Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
All the me-too's are out before the good one!

Apple is rumored to put out an iWatch. All the "Me-Too's" release their best guesses first.

The "Me-Too's" flop.

Apple doesn't release an iWatch. Apple just grins and reinvents something else.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I liked the ad, nice and upbeat. If it did actually sync with my iPhone, I'd actually consider wearing a watch again.

Nice little Easter egg if you try scanning the boarding pass QR code.

jamiemcd

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
As an investor, if these videos were Apple's big reveal, I'd be worried. Like Google glass this does not have mainstream potential. Practically no one is going to want to talk to their glasses or watch regularly.

I predict you won't interact much with the iWatch besides glancing at it and minimal gestures. Its primary purpose will be sensors attached to your body for the iPhone's HealthBook.

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
That looks really nice...especially compared to the current competition.

You do realize that this is just PR to promote their Android Wear project and none of those are actual real products, right? It's just showing what they think are future possibilities. Google is really good at PR, marketing, and advertising. That's the business they are in. Creating actual products that work like the PR fluff says? Not so much.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
(I don't think it's true, but) it would be so funny if Apple aren't even thinking about bringing out an "iWatch" and they just put out false rumours to troll all the other tech companies and watch them scramble something round as quick as they can :D
I do think it's true. Maybe they looked into it, but than they saw it doesn't add up and stopped thinking about it a long time ago. If Apple unveils something for the wrist, it won't have navigation or communication. Nothing that is better done using a smartphone, maybe not even a screen.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
This is the first time I'm getting afraid that Apple might lose everything to Google someday. Should they really keep everything closed? Google is so much faster with opening up everything..

How is it that all of you people are fooled by 'screen images simulated' in Samsung and Google commercials? These products aren't even real!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
IMO, the most impressive news today isn't Google's OS, but the fact we're now able to make circular LCDs with almost no bezel.

See the Moto 360:

Moto360_Macro_alt1_with+text.jpg

http://moto360.motorola.com

“Moto 360 will be available in a variety of styles globally in Summer 2014, starting in the US.”

I don't have much faith in Google/Moto finding creative uses for a smartwatch (other than notifications and badly replicating smartphone features), but at least it proves circular smartwatches can be done as soon as summer of this year.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
:confused:……….. I maybe the only one here, but I do not get it. It does the same thing as my iPhone……. it is why we have smartphones. Talk to Siri, Map, iMessages(texting), etc. So what is the difference?

And it seems so so boring and rather dull like those two guys…… zero personality…….. zero character. Oh well.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Not gonna lie. That round watch with that quick access info is pretty cool stuff. If Apple was planning an iWatch of some kind, pretty safe to say their thunder has already been stolen by the competition.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You do realize that this is just PR to promote their Android Wear project and none of those are actual real products, right? It's just showing what they think are future possibilities. Google is really good at PR, marketing, and advertising. That's the business they are in. Creating actual products that work like the PR fluff says? Not so much.

as others said, moto 360 is basically it.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
This is the first time I'm getting afraid that Apple might lose everything to Google someday. Should they really keep everything closed? Google is so much faster with opening up everything..

Apple will continue to be closed and sell their own hardware/software while making massive margins on it. They will have smaller market share but the cash will be flowing in.

Apple does not not need to put their software on 50 different watches from all the big CE companies. They will just put it on their own hardware, sell it at a premium that the competition cannot, and reap the benefits.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

I'm not since they have to very different strategies.

Apple wants to create a seamless, if close, eco-system that is the users hub for delivering content

Google isn't worried about a seamless system or a fragmented market as long as Google's web-based services are the focal point for the devices.

In the end, both can succeed.

Personally, until the "i" watches don't scream techno-nerd I have no interest in one; but then again I prefer an automatic or manual watch over digital movements as well.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
IMO, the most impressive news today isn't Google's OS, but the fact we're now able to make circular LCDs with almost no bezel.

See the Moto 360:

http://moto360.motorola.com

“Moto 360 will be available in a variety of styles globally in Summer 2014, starting in the US.”

I don't have much faith in Google/Moto finding creative uses for a smartwatch (other than notifications and badly replicating smartphone features), but at least it proves circular smartwatches can be done as soon as summer of this year.

On the link, the 5th or so image down shows the whole watch (or at least one design comp of a one model variant) and it’s extremely pretty piece of design. :cool:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
As an investor, if these videos were Apple's big reveal, I'd be worried. Like Google glass this does not have mainstream potential. Practically no one is going to want to talk to their glasses or watch regularly.

I predict you won't interact much with the iWatch besides glancing at it and minimal gestures. It's primary purpose will be sensors attached to your body for the iPhone's HealthBook.

I agree that the whole "talking into a watch" is pretty silly. The other features are useful though, and hopefully it is not a product that depends on voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.