Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Looks great in terms of functionality. UI looks a bit of a hodge-podge in my opinion, though. Again, all I want from Pages is the ability to re-order pages from the page thumbnail window and it'll be everything I need from a word processor.
It's extremely powerful. The UI shouldn't put you off to it. I couldn't live without it when needing crazy organization dealing with massive amounts of text. But yes... I agree about page reordering in Pages. It's not like it's some huge feature. Didn't the last version have this feature?

Think it's more that they always felt consumers would look at MS Office as a key differentiator and buy MS tablets. Whereas it seems he truth is that when people aren't locked into the "MS standard" they would rather choose products that are better suited to their needs.
And pride ... and arrogance.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I realise I speak for myself, but I've also found Office on Mac to be ugly and slow, in stark contrast to the Windows version. I'm curious to see it realised on the iPad, but it'd have to be incredible to get me to switch.

This is my concern as well. I have zero faith in Microsoft dropping their pride and producing Office on iOS 100% equal to or as good as the Surface 2 version. This company is hilarious. Office was on Mac before it was on Windows and when Bill Gates decided to put forth efforts on Windows development he purposely trashed Mac Office and made the Windows version look perfect.
The latest version of Office for Mac is "decent" and still not on par with the Windows version and is still missing features. I expect them to do the same on iOS.
Microsoft finally realized a missed opportunity because the Surface just isn't selling like they hoped but they are also smart, they know Apple customers will jump through hoops and say "OMG OMG OMG, Office is on iOS" and just buy it without thinking that it might be gimped or stripped of features that are on the Surface 2 version.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Quip ain't cheap for a business at $12 per month per user.

That's more than you'd pay for Office365 isn't it?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I realise I speak for myself, but I've also found Office on Mac to be ugly and slow, in stark contrast to the Windows version. I'm curious to see it realised on the iPad, but it'd have to be incredible to get me to switch.
Office is ugly on both platforms. :)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What is Microsoft ?

A company that makes billions and is still doing well financially.

Of course you can just believe what you read on the internet

We're talking consumer products here. Microsoft's consumer division isn't doing well financially. Windows Phone, Surface, Bing, OneDrive, Xbox, Outlook.com, Nokia, Skype and such are causing losses, and Windows sales are slowing down as well.

If Microsoft was an almost 100% consumer-oriented company like Apple, they'd be in big trouble right now. They're not because entreprises are their main source of profits and they're doing increasingly well with enterprises.

Doesn't change the fact that Microsoft is getting increasingly irrelevant to consumers. I don't think it'll happen in the near future, but it's not unreasonable to draw a parallel with IBM. For instance, if Stephen Elop had been chosen as CEO instead of Satya Nadella, he'd have killed/sold the Xbox and Bing divisions.

Last edited:

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Ship's Sailed

Office? No thanks. I don't have it on my Mac and I sure as h*** don't need it on my iPad. Pages is decent. WriteRoom is good, I'm going to try Quip next. Not even going to try Office.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
"There are no more Microsoft Word documents being circulated. If someone emails me a Word document, I'll tell them to put it in Quip," said Artivest Chief Investment Officer David Levine.
Really? Bitch please.

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Hmmm.. I've been fine without Office on my iPad so why the hell would i make a switch now. Too many other competitors with great word processors available. I've even stopped using MS office at work on my mac. iWork has been fine for me. A few quirks here and there but overall it gets the job done. I don't know what they mean by "Real Work"

Hey Microsoft.. Focus on making better products instead of bashing competition that is far ahead of anything you're doing in mobile hardware and software.

Crispinhodges

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Turnaround on 360?

In the early days I would have gone for this but I've found substitutes and I'm sure they will require a 365 subscription and I don't want another place for all my files and print very little these days.
Dropbox or Copy integration is a big thing for me. I bet that won't be an option.

Last edited:

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
We're talking consumer products here. Microsoft's consumer division isn't doing well financially. Windows Phone, Surface, Bing, OneDrive, Xbox and such are all causing losses, and Windows sales are slowing down as well.

If Microsoft was an almost 100% consumer-oriented company like Apple, they'd be in big trouble right now. They're not because entreprises are their main source of profits. Doesn't change the fact that Microsoft is getting increasingly irrelevant to consumers. I don't think it'll happen in the near future, but it's not unreasonable to draw a parallel with IBM.

Please don't be a hater

Ms saved apple

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
This falls on Ballmer and his idiocy.

Instead of remembering they are a SOFTWARE company, they instead ignored the next generation of devices.

They could have made hundreds of millions by having Office on iOS as separate apps but it's almost too little too late now.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Our company has switched completely over to the new iWork. The learning curve was short and easy and productivity is up significantly. Pages and Keynote are more efficient to use than Word and Powerpoint and unlike office, they are completely compatible across desktop, mobile, and web. What we used to use Excel for in advanced ways is now handled by web based databases.

Internal collaboration is really good in the new iWork versions across Mac, Windows, and mobile devices and when communicating with clients, we send over PDFs instead of raw files and this insures no matter what software they have it will always look exactly as we designed the document.

All in all it feels really good to be free of the bloated Office, never ending security updates, and formatting and compatibility issues finally.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
"There are no more Microsoft Word documents being circulated. If someone emails me a Word document, I'll tell them to put it in Quip," said Artivest Chief Investment Officer David Levine.

Nope.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Office is doomed. It's a suite of very simple apps made overly complex, bloated, and resource hungry. There's virtually nothing revolutionary about these apps any longer.

And then there's the subscription model for Office. Office is the Titanic of app suites.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I agree about page reordering in Pages. It's not like it's some huge feature. Didn't the last version have this feature?

Certainly did, but it got lost in the massive re-write that happened for v5 of the app. It seems a trivial thing to add back in, too!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Please don't be a hater

Ms saved apple

The fact most of their consumer divisions are reporting losses quarter after quarter is a fact, not a opinion.

If by "saved" you're referring to their supposed $150M investment in Apple stocks in 1997, that's a myth.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/stop-the-lies-the-day-that-microsoft-saved-apple/7036

The $150M was actually the result of a legal settlement, which also involved cross-licensing patents and Apple having to put IE as the default browser for Macs.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Please don't be a hater

Ms saved apple

:) I don't really consider promising to keep developing extremely profitable software, settling an antitrust lawsuit with the DOJ, and settling a lawsuit with Apple to be "saving".

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
I couldn't even imagine trying to type a document up on my iPad. Not losing me. Documents are typed on my Macbook/pc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.