Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has added a new "Indie Game Showcase" section on the App Store dedicated to games made by independent studios, reports MacStories. The page promises to regularly highlight notable titles from indie developers, as well as their favorite games from other studios. For its inaugural showcase, Apple highlighted action-thriller game Device 6 from developer Simogo, which was chosen as a runner up for Game of the Year during Apple's Best of the iTunes Store 2013 awards.

indie_game_showcase2.jpg
Often made up of just a few dedicated members, independent studios prove that what really matters is the size of your dream. In each Indie Game Showcase, we celebrate a popular game and its creative team, highlighting the developer's titles along with their favorite games from other studios.
Various indie games have seen a great amount of success on Apple's App Store since it first launched in 2008, with titles like Flappy Bird, Doodle Jump, and Fruit Ninja becoming international hits. Popular indie titles made for other consoles have also begun appearing on iOS, with games such as Terraria and Limbo seeing releases on Apple's platform.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out New 'Indie Game Showcase' Section on App Store

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
This is very cool I am glad to see them giving back to what really helped the platform take off!

Here's hoping my upcoming ios game Adventure To Fate makes it!

Edit: there also seems to be a "10 incredible indie games" section as well!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oooh, this is going to be a GREAT place to checkout. I can't wait to see the next one.

Year Walk is great, I'm still playing through it. Forgot I had downloaded Kosmo Spin though (I'm surprised they even list it as it's not for the iPhone 5, and works with iOS 3!).

Love their picks too. Groove Coaster is fun, and Bad Hotel too.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This is very cool I am glad to see them giving back to what really helped the platform take off!

Here's hoping my upcoming ios game Adventure To Fate makes it!

Edit: there also seems to be a "10 incredible indie games" section as well!

I totally agree. This is why I love Apple. They never forget their roots, the consumers, the developers, those who help grow these incredible platforms.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Oooh, this is going to be a GREAT place to checkout. I can't wait to see the next one.

Year Walk is great, I'm still playing through it. Forgot I had downloaded Kosmo Spin though (I'm surprised they even list it as it's not for the iPhone 5, and works with iOS 3!).

Love their picks too. Groove Coaster is fun, and Bad Hotel too.

You'd probably like Device 6 too. :eek: </blatantpromotion>

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm still undecided whether or not I would like it. It looks like it would be hard on the eyes.

That actually seems to engross the user more by making them as disoriented as the protagonist—not to mention the constant iDevice rotating. However, it does feature some of the the most beautiful kinetic text I've seen.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Short of a few misfires by large publishers and even fewer big hits, isn't the app store primarily made up of Indie titles anyways?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.