Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears poised to continue its string of setting new year-over-year records for quarterly iPhone sales, based on new data from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty. According to Huberty's "AlphaWise" smartphone tracker, Apple is on track to ship 42 million iPhones during the January-March quarter, topping the March quarter record of 37.4 million iPhones set last year.

Morgan Stanley's AlphaWise tracker follows Google Trends data, and the firm touts that it has been more accurate than analyst consensus in recent quarters. Analyst consensus and Morgan Stanley's own supply chain estimates have been pegging Apple's iPhone shipments for the quarter at 38 million units, but demand numbers appear likely to push that number up.

morgan_stanley_alphawise.jpg
The strong demand appears in nearly all geographical regions, with U.S. carrier and retailer promotions in particular being cited for increasing customer interest.

One area that has not fared as well is China, which is seeing weaker momentum this quarter due to the earlier launch of the iPhone 5s/5c in that country. New iPhones have typically debuted in China several months after the first wave of launches, but Apple made strong efforts to ensure that China was included in that first wave for the latest iPhones. The January addition of China Mobile as an iPhone partner is offsetting that loss of March quarter momentum in China somewhat, but not enough to turn the overall trend for the country positive.

Article Link: Apple Projected to Set New March Quarter Record with 42 Million iPhones Shipped

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Analysts: Well Apple can only go down from here...this is bad news.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But I thought the market was saturated and no one is buying smartphones anymore?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I keep on hearing about Android market share... here is one thing I do know. When you are running iOS, you are paying Apple directly. When you are running Android, that money is split between MANY companies. I'd rather keep 100% of the profits in a 10% market share than split 90% with 100 companies.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Morgan Stanley's AlphaWise tracker follows Google Trends data, and the firm touts that it has been more accurate than analyst consensus in recent quarters. [...] The strong demand appears in nearly all geographical regions, with U.S. carrier and retailer promotions being cited for increasing customer interest.
What, the demand for searching the word "iPhone" on Google is up? :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
And the stock prices will still fall :confused:

Not yet. This is the SETUP for the fall. The prediction is that it will be "another record quarter." This is intended to pump up the stock a bit. Then, when the quarterly results come out and Apple sells, say, 41.5 million iPhones instead of the "predicted" 42 million, the stock will take a dive because even though 41.5 mil would still be a record, not beating the estimate = DOOOOOOOMED.

Mark my words, this is *exactly* what will happen. Already, the hard data (as the article points out) suggest the number is closer to 38 million so far, not 42.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I keep on hearing about Android market share... here is one thing I do know. When you are running iOS, you are paying Apple directly. When you are running Android, that money is split between MANY companies. I'd rather keep 100% of the profits in a 10% market share than split 90% with 100 companies.

If you owned the company, yes. If you are an Apple shareholder, yes. As Joe consumer, why?

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Only last 4 quarter`s data make it a more accurate predicting tool? What about the previous 16 quarters?

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Actually all the money in the Android market goes to Samsung. Yes, the profits are split between 100 companies, but most of them get a negative share.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Not yet. This is the SETUP for the fall. The prediction is that it will be "another record quarter." This is intended to pump up the stock a bit. Then, when the quarterly results come out and Apple sells, say, 41.5 million iPhones instead of the "predicted" 42 million, the stock will take a dive because even though 41.5 mil would still be a record, not beating the estimate = DOOOOOOOMED.

Mark my words, this is *exactly* what will happen. Already, the hard data (as the article points out) suggest the number is closer to 38 million so far, not 42.

I believe this is exactly correct.

Also, Huberty is the worst analyst, and an excellent contrarian indicator. if she says we should buy run for the doors. If she says things are going to zero, probably time to buy. Please keep in mind, I don't think she's stupid; I think she knows exactly what she is doing and I don't know why it isn't illegal.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Model for model, Apple still sells the best-selling smartphones of all-time....doesn't seem as though anything can stop them right now. The Galaxy line is losing steam, while the Note line is picking it up - but the Note line is FAR away in terms of unit sales from any of the iPhone models.

Will be interesting to see what the estimates will be for Q4 when Apple releases their larger screen iPhone. 60 million?

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Tim Cook will probably come under fire for the company not releasing anything new this year, after saying that new products will be coming throughout this year. The fact that there hasn't been an Apple media event will be an issue.

At lease that's my theory based on pretty much what "popped into my head" #

P.S I agree with the poster who pointed out it's only March and the year is still young :) I'm thinking WWDC is where it will all begin

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Tim Cook will probably come under fire for the company not releasing anything new this year, after saying that new products will be coming throughout this year. The fact that there hasn't been an Apple media event will be an issue.

It's March 19th? Last I checked there were still 287 days left in 2014....:confused:

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
I am in agreement with you! But that doesn't mean it won't happen unfortunately. Lol then again like I said in my edit it's just a theory #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.