Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Introduced earlier this month, iOS 7.1 appears to be causing issues with personal hotspots for quite a few iPhone users around the world. Following the update, some users appear to be unable to save APN settings for personal hotspots, which have vanished following the update from iOS 7.0.6 to iOS 7.1.

While information can be entered into the APN fields of the Cellular Data Settings menu, the values do not save, and attempting to establish a tethered connection results in an error message. Apple's Support Communities currently features a 15-page thread on the issue that was started shortly after iOS 7.1 was released, with many users reporting the same problems with tethering.

cellularapn.jpg
Apple's support staff appears to be confused by the root cause of the issue, with several customer service representatives suggesting the problem lies with carriers. Carriers that have been contacted have indicated that it is an issue with Apple, however.
Same here. Hotspot not working since I upgraded to 7.1. Such an annoying issue. I phoned my carrier this morning and they didn't want to get involved since "it's a device issue since settings can't be saved". No carrier updates either when I installed 7.1. So right now, no hotspot and no one wants to get involved.
Other users have heard that it is a problem limited to carriers that do not currently have a contract with Apple. The iPhone 4, 4s, 5, and 5s all appear to be affected by the issue, and there is currently no available fix. Users in Germany, India, Austria, Spain, Serbia, Thailand, Estonia, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Brazil, and more have reported issues with hotspots.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Causing Issues With Personal Hotspots

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hope I'm not, I'll be using this Friday when I tether my laptop while waiting for my truck to get serviced

chicagohoops

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago
My personal hotspot is blissfully fine with iOS 7.1 running on an iPhone 5 on T-Mo's network. Used it with my MacBook Pro for about three hours yesterday.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My personal hotspot works fine but my wife's one has had issues for a while now.

chokmc

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
Brunei APN issue resolved

I had the same problem too after update via OTA. The problem is resolved after I plugged my phone onto my pc. iTunes did a carrier update for me and the settings seemed to be entered via iTunes automatically!

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I only use the personal hotspot when I cannot find a free wifi connection. Seems like the only place I cannot find a free connection anymore is an airport.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No issues here on 3uk. That said three took the option to see the apn settings away a long time ago.

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
Well, 'm using an iPhone 5 as-well-as an iPhone 4s, don't see any issues like that. Completely fine. From India. Maybe, the US carriers are just too stubborn

I suppose it's for the 4G network.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I had the same problem too after update via OTA. The problem is resolved after I plugged my phone onto my pc. iTunes did a carrier update for me and the settings seemed to be entered via iTunes automatically!

If that's true then going to settings> general > about would prompt a carrier update on the phone thus resolving the issue if it is indeed a missing carrier update glitch.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
"Users in Germany, India, Austria, Spain, Serbia, Thailand, Estonia, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Brazil, and more have reported issues with hotspots."

That's because there are no Apple programmers in those locations, or if they are they are in a nice, air conditioned building with a Wi-Fi hotspot right above their desk and a cell tower right outside their window just like the ones in California. They don't actually test their stuff under anything less than ideal conditions, and if they do I can't tell. I see all kinds of networking 'features' with my MacBook and iPad Air in the real world that they've probably never even dreamed of. It's called developing software in a vacuum. It seems to be quite popular these days.

Having said that, if this IS a whack at phones that are being used on unauthorized networks then good on 'em. But The above still stands.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
"Users in Germany, India, Austria, Spain, Serbia, Thailand, Estonia, Hungary, Belgium, Italy, Brazil, and more have reported issues with hotspots."

That's because there are no Apple programmers in those locations, or if they are they are in a nice, air conditioned building with a Wi-Fi hotspot right above their desk and a cell tower right outside their window just like the ones in California. They don't actually test their stuff under anything less than ideal conditions, and if they do I can't tell. I see all kinds of networking 'features' with my MacBook and iPad Air in the real world that they've probably never even dreamed of. It's called developing software in a vacuum. It seems to be quite popular these days.

Having said that, if this IS a whack at phones that are being used on unauthorized networks then good on 'em. But The above still stands.

yep, i bet these are all US phones originally

scheming

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2005
No problems on iPhone 5s iOS 7.1 32 GB Verizon Wireless. And I can't see any VZW iPhone 5/5s subscriber experiencing a problem due to the way Personal Hotspot is activated/enabled on VZW. Some carriers actually require the use of a different APN and that's different from the way VZW does it. I think people with problems either activated non-carrier-supported iPhones and are experiencing problems or restored their settings and data from a previously jailbroken iPhone.

mstur

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2001
No problems here in Austria...

At least with the 3 network and with the A1 network !
I am using now a hotspot to my ipHone 4 on the 3 net, works smoohtly, and just checked the same with my iPhone 5s on the A1 net !!

So: the major networks in Austria have no problems with iOS 7.1 and the WLAN hotspot mode !

Maybe it is just a new feature, not a bug ??

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Haven't tried it yet, but will look into it. I don't tether all that often and look forward to moving back to an LTE enabled iPad retina mini....just more convenient.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
No issue here either VZW more stuff plan and iPhone 4s. Of course we dont have to enter any APN settings as it all "Just works".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.