Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 is widely rumored to include a larger display, which could encourage a significant number of users to upgrade in 2014, according to analyst Brian Marshall of ISI Group, who released a note to investors today.

Echoing past iPhone 6 rumors, Marshall suggests Apple will release two versions of the phone, one with a 4.7-inch screen and one with a 5.5-inch screen. The launch of two phones, both of which offer a total redesign of the existing 4-inch iPhone 5s, could spark a massive upgrade cycle.

iphone6-sizes-800x636.jpg
Apple's current installed base is estimated to be at 260 million users, and ISI Group calculates that half of today's iPhone purchases are made by upgraders, users who are upgrading their iPhones from an existing iPhone to a new version of the product.

ISI indicates that while the upgrade rate (percentage of installed base upgrading devices in a given quarter) was at 10 to 11 percent in 2011-2012, it has now dropped to approximately 9 percent because users have fewer reasons to upgrade with the iPhone 5c and 5s not introducing any significant design changes.

iphone6upgrades.jpg
Peak quarters have seen upgrade rates of 12 to 14 percent, and ISI expects a similar upgrade rate during the second half of 2014 when the iPhone 6 is launched, resulting in a higher number of sales. An iPhone 6 with an increased screen size may also lure customers who have switched to Android from the iPhone because of the latter's lack of a large display.
"Large-screen envy" is prevalent among the iPhone installed base and we believe a ~5" form-factor iPhone would spark a massive upgrade cycle as well as many "Android switchers" returning back to the iPhone (we refer to this as the "mother lode" of all Apple upgrade cycles).
Citing both "large-screen envy" and "pent-up demand" ISI Group suggests the new iPhone 6 models could result in an extra $3.00 earnings per share following release in the second half of 2014.

Higher demand for an iPhone during a redesign year is not unreasonable, as it has now been two years since the 2012 introduction of the iPhone 5. While the iPhone 5s included multiple internal improvements and the Touch ID fingerprint sensor, it retained the same 4-inch display and design of the iPhone 5, as did the iPhone 5c, which was just a repackaging of the existing model.

Article Link: Larger iPhone 6 May Cause Massive Spike in Upgrades, Lure Android Users

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if the battery life is still crap i'm going to the dark side. Sorry apple, love your stuff but I don't want to be tied to an outlet or have a huge battery case..

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
A [significantly] larger screen is the only Android feature that I would like to see on the iPhone.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I still think 4.7 inch is the best size. Don't think 5 inch+ will happen... too big for 1 hand use.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
An iPhone 6 with an increased screen size may also lure customers who have switched to Android from the iPhone because of the latter's lack of a large display.

In the meantime, Apple just gives up on its existing users who actually appreciate the iPhone's smaller size?

Are there no rumors to indicate that Apple will keep a model with the existing 4" screen?

nyil

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
This is an interesting move from Apple. I personally don't like phone screens bigger than 5" but this might bring in some more users.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Well duh.

Many idiot apple users will comment you don't need a larger screen but that's just a knee jerk reaction.

Apple sell two sizes of everything but iPhones, it's not a matter of if they will it's just when. I suspect it'll come finally this year.

It will cause huge android fans to default. for sure but also not.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I really don't believe these rumors. They happen year after year. I do believe the iPhone 6 will have a bigger screen, but nothing this big. And I certainly hope not.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
4.7 Would be Perfect , I made the switch from iPhone 5 to Nexus yes few compromises ( nothing I can't live without), decided to give 5S a shot yes I missed the build quality and the sharp apps/camera, but at the end of the day the screen felt too small and Retina is not a strong selling point to me anymore so the 5S went on Sale on macrumors marketplace, 4.7 and I won't hesitate to switch back :D

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I prefer the size of the 4 and 4s. Slim, small, I don't even realize its in my pocket. Thats the perfect phone for me.

I don't want to carry around a wide screen TV in my pants all day.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
"For the first time ever we've increased the size of the display. By making the screen taller, but NOT WIDER, you can still comfortably use it with one hand." - Jony Ive

"It is really easy to make a new product that is bigger, everyone does that, that's not the challenge, the challenge is to make it better, AND SMALLER". - Phil Schiller

in a year or two those quotes probably meant something completely different as every old steve jobs quote that was either a misdirection or he changed his mind on.

as mentioned above would apple support 2-3 different sizes fully or would the others be the products of yesteryear in new costumes

but i love how these analysts think there is an endless amount of money in consumers pockets to constantly update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.