than the screen of a 13" MacBook Air? Did anyone even remotely think that didn't look right?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
instead of ipad pro, apple must unified the macbook air into 1 size and that size should be 12.4" with a better display

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
“However, most of the large-size tablet projects face difficulties because of lack of support from related platform developers and ecosystems. Apple has also been said to shelved its large-size tablet project.”

Eh? Apple is the platform developer, and I assume by “ecosystems” they mean app developers, who a) obviously don't yet support something that hasn't been announced and b) most probably would update their apps to a larger iPad screen pretty quickly.

What a nonsense piece.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Bulls***.

Apple would have thought about a solution for apps before starting making plans with Chinese manufacturers.

This report is basically saying that Apple went "Oops, we forgot about that part.", and they're now considering app compatibility situation for the first time? Give me a break.

100% agree. You can't tell me that with all that brain power in Cupertino they can't figure out how to scale apps. As you said, BS. Plus it Digitimes.:eek:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
While I'd love to have a Windows or OSx tablet at 12.9" I think an iphone, err... I mean an ipad at 12.9" is just overkill.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Pre-warning: I am setting you up to reply with something that makes no sense.

Now with that out of the way. How is this even remotely close to being Samsung bait?;)

The idea is that Samsung will not just be copying Apple products, but also rumoured Apple products. Including rumoured Apple products that would fail if anyone, including Apple, would release them.

Like the Samsung Gear watch. Windows 8 is the same category; there were so many predictions that Apple would combine MacOS X and iOS (which in my opinion would be a disastrous mistake) that Microsoft started believing it and copied it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.