Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I can't believe you guys didn't post this from their twitter
iQL1L7x.png

I agree. Just sayin'. In the ray traced one you can't see the tree or the car. Hopefully this is simply a proof of tech. I don't really care if every leaf has it's own lifelike shadow if the picture as a whole looks dingier.

The contrast in the rasterized image is overblown. The ray traced has a more accurate physical representation since its based on the actual physics of incident light sources.

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
combine this in the iphone 6 with a decent controller costing less than $100 (mysteriously always translating to £100) and we have a winner

jeffmetanna

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
It's a step in the right direction. But It will be a while (like 3+ years while) before we get to play any games using this technology on iOS devices.

Here's why:

1. Ray-Tracing is a very performance-intensive process. Building a hardware that supports this technology is one thing but making a game that works on this hardware is another. Give it about 2-3 years before the hardware is finally capable enough to run a game with Ray-Tracing.

2. Developers are not familiar with the technology. They know what it is but they never built a game that renders with Ray-Tracing. Also, many developers nowadays use a game engine (Unity, Unreal Engine) for easy cross-platform development. The Ray-Tracing support must be baked in these game engines before most developers start developing a game with them.

3. No AAA titles in 3+ years. Big developers care about one thing, the profit (EA?). They will only build a game for a platform that's worth their trouble. When you build a game today, your game should run on iPad 2 or iPhone 4. No big name developers will build a game that will only work on the latest iOS devices. The market is just simply not big enough.

It is however, a step in the right direction. It's more of a future-proofing (and a bone for the marketing team) than anything else.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
It's a step in the right direction. But It will be a while (like 3+ years while) before we get to play any games using this technology on iOS devices.

Here's why:

1. Ray-Tracing is a very performance-intensive process. Building a hardware that supports this technology is one thing but making a game that works on this hardware is another. Give it about 2-3 years before the hardware is finally capable enough to run a game with Ray-Tracing.

2. Developers are not familiar with the technology. They know what it is but they never built a game that renders with Ray-Tracing. Also, many developers nowadays use a game engine (Unity, Unreal Engine) for easy cross-platform development. The Ray-Tracing support must be baked in these game engines before most developers start developing a game with them.

3. No AAA titles in 3+ years. Big developers care about one thing, the profit (EA?). They will only build a game for a platform that's worth their trouble. When you build a game today, your game should run on iPad 2 or iPhone 4. No big name developers will build a game that will only work on the latest iOS devices. The market is just simply not big enough.

It is however, a step in the right direction. It's more of a future-proofing (and a bone for the marketing team) than anything else.

One benefit is that ray tracing is much simpler in implementation because it's not rife with optimizations and tricks used in rasterization to approximate which surfaces are being hit with light and in what manner. It's because of those shortcuts that you can get an approximate solution with less resources. Ray-tracing is the holy grail because it's an actual physical representation of how light is behaving in the scene, it's just too computationally expensive to justify its use (until sometime in the near future hopefully). One would hope that simplicity makes development easier on the programmers.

Last edited:

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I don't see how this improves upon the iPhone. How many people have played a game and said to themselves, "Gee, this game would be SO much better with more realistic lighting and shadows."?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I don't see how this improves upon the iPhone. How many people have played a game and said to themselves, "Gee, this game would be SO much better with more realistic lighting and shadows."?

Millions. It's the promise of new consoles every generation. Imagine a stealth game where your dynamically cast shadow gives away your position/presence. Just one example.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
ImgTec proposed/has an open API for it, OpenRL.

They've already used the transistor budget to improve rasterization. This is completely added on hardware. They bought Caustic which makes cards for commercial ray tracing use. Id's John Carmack [1][2] was impressed with what they had done.

Thanks! This indeed looks interesting. I am impressed by the technology, of course, but after browsing though the APIs and looking at the code of their sample, I am still unsure what to thing of it. It looks like a nice demo, certainly, but I'd like to know more about performance characteristics and usability in real applications. Looking from their rendering code, I don't see why they couldn't have used rasterisation based methods for soft shadows and occlusion - that would probably result in simpler and maybe even higher-performing code (in the demo they are doing a number of potentially very expensive synchronisation and copy operations).

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Millions. It's the promise of new consoles every generation. Imagine a stealth game where your dynamically cast shadow gives away your position/presence. Just one example.

To be fair, your example doesn't have much to do with ray tracing ;) People have been doing high-quality dynamic shadows with rasterisation for quite some time now.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Yeah, on your 4" screen.

I forgot that, in the future, all games are played on 4" screens. My bad.

To be fair, your example doesn't have much to do with ray tracing ;) People have been doing high-quality dynamic shadows with rasterisation for quite some time now.

There was one day where no games had that. Then one did. Just a point to show it's not all about being prettier.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

Here's why:

It's built into the hardware, no longer a burden on the GPU to do or cheat and do with shaders. They have an API and it's being built into Unity 5 and will no doubt be added to other engines.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
seriously ? who cares about "More Realistic Lighting and Shadows" on a phone screen ? :rolleyes:

on a computer screen or a HDTV, ok, that makes sense

on a phone, seriously, i don't give a damn

i just want my apps to run smoothly and my phone to last more than a few hours before running out of juice

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
This makes the possibility of the new Apple TV having a strong gaming focus very interesting. Apple has probably known about this tech since they started working with Imagination.

lulumink

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
haha, such a smart marketing strategy article.
this can only fool people without CGI knowledge.

Ray Tracing is not even possible on desktop computers yet.
It's very computation intensive algorithm that can only found in CG movie and FX effects.

Dream on.

AX338

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2013
London
Can't they add a function so that when the phone is in Airplane mode it still transmits in case the plane goes missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.