Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with a report from last week, Microsoft today launched OneNote for the Mac, making several significant changes to the service for both mobile and desktop users. The biggest change is in pricing with OneNote now free across all supported platforms for personal use. The free Mac app also includes 7GB of free OneDrive storage space, which can be expanded by subscribing to Office 365.

The Mac version is very similar to the Windows version with only a few subtle visual differences. Both versions share the same notebook metaphor, ribbon interface and freeform note-taking features.

onenote-mac-main.jpg
Along with a Mac version, Microsoft also is releasing a OneNote clipper browser plug-in for Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Mac Safari that allows users to save clippings from webpages. This feature is being extended to third-party apps via a new cloud API that provides developers with the ability to integrate OneNote clipping into their apps.

Other new tools in OneNote include Office Lens, which allows users to take a picture of a document and immediately import it into their OneNote QuickNotes with text recognition. Microsoft also enabled a OneNote email service that provides users with the ability to create new QuickNotes using a unique onenote.com email account.

Microsoft OneNote for the Mac [Direct Link] is available for free from the Mac App Store. While the consumer version is free, Microsoft is still offering a paid business version with premium features like Outlook integration and SharePoint support. New partner apps with support for OneNote include Feedly, IFTTT, News360 and Weave.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases OneNote as a Free Mac App Store Download

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Never used OneNote, but if they can make it look similar to the windows counterpart, they can make office 2014 for mac look the same way.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Running it on OS X now, and it's a very nice App. Hopefully this is the route that Microsoft will go down with the next Office for Mac, it's a very nice look and feel. Runs very smoothly too, miles better than the 2011 suite!

----------

Description says "Now available for free for a limited time".
Where? Not anywhere I can see...?

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
That light UI it's using looks good. OS X style but without the silvery texture. Much like some OS X 10.10 mock-ups that are around.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Gonna download it just incase Microsoft change their mind, and made it paid app :D

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Hmmm, I might be able to replace Evernote at last. I'll have to see how this performs in compasion to the PC version.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Doesn't look like they did much of anything to make the app Mac-like. Can't stand the ribbon.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Running it on OS X now, and it's a very nice App. Hopefully this is the route that Microsoft will go down with the next Office for Mac, it's a very nice look and feel. Runs very smoothly too, miles better than the 2011 suite!

----------

In the description...

Edit:pipped to the post by Roessnakhan. *Tips Cap*

Attachments

• microsoft_one_note.jpg
    microsoft_one_note.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 384

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess

----------

This is the UK Store description.

imajez

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2014
How is this better than Evernote? Honest question. What advantages does it offer?
Hopefully the interface won't have a completely different look and feel depending on what device you are using or what day of the week it is.
I wouldn't mind if they were making Evernote easier and not harder to use with the constant re-iterating of UI.

----------

Doesn't look like they did much of anything to make the app Mac-like. Can't stand the ribbon.
So what do you prefer then, digging into menus or a whole host of toolbars that add clutter? :p
Context sensitive toolbars are a good use of desktop space.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That light UI it's using looks good. OS X style but without the silvery texture.

I agree, it looks surprisingly good for a Microsoft app, compared with the hideousness and impracticality that is Office for Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.