Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated GarageBand for Mac to version 10.0.2, bringing several improvements including the ability to export tracks in MP3 format and three new Drummer options in the $4.99 content pack.

garageband_10.jpg
What's New in Version 10.0.2

- Improves stability and addresses a number of minor issues
- Adds the option to export songs as an MP3
- Contains multiple enhancements to Accessibility
- Includes 3 new Drummers and drum kits from the rock, songwriter, and R&B genres*

*Part of the one-time in-app purchase that includes the complete set of GarageBand sounds, loops, and drummers, as well as access to the GarageBand Lesson Store.
GarageBand 10 was introduced alongside OS X Mavericks last October and was part of a significant shift in Apple's business model that saw all iLife and iWork apps for iOS and Mac devices become free for customers purchasing new devices. While the basic GarageBand app for Mac is a free download [Mac App Store], additional content such as virtual drummers, lessons, sounds, and loops are part of a $4.99 in-app purchase package due to licensing costs associated with the content.

Article Link: GarageBand for Mac Updated with MP3 Export, New Drummers, and More

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm really impressed with GarageBand at the moment. IMHO they've done a great job with the UI, which means it's barely a learning curve from this to Logic Pro X in regards to basic editing. They're giving people the tools to create great things, and it's a really good way to help interest in their Pro applications.

Lazrhog

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
UK
strange ... it didn't show up as a Software Update on my mac ? Had to go and re-download from the Appstore

logics8

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Finally putting back old features that I greatly missed... This feels almost like what they did with FCPX. I still wish they brought back some keyboard shortcuts. As a long time user, I try to do what I used to do and all I get is the flash of my screen now in error.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Great!!! Another gigabyte and a half update for a few tweaks :rolleyes:

It's just the base update that contains 'a few tweaks'. And the base application is under 1GB, so I'm not sure where you got 1.5GB from.

If you're getting a 1.5GB update, it's more than likely that you've got the loop/drummer expansion for it -- in which case, you're getting quite a lot more from this update. :confused:

Dissonance

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
Boston, MA
In-app purchase

I still can't believe Apple is keeping the in-app purchase method with this app. It is just so against what apple is about - teasing people with a "free" version that constantly annoys with the grayed out options on iPad and Macs. They should either make it free or make it a $5 app.

They also need to figure out how to easily manage in-app purchases on "site licenses."

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I still can't believe Apple is keeping the in-app purchase method with this app. It is just so against what apple is about - teasing people with a "free" version that constantly annoys with the grayed out options on iPad and Macs. They should either make it free or make it a $5 app.

They also need to figure out how to easily manage in-app purchases on "site licenses."

In-app purchases is a dangerous term to use, as implies constant purchases to get functionality . Garageband has plenty of functionality, and if you want a few extra loops and some extra functionality, you pay a one-off fee of $5 which is permanently linked to your Apple ID.

Frankly, you'd be hard pressed to find a better music production suite for $5. Not to mention ... it's $5. Cheaper than a packet of tabs or a couple of beers.

andycr

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Is it still as unbelievably shoddy and unstable as it was when it first came out? That's all I want to know. Couldn't care less about the drummers.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm over the moon about the new Garageband really. It's a far more complex DAW than people give it credit for, especially for something that's free. Some of the software instruments (especially the drum loops) aren't as laughably unusable as they used to be. The new UI is also a major improvement over the previous iteration. The only initial issue I had was converting my old GB files to the new format, but that's over and done with now.

Bottom line, if you just want to knock some ideas out on your Mac, there's nothing better. If you want to learn to use a DAW and start recording music, there's not a better place to start IMO.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does it have effects again? Amazing that they took out basic effects in the new version.

Not sure what you're referring to. AU plug-ins and all that were always in there. It was just rearranged. It's actually better because each instrument/amp/guitar whatever now has its own interface.

vjpulp

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Bern, Switzerland
Export to MP3… really??

Is this a new marketing strategy of Apple? Dropping basic features and then adding them back in a future version, claiming this to be a terrific update…?
(Same thing with calendar synching via iTunes instead of iCloud)...

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't personally see a need for Export to MP3, but to each his own. It's not like you couldn't add a song to SoundCloud/iTunes/BandCamp with the other formats. But I'm certainly glad they added it back. I just never used it.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Not sure what you're referring to. AU plug-ins and all that were always in there. It was just rearranged. It's actually better because each instrument/amp/guitar whatever now has its own interface.

That's not true.

In the old Garageband, you could add any FX to any instrument. In this new version, you can only change the ones Apple had preset with that instrument.

For example, if I had a piano up on Garageband 2011, I could add "Bitcrusher" to any instrument. You can't do that with the newest Garageband. Also, Apple took away FX Presets.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Export to MP3… really??

Is this a new marketing strategy of Apple? Dropping basic features and then adding them back in a future version, claiming this to be a terrific update…?
(Same thing with calendar synching via iTunes instead of iCloud)...

It's a minor .0.x update with a tiny change log, in what way are Apple using this a marketing strategy? :confused:

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I'm not interested in the pre-packaged loops. What kind of capability does Garageband offer in terms of loop generation? Can I create loops from scratch with nothing but Garageband?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.