Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Atlantic Coast Conference and college sports site Campus Insiders have teamed up to launch a new "ACC Sports" channel for the Apple TV today, offering video highlights, features, and other clips related to the conference's 15 member schools. A separate Campus Insiders tab within the app includes a smaller amount of content from other college athletic conferences around the country.

acc_sports_apple_tv_icon.jpg
The channel does not currently offer any live video content, although it is certainly possible such offerings could be added in the future.

acc_sports_apple_tv.jpg
Campus Insiders has agreements with a number of college conferences to offer live video streaming of certain competitions in a variety of sports through the firm's website, and the launch of an ACC Sports channel for Apple TV could be a prelude to a broader effort by Campus Insiders that would be able to bring streaming of these events directly to Apple's set-top box.

Today's launch is the latest in a long line of new Apple TV channels introduced over the last months as Apple has worked to rapidly expand content available on the set-top box. New Apple TV 6.1 software released last week makes it easier for users to hide unwanted channels from the main Apple TV screen, helping them manage the growing number of available channels. Apple has also been rumored to be on the verge of introducing a revamped version of the Apple TV, perhaps opening it up to third-party developers to support games and other apps.

Article Link: ACC and Campus Insiders Launch New College Sports Apple TV Channel

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Yet again Apple, let US DECIDE by having a channel/app store. This isn't rocket science.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Yet again Apple, let US DECIDE by having a channel/app store. This isn't rocket science.

It's just a matter of time, dude. And at least it's easy to hide stuff now. :D

----------

Apple, just make the SDK available to all developers already, please.

I'm really looking forward to this, but I bet they won't do it until the platform reaches a proper tipping point.

aparch

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
ACC live broadcasts are available via Watch ESPN with the addition of the 15 college conference channels within the app.

This just seems to compliment WatchESPN, unless they're going to migrate away from ESPN (which would be great for cord cutters). Hopefully live video is added to the app.

Who cares about "yet another stupid icon to hide," there should be more discussion on the addition of sports that could make it easier for "cord cutters" to watch sports.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
ENOUGH with the worthless ICONS. There needs to be one central place to register these channels with our cable provider too....

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
ACC live broadcasts are available via Watch ESPN with the addition of the 15 college conference channels within the app.

This just seems to compliment WatchESPN, unless they're going to migrate away from ESPN (which would be great for cord cutters). Hopefully live video is added to the app.

Who cares about "yet another stupid icon to hide," there should be more discussion on the addition of sports that could make it easier for "cord cutters" to watch sports.

cold day in hell before they migrate from ESPN

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
obviously a new UI/UX is in order. and perhaps the age-old request to have an App Store.

I'd like to see a Sports section with this, ESPN, and maybe RedBull and WWE as app/channels inside.

Maybe a Science and Educational Section...
Youth Section...
News?
Streaming (yeah, I know all of it is streaming)

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Great to see more content being offered for the Apple TV after years of "hobby" status.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Yet another channel to block, Apple how about fixing the issue with HBO Go for Charter Communications customers or adding more movie channels like Epix, Amazon Prime (something that everyone wants to be added), Cinemax Go and Showtime Anytime. Seriously, this is like my Sony Blu Ray player from 4 years ago so much streaming video junk but only thing good about Apple TV is they keep the streaming apps to date.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
If this was for a conference I liked, I'd be excited. But it's the ACC...

srmoll

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
There is a world outside of the USA Apple! How about getting some apps in there from other countries:

Being from the UK I would particularly like to see:
BBC iPlayer
ITV Player
4OD
Demand 5
TVCatchup
Amazon Instant Video

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I've been using the Apple TV for two years now. Some things:

1) My music library is large when home sharing. Scrolling through music is tedious. They should have a jump to letter option instead of having to scroll through thousands of songs, artists, etc.

2) The UI needs to be updated. Along those lines, the addition of all these icons makes it worse. Why not have the Apple TV somewhat mirror iOS devices. Unite under a singular umbrella.

3) Ability to control the Apple TV from my phone or iPad in the sense of mirror what is on the apple tv to the tablet. That way I could type or move around icons. If not, then improve the remote. It is too simplified.

4) Open up the Apple TV to applications I already use on my iOS devices by adding an app store.

There are a few other things but they encompass everything as a whole.

1) Ability to create my own categories or folders when adding movies to iTunes. I do not want all my own personal movies lumped into "Home Videos."

2) Home sharing on an iOS device doesn't work if you have a large music library yet the remote app sees everything just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.