Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pegatron-office-250x148.jpg
Apple supplier Pegatron is expected to start production on the iPhone 6 in the second quarter of this year at its new Kunshan, China plant, reports the Commercial Times [Google Translate].

Pegatron is already opening up a new factory space and recruiting workers in China in an effort to meet orders to manufacture the new phone, says Reuters. In early January, it was reported that Pegatron was expected to win a new contract to manufacture half of the iPhone 6's supplies. Previously, Pegatron was responsible for assembling the iPad mini and iPhone 5c, while Apple's main supplier, Foxconn, assembled many of the iPhone 5s units.

While the newspaper reported production would start ramping up in the second quarter, it did not report when the phone could come out, how many units Pegatron would manufacture, or how many workers the company was hiring. However, they do note that fellow Apple supplier Hon Hai would be the other primary manufacturer of the phone.

In 2013 Apple shifted iPhone 5c production to Pegatron in order to improve supply chain risk management, allowing Apple to expand its supply lines and minimize risk of potential supply chain disasters.

The iPhone 6 has been rumored to launch with two different versions of the phone, one with a 4.7-inch display and one with a 5.7-inch display. While there is no rumored release timeframe for the device, Apple typically releases its new iPhone models in the fall.

Article Link: Apple's Manufacturing Partner Starts Preparing for iPhone 6 Production

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I hope this means that the release will be in June. I won't be getting a new phone until December timeframe but I still like seeing all the new tech.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
The sooner the better! Now that iOS 7 has finally brought the polish of iOS back to Apple levels, I'm hoping they can just really build on that with another layer of polish on iOS 8. Couple that with a larger screen, and I'm onboard.

Oh... and Apple... Can you PLEASE give us the option of getting 128GB iPhones this time around???

2005CTS

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
WWDC in June - Apple unveils the new iPhone6

iPhone6 goes on sale in July.

This allows Apple to have inventory levels stable going into the crucial holiday season beginning in November - after all the early adopters get their phones in the summer.

Please let this happen!!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

This allows Apple to have inventory levels stable going into the crucial holiday season beginning in November - after all the early adopters get their phones in the summer.

Please let this happen!!

From what I recall the iPhone launch was supposedly moved to september to capitalize back-to-school season spending.

Personally I hate Apple cramming EVERYTHING into Q3 and Q4 and would prefer they return to iPad spring, iPhone fall, and OSX/Mac summer.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Oh... and Apple... Can you PLEASE give us the option of getting 128GB iPhones this time around???

My sentiments exactly! It's time for a 128GB iPhone! I'm so on board with 5.5 or 5.7 inch iPhone 6 with 128GB. Seriously, my credit card is vibrating in my pants. :D

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
The sooner the better! Now that iOS 7 has finally brought the polish of iOS back to Apple levels, I'm hoping they can just really build on that with another layer of polish on iOS 8. Couple that with a larger screen, and I'm onboard.

and drop the 16GB option while you're at it?:)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I hope this means that the release will be in June. I won't be getting a new phone until December timeframe but I still like seeing all the new tech.

I hope it's in September because that's when my contract is up, and the wait after the reveal will drive me nuts.

Gone are the good old days when Cingular moved up everyone's contract...

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
iOS announcement in Summer > iPhones in Fall

Isn't the second quarter of every year (or the last 3+ years) when new iPhones begin manufacturing?

From 2013 MacRumors.com story,
"Apple Inc. plans to begin production of a new iPhone similar in size and shape to its current one in the second quarter of the year, according to people familiar with the device's production, teeing up a possible summer launch for the next version of its flagship device."

Link: Apple to Begin Production of Next iPhone This Quarter, Summer Launch Possible

iOS announcement in Summer > iPhones in Fall.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
PLEASE give us the option of getting 128GB iPhones this time around???

As an avid tech user with a large amount of data, I still have to ask-- why is there a necessity for this amount of space in a phone or tablet?? If people would take advantage of iTunes Match, iTunes in the Cloud (for renting and viewing purchased video) and Photo Stream, I would guess that ~80 - 90% of of them wouldn't get past 32GB of data on their devices, let alone 64 or 128GB. Do you need 128GB of data with you at all times?

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Is anyone else upset at the size increase? If I can't continue to use the entire width with one hand I'm going to be pissed.

If the rumors are true (and I kind of think they are) Apple will release two sizes with reduced bezels. The 4.x screen increase with reduced bezel will work very similarly to the current size because the enclosure will feel the same in your hand. The 5.x screen size is for the rest of us who aren't concerned about one handed use. Win win!

Thunderstrike76

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
iPhone 6 in July

I've said this before. If apple releases the iwatch in the fall that's three products (iPhone, ipad, iwatch). I don't see apple releasing 3 devices in a two or three month span. The only device they can bump up has to be the iPhone. Releasing it in July makes perfect sense. But if they do release it in July will it launch with ios 8? Not sure if I see apple not releasing iPhone 6 and ios 8 together.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
If Apple delivers a 4.5-4.7 and a 5.5-5.7 inch iPhone and the smaller of the two is the same size as the 5S than there won't be any more complaints about screen size by anyone, most importantly me :D

----------

As an avid tech user with a large amount of data, I still have to ask-- why is there a necessity for this amount of space in a phone or tablet?? If people would take advantage of iTunes Match, iTunes in the Cloud (for renting and viewing purchased video) and Photo Stream, I would guess that ~80 - 90% of of them wouldn't get past 32GB of data on their devices, let alone 64 or 128GB. Do you need 128GB of data with you at all times?

Smartphones and Tablets ARE the new computers. If people want 1TB on their laptop and desktop for various reasons, than they want as much space as possible on their iPhones and iPads for the same exact reason.

----------

Please let this happen!!

I would do anything to get a 5.5 inch iPhone in July, and when I mean anything I mean ANYTHING!;)

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Yes. My music, which I don't want to access in the cloud.

You don't have to constantly stream it if you don't want to. You can download any tracks in your iTunes Match library to local storage on your device. If you know you're going to want xAlbum on your phone, download it (using your iPhone, iPad or computer) and listen to it. But I just don't understand the necessity of having every song with you at all times.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
You don't have to constantly stream it if you don't want to. You can download any tracks in your iTunes Match library to local storage on your device. If you know you're going to want xAlbum on your phone, download it (using your iPhone, iPad or computer) and listen to it. But I just don't understand the necessity of having every song with you at all times.

i own it so why not? i have so many pictures and videos also that i want at all times. i would be the first one in line for a 128 or even a 256GB iPhone.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I just don't understand the necessity of having every song with you at all times.

If Apple is all about ease of use than give me the option of having all of my songs with me at all times. I don't want to be bothered with keeping track of what's where. They put 128 in the iPad Mini, so I'm encouraged they'll follow with 128 in the iPhone 6. Otherwise Apple is playing games with their long-time customers who have built up large collections of apps, music, videos, docs, etc. I do see your point about using the cloud, but do you honestly believe Apple shouldn't offer some of their users more than 64GB?

----------

…or even a 256GB iPhone.

Well let's not get crazy!! :p

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Smartphones and Tablets ARE the new computers.
No they are not. For some people, these devices may be all they need for their computing tasks, but that doesn't change the fact that tablets ARE NOT computers.

I should clarify– as I'm sure some would be salivating at the bit to flame that statement. Therefore, when I say they are not computers, I mean that they cannot do many of the tasks that laptops and desktops can do, such as easily accessing the file system (Android's accessible file system in nowhere near applicable), lower level OS instructions, automation, etc.

Sure, smartphones and tablets are much closer to laptops and desktops than calculators are as far as computing is concerned, but you could also say that calculators are computers– they are, but not when measured against today's laptops and desktops.

If people want 1TB on their laptop and desktop for various reasons, than they want as much space as possible on their iPhones and iPads for the same exact reason.

People want and need 1TB of data on their laptops and desktops because the data is expected to reside there permanently. For most people, leaving all of your data on your mobile device simply isn't an efficient way of using your mobile device. The size and technology constraints of mobile devices require you to leverage cloud services to increase your reach to your data that you store offsite (at home, work, etc). The reason why most users still want (and don't need) 128GB of space is because they haven't learned how to leverage those cloud services, and cut the cord between their laptops and desktops at home.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York

Please let this happen!!

Time needed for developers to test ios 8 before it ships?

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
do you honestly believe Apple shouldn't offer some of their users more than 64GB?

Not at all, if users would like more space, I think Apple should make devices with the space their customers want. I'm just saying that for ~99% of consumers that want or use iPads and iPhones, that amount of space just isn't necessary. I just think that suggesting that the 64GB iPhone is somehow lacking in sufficient space, is incorrect. Now the rumored 8GB iPhone 5C that may come out-- TOTALLY insufficient in space.

Last edited:

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Wait. Why does the rumored screen size of the 'iPhone 6' increase every day? :confused:

First it was 4.5", then 5.5", now 5.7". Hell, just slap the phone app on an iPad mini and call it a day -_-

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Is anyone else upset at the size increase? If I can't continue to use the entire width with one hand I'm going to be pissed.

apple will have multiple screen sizes for you cry babies. the 4" iPhone is too uncomfortable in my hand, and many many MANY other people's hands as well.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I just think that suggesting that the 64GB iPhone is somehow lacking in sufficient space, is incorrect.

Never said that. I agree 64GB is more than enough for most people. I just think there's a market for 128GB iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.