Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 7, Apple redesigned the user interface from top to bottom, removing most "skeuomorphic" elements and giving the OS a cleaner and lighter look and feel. Back in January, it was reported that OS X 10.10 -- code named Syrah -- would also see a flatter redesign, but that it would not see as extensive a reworking as iOS did.

Designer Danny Giebe has posted a series of concept images on Dribbble, showing what an iOS 7-inspired redesign of OS X could look like:

finderredesign.jpg

mailredesign.jpg
This is a concept for Mac OS X Syrah, expected to be published in September 2014. It's based on the new flat design approach of the Contacts and Notes App introduced in Mac OS X Mavericks.
It is not known what Apple will call the next version of its OS X operating system, but may show off the new OS -- and its new California-inspired name -- at WWDC in June of this year. Over the past several years, Apple has tended to release its new Mac operating system in mid-Fall.

Article Link: OS X 10.10 Mockup Shows Off 'Flat', iOS-Inspired Design

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Sounds good to me. As long as they don't remove function. I like having the same look across all my devices. Just please don't make all the dock icons square

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
After my heart rate settled down, it started to grow on me, already. Change is a bitch, but bitches can be good, too.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I'm not sure if i like it or not. I don't really think Mac OS needs adapting in the same way iOS has, OSX has to me, always looked brilliant as it is.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
I give it a meh. It might look better if Apple does it, right now it looks like Microsoft [over]did it.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Every 'flat' OSX design concept I've seen has been really nice. Apple could be so subtle with it and still keep everything distinctly OSX. With simple straight lines and block colours, Mac OSX could become something really up to date and modern whilst still remaining iconic and instantly recognisable as OSX.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
If you want just change some icons and get it over with. But, I hate to say it this is ugly. I like the current layout, the new one is just um....please don't.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
On the one hand, I like it, but on the other, I'm afraid all the white will turn my monitors into tanning lamps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.