Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Well, the Windows 8 drives should still work, at least mostly, right? Just in the same way my current Mac only supports 7 but I've installed 8 just fine.

And then promptly went back to 7 when I realized how poorly 8 initially was. I have t tried 8.1 yet, I may give it a chance sometime.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Windows 7 can still be used in a VMWare or Parallels VM, so it should not be so terrible. It is nice to have the native Bootcamp performance, but VMs have gotten a lot better recently.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Funny to see this headline when I am about to install Win 7 on my Macbook Pro Retina this week. At least it doesn't affect most of us yet. Only those rich folks and high end professionals who can actually afford a Mac Pro. :D

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Could MS have had a part to play in this? Telling Apple to drop W7 support? Or is this solely of Apple decision to do this?

Glacial Truffle

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013
My guess is that this has something to do with Windows 8's EFI support so Apple could drop the Legacy BIOS mode.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
The ONE good reason I was going to buy a nMP is now gone. Guess I can thank Apple for saving me $3000+.

The one good reason that you were going to buy a $3,000+ Macintosh computer was so that you could run a version of Windows that is going on five years and two generations old?

Fox Fisher

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2013
Nooooooo!

I was planning to hold on to Win7 forever... This is bad news, Win 8 indeed sucks. It's better with 8.1 but still sucks...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Thats a bad move.

Corporate world is not moving to 8 yet.

this is going to put the new Mac Pro out of contention for purchase for anyone looking for Windows7. (Seriously, its almost like Apple wants the Mac Pro line to fail)

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I don't get the Windows 8 hate. It's just Windows 7 with a Metro UI covering the desktop... which can easily be bypassed with a free utility: http://www.classicshell.net

After installing that ... I don't really notice much of a difference between 7 and 8... except maybe settings locations. The functionality itself is nearly the same.

Windows 8, by default, does suck though.

Having said all that ... removing Windows 7 support is beyond idiotic and makes zero sense, imo. One of the selling points is being able to dual boot OS's. Being confined to just one is ridiculous. There are third-party utilities available to allow you to boot more OS's though.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Someone please explain to me why the hate for Windows 8 / 8.1?

Missing the Start menu? Install a 3rd-party one. Done. StartIsBack, Start8, Classic Shell, etc.

Other than that, the big difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 are the rounded windows of 7 vs squared windows of 8/8.1.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I hope Apple doesn't do the same thing for the next iMac models, as Windows 8 has serious compatibility issues with certain games. I actually had to go back from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7 again, because of the compatibility issues.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Well, the Windows 8 drives should still work, at least mostly, right? Just in the same way my current Mac only supports 7 but I've installed 8 just fine.

And then promptly went back to 7 when I realized how poorly 8 initially was. I have t tried 8.1 yet, I may give it a chance sometime.

yea i was thinking the same...just because bootcamp drivers aren't going support windows 7 doesn't mean that u can't have a fully functional version of windows 7 installed...but things always work smoother when all the proper drivers are installed.

it's whatever though. The hardware in the Mac Pro is so daggone future proof that my 2008 Mac Pro should last me until Windows 7 really is obsolete.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Do that many people really use Boot Camp as opposed to virtualization? I use VirtualBox which works great and is free. I'm not a Windows power user on my Mac so maybe there's some performance difference I'm not aware of.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Little Side note, I had the choice between Windows 7 or 8 for my Mac over the summer. I chose 7.

Good choice. Windows 8 is basically Vista part 2 minus the driver and OS stability fiasco. Windows 8 is a stable OS; but it's way too "jarring". There's too much switching back and forth between the desktop UI and the "Metro" UI.

I love hearing sales people trying to sell the average Joe on Windows 8. Inevitably, they say things like, "You can choose between a tablet-like interface or the desktop interface you've always been used to." Oh, really? Try launching an app you downloaded from the Windows Store from the Desktop. It can be done; but not without jumping through several hoops. The user doesn't have a "choice" about the UI they want to use. The user is forced by the OS to constantly jump back and forth between Desktop and Metro UIs.

Windows 7 is the new Windows XP in terms of how it's perceived by businesses and consumers alike (it's "safe" because it's predictable and familiar). Windows 8 is anything but predictable and familiar. I'm really surprised Apple made this decision; but I bet they'll backtrack before the end of the year.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Good choice. Windows 8 is basically Vista part 2 minus the driver and OS stability fiasco. Windows 8 is a stable OS; but it's way too "jarring". There's too much switching back and forth between the desktop UI and the "Metro" UI.
http://www.classicshell.net

Do that many people really use Boot Camp as opposed to virtualization? I use VirtualBox which works great and is free. I'm not a Windows power user on my Mac so maybe there's some performance difference I'm not aware of.
The performance difference is quite significant, depending on the program you're running... and it's night and day if you are playing a game.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Someone please explain to me why the hate for Windows 8 / 8.1?

Missing the Start menu? Install a 3rd-party one. Done. StartIsBack, Start8, Classic Shell, etc.

Other than that, the big difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 are the rounded windows of 7 vs squared windows of 8/8.1.

I think the issue is that windows 8 adds basically zero redeeming features while being buggier and more of a resource hog than windows 7.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Advanced age?

Don't really care, because I only boot Windows when absolutely necessary. It's a terrible experience wether it's 8 or 7, and it's just a distraction to get to a particular piece of software that I have to use natively.

Most of the time, virtualization is the answer anyway. You can boot Windows 7, XP, or a poached egg if you feel like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.