Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
That mock up picture is terrible!

Apple will not release a 12.9" iPad, it just does not make sense right now (if ever). The reason this rumor started was because of some analyst heard that Apple was possibly ordering displays in this size range. If they are, this will be for the MacBook Air redesign, not a giant iPad. The only reason I think there may be some truth to the iPad Pro is the fact that Apple called the flagship iPad "iPad Air" but how Apple decides to execute a Pro iPad remains to be seen but I doubt they will just slap a bigger screen and call it Pro; it may revolve around some pro-level ecosystem, apps etc.

Autrement

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Digitimes has a mixed track record with its reporting, frequently obtaining accurate information from within Apple's supply chain, but on occasion seeming to misinterpret that information.

I laughed out loud at this little bit of snark snuck in at the end there. Well played, MacRumors. Well played.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
“Apple is developing a car”

*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*

“Apple has put the car development on hold”

*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*click*

_profit_

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Pullin' the ol' switcheroo on Samsung.

Apple: We're thinking about a bigger tablet
Samsung: INTRODUCING THE 12.2 GALAXY TAB! FIRST!!! ZOMG!!!!111ONE
Apple: Yeaaaaah, jk.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
For all intent and purposes, all rumors that never see light of day can be considered 'reportedly on hold' :D

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
A larger display would be good if the weight stayed the same as the iPad Air. That might prove to be difficult right now.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Steve would never have allowed the iPad mini either

Love that the guy is somehow infallible.

I love my iPad mini. Wouldn't have it any other way. Now, if the mini didn't exist would I have an iPad Air or a Nexus 7 (or similar smaller Android tablet). I'd take the Air of course. But for me, the mini is the best of both.

Looking forward to my next mini with TouchID and 128 GB SSD.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Real shame since I am reading this on my Retina Mini.

And I am sure a Apple tests and prototypes dozens a products a year that go nowhere for whatever reason. This could be one of them.

micropig

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
They really need to stop using that picture. How can a 12.9" "iPad Pro" be BIGGER than the screen of a 13" MacBook Air? Did anyone even remotely think that didn't look right?

The 13" air is ~9" tall, and a 4:3 12.9"-diagonal screen should make the iPad ~8" wide, so something's weird. Maybe the caption is wrong, and it's an 11" air, or a larger iPad? Either way, this mockup makes it look like a small boogie board, when it would actually be about the size of a sheet of paper.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Can't wait to browse like this.

If that was a table top similar to the original Surface now Pixel Sense then for businesses it might be useful. Especially if it was a piece that could go table or wall and could airdrop to hand helds etc.

But for general peeps yeah it's rather a joke

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
I guess i would have to put my "ipad-Pro" workstation plans on hold...Bummer!

890508775_1385256906.jpg

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Pre-warning: I am setting you up to reply with something that makes no sense.

Now with that out of the way. How is this even remotely close to being Samsung bait?;)

I believe the comment is meant to say that someone started the rumor as much to get the other companies to do it 'first' either to show how dumb it is or to do a piss poor job so everyone will think Apple's is even better. Which is, some think, what happened with the watch, and the iPad.

There are even rumors that some folks don't really care about Apple but they know the companies do so in order to get an Android or Windows whatever they start rumors Apple is doing it so the companies will feel the need to keep up (and hopefully do a good job)

I call bunk on both notions, especially the folks that say the former is Apple doing the leaks. I think the key reason behind these rumors is page hits. Cause hits make money.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
I never got this 12.9 iPad rumor.

Certainly, a few people might use such a big iPad (showrooms, museums...) but I don't see many use cases that would make this product sell in big numbers.

Apple is not about filling every niche, otherwise they wouldn't have retired the XServe or the 17'' laptops. They retired all these products and usually keep a tight focus on hardware lineups.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

He's not running the company anymore. He is dead and by several accounts took Tim to not try to run the company Steve's way

So what Steve would or would not do, which frankly maybe he could have been convinced about this in the end, is totally moot. To the point that folks really need to stop using that line of argument.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
He's not running the company anymore. He is dead and by several accounts took Tim to not try to run the company Steve's way

So what Steve would or would not do, which frankly maybe he could have been convinced about this in the end, is totally moot. To the point that folks really need to stop using that line of argument.

I know this that's why this larger iPad pro could of happened

So don't say it was never happening!

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
In theory, a larger iPad sounds like a good idea. I've thought about it myself, but in practice, I'm guessing it wouldn't be the panacea some people think it would be. For the average person, holding anything much bigger than the current iPad, while still being able to use your hands in a touch interface, is nearly impossible.

You end up needing to rest it against something - which ultimately is what a keyboard does for you on a laptop. And then you're not typing or swiping on-screen, which for larger screen just seems ridiculous. I can't stand fingerprints on my 13" MBAir or my 21" iMac. It's different with the iPad, as you can really easily wipe the screen clean.

Regarding this "news", I'm sure Apple has looked and made countless numbers of prototype iPads in almost every conceivable size, but that doesn't mean they're going to make them.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
if you working off an ipad you not a pro at anything - well, maybe at wasting time :rolleyes:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The idea is that Samsung will not just be copying Apple products, but also rumoured Apple products. Including rumoured Apple products that would fail if anyone, including Apple, would release them.

Like the Samsung Gear watch. Windows 8 is the same category; there were so many predictions that Apple would combine MacOS X and iOS (which in my opinion would be a disastrous mistake) that Microsoft started believing it and copied it.

I don't think that's right. I think it was more: Microsoft wanted to make Windows relevant in a tablet-filled world and failed miserably.

Windows 8 isn't a continuous OS that works on all devices, it's more like two OSes shipped together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.