Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Sounds like damage control, unfortunately.

I can very well imagine the book tries to turn anecdotes into facts so it has more appeal (read: better $ales), but why is Tim coming out so abruptly to call it nonsense?

He probably shouldn't comment on a book built out of anecdotes unless he is going to say the anecdotes are not true.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
From the excerpts I've seen, it is nonsense. I, along with many of you, have been following Apple for many years, and I can always tell when somebody thinks they know about the company but they don't.

This author is simply sensationalizing for the sake of sensationalizing because human beings love conflict.

The truth of the matter is, Steve Jobs was amazing. But Apple is fine, and the only thing that sucks about today's Apple is the insane community that tries to look for doom in every corner.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Does anyone else find the stock photo of Tim Cook every bit as creepy as the stock photo MR uses for Carl Icahn?

I am not saying that Tim is great looking, but that picture of Icahn haunted me for weeks.:D Tim's is just an average photo, IMO.

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
I don't believe for a second that you've even read it.

Since the author in question used to work for The Wall Street Journal, and The Wall Street Journal has been grinding the axe against Apple for many years, it's very easy to conclude that the book is a hack-and-slash job without ever having read the book. I'm planning to read the book as soon as it hits the remainder table.

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
If the book was truly off the mark then it would not have warranted a comment. However the CEO has commented and usually it's to cement confidence in its leadership when things may not be as great. You can have the last laugh when you have something in the pipeline that is out of the park. That would be an apt response to drivel. Hope that happens real soon.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
As a PR manager, he's pretty sad.

The man should have done the classic lift up and drop tactic like...

"I thoroughly enjoyed her book until I got to the end and realized it wasn't written as a fiction. Her outside view of this company was through thick, crazed, blood-tinted perspex." Done.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Where are the updates? Don't save everything till Sept....Release some now and nothing with 8 or 16 GB.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Better not to respond to this kind of thing Tim, it's a sensationalist book thats making money for the author.

The huge problem is that Kane wrote a book the just takes on the same view as what many others have been saying. The "doom and gloom" crowd is back and they are going to like this book. Heck even Larry Ellison has been on the "doom and gloom" track. ( Even though Apple is likely on much more solid foundation of how to survive after Jobs than Oracle is on how to survive after Ellison. As usual it is healthy chunk of Larry's ego talking. ) I actually would be quite surprised if Kane didn't go get some skewed bits from Larry for her doom and gloom book.

The book is simply going to be an excuse in the biz press to just regurgitate. It doesn't really help for Apple to hide their head in the sand. Especially when probably choreographed to coincidence "start the iPad 4 line back up again" day.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
He is one of those people that can't naturally smile. Some people look great and natural when they smile, others (like Tim) have to force it.

He looks a bit like my Dad when he smiles. It just doesn't look natural. My wife tells me all the time that I have a "fake" smile. Guess it just looks weird to everyone but us. Here is what it looks like

:D

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Jobs supposedly left behind a pipeline of 3 or 4 years worth of stuff. I'd say you can fairly judge Cook after they get past that.

Apple's weak spot has always been services. They're great with hardware and software so if Tim can somehow make iCloud more robust and do more than sync pictures then there's an opportunity to make Apple more of a platform for other stuff, beyond the usual Mac/iOS ecosystem you hear so much about.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Should've kept his mouth shut. Has just ensured the lady's book will become a bestseller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.