Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
Don't mind if OS X gets a makeover, but it will be better than these terrible mockups.

Don't know why MR decides to post this as a news story - there have been several (better!) mockups already.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I like it.

Edit: On second look, the buttons need work though. They don't really match. But other elements I like.

Last edited:

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
How can it be called 10.10???? 10.10 is the same number as 10.1!!!!

It has to be OS11 already!!
They are showing the design, until it's official, you can call it whatever you feel like, like they did. :)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Apple didn't remove skeuomorphism as a whole, they removed skeuomorphism that added no value from a functional standpoint and made the UI compete with content.

When I look at those mockups, I feel like the UI actually competes more with content than it does on OS X currently.

Apple's core principles for iOS 7 make a lot of sense. It's too bad they sometimes fail to apply them.

I hope they don't put form (and an ugly one at that) over function again and don't release such a thing. Not only it is not elegant at all, but it's worse from a functional standpoint. It's not lighter, it's heavier.

agentcircus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2009
This is so stupid. No one cares about a non-Apple affiliated mock-up that is as likely to come fruition as Steve Jobs returning from the grave. This doesn't even qualify as a rumor, what a waste of time. Disappointed in MacRumors for wasting everyone's time with all of these "mock-ups."

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
No. Just no. All that translucency reminds me of Windows Vista. Opaque windows are so much better in their function. When I want to interact within a window, I neither care nor want to see what's underneath it.

I think Mac OS X is at its finest right now aesthetically. I hope Apple don't ruin it just by wanting to make it look like iOS.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's okay. I just wish they'd bring colors back to the icons and such, similar to the way it was in Snow Leopard.

It'd really be cool if they'd allow us to customize and provide several default themes for OS X to choose from.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Every 'flat' OSX design concept I've seen has been really nice. Apple could be so subtle with it and still keep everything distinctly OSX. With simple straight lines and block colours, Mac OSX could become something really up to date and modern whilst still remaining iconic and instantly recognisable as OSX.

I agree so much. A direct port of the iOS 7 UI to OS X would be terrible, but if done right it can actually look really good. I like these mock-ups, but not the mock-ups that people were making back when iOS 7 was released.

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
If I liked flat white stuff with writing on it, I'd stick with paper. It's significantly cheaper than a Mac. :)

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
People should realize that this 'flat design' is a trend, not an evolution.... and trends are bad to follow for operating systems...

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Is it me or is continuing to have the "music" and "movies" folder pointless on OS X? I'm citing the fact that iTunes commandeer's the music and movies into it's own folder within the "Music" folder.

I'd like to see a iTunes folder already built it.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I like the way things are spaced out and the flatness, but I don't like the translucent windows. That's Windows 7 and it looks crap. I do think OS X needs some important changes, but I don't think it looks aged (skeuomorphism ages very quickly as we know).

I think the main thing that OS X needs is a vastly improved Finder, where icon views, window sizes and sorting is SIMPLE and CONSISTENT. Right now if you open a Finder window and set the icon spacing and the window size, that will only apply to THAT particular folder and nothing else. You'll be stuck with the default view forever unless you change each and every folder manually which could potentially take tens of thousands, if not millions of years, if you have many folders on your system. Now I don't have that much time unfortunately.

Also SMB needs to be fixed or basically just trashed entirely and rewritten from zero, as it does not work and has never worked properly.

And TextEdit needs to calm the hell down and stop presenting me with an Open File dialog whenever I open it. If I wanted to open a file, I'd have gone to Finder and double clicked the file. Navigating to file locations from within the Open dialog is what you did in the 90's.

MacDude21

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2013
I like it, as long as apple keeps that beautiful dark blue theme to it. Not the windows, but menu bars, highlighting, folders, buttons, and loading progress bars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.