Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_4_399.jpg
After the fourth-generation iPad reappeared on Apple's online storefront earlier today, the company has issued a press release confirming the return of the device to the company's product lineup. The iPad with Retina Display will replace the iPad 2 as the company's entry-level full-sized tablet option.
"Now for $399 customers can get iPad with a stunning 9.7-inch Retina display, fast A6X chip, and 5MP iSight camera, offering a dramatic upgrade in power, performance and value compared to the iPad 2 it replaces," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "The iPad line sets the gold-standard in mobile computing and all iPads have access to the largest and best ecosystem of more than 500,000 iPad optimized apps from the App Store."
The 16 GB WiFi-only iPad 4 is available for $399, while the WiFi + Cellular model starts at $529 in the U.S., with both black and white color options available. The iPad with Retina Display will be sold through the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores and select Authorized Apple Resellers. Customers looking for additional storage capacity beyond 16 GB must purchase the iPad Air, which is available in 16, 32, 64 and 128 GB options.

In line with earlier rumors, Apple today also started selling a new 8 GB iPhone 5c in select countries. The new 8 GB model with five color options is available in Apple's UK online store for £429 unlocked, making it £40 cheaper than the comparable 16 GB model.

Distribution of the new lower-capacity model is, however, rather limited, with Apple confirming to Fortune's Philip Elmer-DeWitt that the 8 GB model will only be available in the UK, France, Germany, Australia, and China.

Article Link: Apple Announces iPad 4 Relaunch, Confirms 8 GB iPhone 5c Limited to Select Countries

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Not sure if they will sell the 5c 8GB, but they will offer it for sale in select countries :)

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
I cant believe this. Instead of pushing out old products again, they should Focus on new ones.

Apple is lost.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is a pretty decent idea. The iPad 4 is still a powerful tablet, it doesn’t have anything “missing” like the iPad 2 ... and it only gives up some small % of performance and dimension for $100 savings (if you’re only considering a full sized iPad).

:cool:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
No iOS 8 for iPad 2?

Does this signal the end of iOS upgrades for iPad 2? if iPad 2 doesn't get iOS 8, then probably iPad 3 won't

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
“The iPad line sets the gold-standard in mobile computing......."

Shouldn't that be the rMBP?
I thought the iPad Air sets the gold-standard in tablet computing/usage.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
This discontinuing and relaunching of old products seems very un-apple like. They seem lost. I don't even usually say this, but Steve REALLY wouldn't have let this happen. Apple is supposed to move forward, not backward.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Better the iPad 4 as a cheaper option than the iPad 2. The iPad 4 is far more an appealing option for today's consumer.

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
I cant believe this. Instead of pushing out old products again, they should Focus on new ones.

Apple is lost.

I don't think bringing old products back to market in exactly the same form that they were originally sold has that greater effect on the development of new products

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Does this signal the end of iOS upgrades for iPad 2? if iPad 2 doesn't get iOS 8, then probably iPad 3 won't

To be honest, even as an iPad 3 owner judging by how iOS 7.0 ran on it I hope it doesn't, especially since it will automatically be downloaded even if I don't want it because it runs terrible.

My iPad 3 is fine with 7.1 but it was a total mess on 7.0.

I'd say it is very likely they will both be dropped together. It's not as bad as it used to be since now if Apps stop supporting the old iOS the App Store now has old version.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How are people complaining about this move? Clearly the ipad 4 is more suitable at $399 than the ipad 2 was.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
boooooo!!! They needed to sell the iPad 2 up till WWDC so the iPad 2 got iOS 8!!!!

Oh well.... since they still sell the 4S, iPod Touch 5 and iPad Mini non retina... surely they'll have to support it. Not to mention the fact that it was sold up until today and dropping support for a product after a couple of months would be pretty dodgy (Well the iPod touch 4th gen had that happen, but it was truly dreadful in iOS 6, where as the iPad 2 runs iOS 7 well)

Plus I read somewhere that there are still a massive amount of people who use the iPad 2... they'd annoy people by dropping support.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
This discontinuing and relaunching of old products seems very un-apple like. They seem lost. I don't even usually say this, but Steve REALLY wouldn't have let this happen. Apple is supposed to move forward, not backward.

I kinda agree with this statement. It's the exact same feeling I got when I read this news.

stan1028

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Is the 2 unknown iPad model code during the 7.1 launch about these 2 iPads (Wi-Fi only and Wi-Fi + Cellular)?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

Umm, educational eMac post iMac G4 introduction? Steve did this.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
To be honest, even as an iPad 3 owner judging by how iOS 7.0 ran on it I hope it doesn't, especially since it will automatically be downloaded even if I don't want it because it runs terrible.

I'd say it is very likely they will both be dropped together. It's not as bad as it used to be since now if Apps stop supporting the old iOS the App Store now has old version.

That would be terrible!! Considering Apple's new approach, where all the post iOS 7 Apple Apps were not made compatible with iOS 6, it would be a disaster. My iPad 2 ran iOS 7 fine!! I hope they aren't going to drop support. The iPad 3 is too young to loose support and the iPad 2 was still sold up to today + shares components with the 4S, Mini and iPod touch 5th gen.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012

Please do a favor for me.

Please turn "Reduce Motion" ON, and tell me if you have any animation when entering/exiting the Multi-tasking/App Switching Mode.

Do you see a Fade animation effect when in this mode using on 7.1, or do you see No animation effect at all when in this mode, just a 1-2 second delay between your input and the instant jump into/out from that mode without any transition animation effect?

Please let me know what you see on your iPad 3 with 7.1 in this mode.

Thanks.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
So, Apple's iPad line up still has Air, Mini and Original form factors, this is an upgrade to the Original form factor that phases out the non-retina screen. What's the problem?

Would the moaners in this thread rather Apple poured money into a new type of Original sized Retina iPad that was more like the 2? Why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.