Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been named the most valuable billion-dollar company in the United States by brand identity firm Brand Finance, reports the Silicon Valley Business Journal.

brand_finance_apple.png
The standing was revealed in a new rankings report done by the firm which listed the top 50 billion-dollar brand names in the U.S., as Apple's $104.6 billion valuation was ahead of other technology companies including Google, Microsoft and Verizon which were valued at $68.6 billion, $62.8 billion, and $53.5 billion, respectively.

Throughout the past year, a number of other sources have also regarded Apple to be among the world's most valuable companies, with brand identity firm Interbrand putting the company's value above Coca-Cola and American business magazine Forbes heralding Apple as the world's "Most Admired Company" ahead of Amazon.

Article Link: Apple Named Most Valuable Billion Dollar Brand in America

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
In before "Apple is doomed!"

Take that Kane!

I don't see Samsung or HTC on there though...
Is HTC even a billion dollar company...?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Kane you're a loooooooser!!
Doomed not!
WSJ needs to fire who ever hired her!

Last edited:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK

Take that Kane!

Maybe because their not American companies! ;)

Just remember that the mighty can fall. Blackberry, Nokia etc..... No company is immune to this.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This is a list of most valuable brands "by estimating the royalty rate that would be charged for use of the brand and factoring in future revenue."

So this is either more sketchy analyst guesswork disguised as 'analysis' or it's just a statement of the obvious.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Samsung Closing In On Apple’s Brand Value Crown

Apple’s dominance is being challenged by Samsung however. The Korean giant’s improving reputation for reliability, a faster pace of innovation and wider range of devices are among many factors that have seen its brand value increase by US$20 billion to US$79 billion this year.

They have a way to go.

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is a list of most valuable brands "by estimating the royalty rate that would be charged for use of the brand and factoring in future revenue."

So this is either more sketchy analyst guesswork disguised as 'analysis' or it's just a statement of the obvious.

How else would you value a brand?

Of course it's guesswork. Until Apple decided to sell their brand there's no way to know what someone would actually pay for it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Don't forget though, they're "haunted."

Take that Kane!

Kane your a looser!
Doomed not!
WSJ needs to fire who ever hired her!

But that lady's book said they're DOOMED!!!! :-/

Except this "accolade" is due to success of current products, all conceptually birthed in the Jobs era. "Haunted," which I personally think is premature and based on thin air, discusses its future. There is no logical connection between the two. Cook still has to prove himself as a successor to Jobs, not a clone of Scully, Spindler, or Amelio. I don't take too much import to this "award" as its a reflection of Apple's past success, not a predictor of its future.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah they are worth a lot, they have a bunch of morons willing to buy an 8GB old phone for $700!

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Apple is seen as less than Google by a huge margin

Google at $1200 a share with a P/E of 33. Apple at $530 a share with a P/E of 13. I think those figures tell it all about which company is the most valuable and respected tech company on the planet.

YTD even Microsoft has outperformed Apple in share value by a huge amount. Apple's so-called value isn't worth anything on Wall Street. The company most likely to be doomed is still Apple, first and foremost. They can spin it any way they want but Google is considered a much more valuable company than Apple. Google is seen as going places in the future and Apple is seen as going nowhere. Having control over "the internet of things" is seen as having more value than "one new iPhone after another." Google is going up in value. Apple is going down in value. That's a fact.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
what about Exxon?

----------

Google at $1200 a share with a P/E of 33. Apple at $530 a share with a P/E of 13. I think those figures tell it all about which company is the most valuable and respected tech company on the planet.

YTD even Microsoft has outperformed Apple in share value by a huge amount. Apple's so-called value isn't worth anything on Wall Street. The company most likely to be doomed is still Apple, first and foremost. They can spin it any way they want but Google is considered a much more valuable company than Apple. Google is seen as going places in the future and Apple is seen as going nowhere. Having control over "the internet of things" is seen as having more value than "one new iPhone after another." Google is going up in value. Apple is going down in value. That's a fact.

I will agree that Apple is stagnant in growth at this time but where is Google going? I don't see them revolutionizing anything.

And you do realize that share prices mean nothing, right?

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
P/E is not the measure of that "value". A value here is an aggregate of excess money purchasers would pay compared to non branded or similarly build substitutes.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

The difference between Google and Apple is whereas Apple keeps what they're working on a secret, Google doesn't. Whereas Google releases products before they're ready, Apple doesn't. So Google is seen as moving at a quicker, more steady rate, because we get to see all the neat toys they're working on. Apple doesn't show us their toys until they've been perfected.

So really, Apple may or may not be ahead of Google. We can't know until they reveal and release their products this year. I'd be willing to bet that Apple is ahead, just because they have been in the past, but of course I could be wrong.

On another note entirely, I didn't realize I work for the ninth most valuable brand in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.