Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
In the meantime, Apple just gives up on its existing users who actually appreciate the iPhone's smaller size?

Are there no rumors to indicate that Apple will keep a model with the existing 4" screen?

None that I have read. I very much doubt that the 4" will continue to be used except in the lowest cost iPhones.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
I hope these people realize that they may gain some - and lose some. If they increase the size of the iPhone (i.e. making it even BIGGER than it already is!) I will move some place else.

And given that iCloud email doesn't work for me anyway and I was forced to set up an Exchange server to gain reliability I am totally flexible now.

Not that Android/Google sounds appealing but there must be some device that works and isn't the size of a slice of pizza. Or I may have to go and put away one or two iPhone 5. Gee, how I still miss my Blackberry.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I agree....Apple, I hate to tell you this, but if the next iPhone is that big?

I'm out.

Bye! In any case, I think it's safe to say that the bigger sizes will have smaller bezels than all the same old dopey renderings do.

Cole Carrera

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Are we chasing marketshare?

I thought 4" was the perfect size.

(I thought 3.5" was the perfect size)

I suspect the 4" will be kept, and not just in the old one.

I doubt there will be two new big versions. That sounds to me too complicated.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Sure will.

Also will grab the 'I need a bigger screen' crowd from android/Samsung users.

I for one am looking forward to having the different size as an option, but still will wait to see the new bigger iPhone.

junkster

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
Do not want. I can operate the 5s comfortably with one hand. I can fit it in my pocket. It's pleasant to hold when making calls. Size is not any kind of issue for me.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I'm still on an iPhone 4, so I'd want to see which size I like better. This year is my upgrade year regardless.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
if the battery life is still crap i'm going to the dark side. Sorry apple, love your stuff but I don't want to be tied to an outlet or have a huge battery case..

You won't have any better luck with Android devices.....

Unless you pick up a Note 3, the battery life is pretty much on par or worse than the iPhone's.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
but apple is very much a one solution fits all so while i also hope they wouldnt kill off i for one wouldnt be surprised

If that were true then there would be only one size of the MBA, MBP, iMac, and iPad and iPod.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Why does it need to be any bigger? What is the point of the iPad? iPhone is a smaller screen to fit in your pocket, iPad is bigger for different things. Why do I want something in the middle?

5" and under isn't anywhere close to the 7" tablet market. Put them side by side and there is a marked difference in size. 5" is still fully pocketable. The overall dimensions between 4 and 5" when done with minimal bordering and bezels is really not noticeable

case in point: I have a 5" Nexus5 and my boss and I often like to play "compare the phones" to his iPhone. the overall dimensions don't suddenly make the phone some giant monstrosity. A lot of this comes from more efficient use of space. By today's standards, it is something that the iPhone is behind on.

5" devices are as pocket-able as 4". UNless you're someone who is constantly wearing skinny jeans... even a 5'5" phablet is pocket-able. Though, if you start getting into the 5'5" and bigger market, I do agree that you start to get into a hybrid region. When I carried a NoteII around, I got rid of my 7" tablet because it was redundant. at 5" that isn't such the case.

but, you might not want that extra 1" of available screen real estate. Thats fine. And I hope, Really hope that Apple does not kill their 4" line. it is a very suitable line for people who do not want or need that space and is a very good product, but it is painfully apparent to the rest of the world that larger phone devices are extremely popular and demanded. Apple is doing themselves a disservice at ignoring an entire market segment out of some pride.

but apple is very much a one solution fits all so while i also hope they wouldnt kill off i for one wouldnt be surprised

this was def. the case under Jobs... but the newer Apple seems to be a little 'softer' in regards to market demands. This is a good thing IMHO. I hope apple does not kill the 4" phone. I dont want one, but its apparent that it is an extremely popular form factor.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I believe the display area may be 4.7 inches, but the actual dimensions of the device will be quite similar to the 5S. This will please those who like the current physical size and those wanting a larger display. I still think the larger model, if there is one, may not be called an iPhone, but an iPad nano with "full" cellular. The nano will have the aspect ratio of an iPad not the iPhone.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
People who are crying about this before the device is even announced should just chill.....

They can get a bigger screen in the current form factor. The odds are, the overall size of the device likely won't change dramatically for the 4.7" version (if that turns out to be true).

Rumors are exactly that....take them with a grain of salt.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Personally doubt there will be an impressively larger proportion of upgraders than any model before based on screen size alone. I've held the 5" Galaxy S4 in my hand and it simply is not comfortable. Maybe a 4.7" screen will still be (that fraction of an inch can make a difference).

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I won't lie. I am going to get the next iPhone regardless of what its features are. I have way too much invested in the iOS ecosystem.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
There are so many people in here saying that they won't upgrade if the screen gets bigger, and it makes me so angry; because these are all the people who have never used any phone other than an iPhone 4 and have no credibility in their opinions that a 5" screen is excessive.

People, GET OVER IT! The next iPhone is going to have a bigger screen; and if you don't like it, keep using your iPhone 4 for the next 15 years and leave the rest of us alone.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
As a long time iPhone user I certainly don't have "big screen envy".

I admit to having some, but only some. I love my iPhone 5S :D. I suspect that we'd all love a bigger screen, but no one has figured out how to give us that without making the phone uncomfortable to hold in one hand. Maybe the battery life will be longer in a larger model, at least.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
The bigger the better. I said exactly thus a year ago when Apple made the mistake of releasing the interim 5C and 5S. This is what the people want. Not the atypical lot on here.

The market share will rise massively. And as stated, once the Android and Windows lot clock the iPhone 6 ... What Apple should've released last time round ..then expect full market domination.

And then listen to the naysayers on here now sprouting what a cracking idea Apple had when they made the screen bigger on the 6.

Don't whinge. Rejoice. This is possibly the beginning of the post Jobs renaissance. Years of laurel resting on past successes and obsessional iPad and IOS fiddling stops here

2014 has to be the year Apple woke up and gave their customers what they want and not what they thought they didn't quite want yet (piddly wee screens)

Hurrah for Tim. No more design Cook-ups. This is where success story continues!

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Bigger is bulkier!

I think I'd love the 6" iPhone in the winter and in the fall. When I have jacket pockets to put it in...

I think I'd absolutely hate it in the spring/summer when I've got shorts or even jeans, trying to fit this in my pockets. Even the times that it fits, I think it'll be an issue if doing activities.

I've noticed the differences in different pockets going from the 4s to the 5s.

Of course it will make some converts to people who complain they can't get the bigger screen with Apple. Don't need an article to explain that to me ;)

Gary

StrongArmmed

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Miami, FL
The 4.7" iPhone will find such a quick home in my hands...

Not gonna lie: I'll stand in line to be one of the first with a 4.7" 64GB iPhone.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Bigger screen devices is the only thing Android has going for it. If Apple does launch a larger screen for those consumers who want it, well, I think it spells the end for Android as a serious contender in the mobile space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.