Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
They've always been awful. :D

Just kidding, Parachutes had some pretty decent songs...and their last album wasn't too bad either. Have yet to find a song I enjoy from the new album.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The OP needs to edit his thread title. He mistakenly put the word new in it.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Wow, I'm surprised by all the dislike for Coldplay. I always thought they were a well-liked band by most people (older stuff, anyway).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well it turns out they're actually terrible. Sorry to burst your bubble.

This is an opinion, (strongly stated) but not a fact…….unless it is a considered fact that you dislike Coldplay.

For what it is worth, firstly, I have not heard the 'new' (or recently released) album, and so cannot offer an opinion (informed, prejudiced, or otherwise) on whether or not I dislike it. Secondly, along with the proverbial 'most people', I actually do like some of their stuff from the 1990s. 'Parachutes' was a very good album, as was 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' which contained a few tracks that I really like. Indeed, I have both albums on my iPod.

Last edited:
Reactions: PowerBook-G5

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Anything beyond Viva la Vida from these guys has been garbage. Too many 'whooaaa's padding out the songs and unimaginative instrumentation.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The first song was okay, but the video was sort-of contrived.

It seems like their success has detached them from reality - or something.

----------

'Parachutes' was a very good album, as was 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' which contained a few tracks that I really like. Indeed, I have both albums on my iPod.

Agreed.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
This is an opinion, (strongly stated) but not a fact…….unless it is a considered fact that you dislike Coldplay.

For what it is worth, firstly, I have not heard the 'new' (or recently released) album, and so cannot offer an opinion (informed, prejudiced, or otherwise) on whether or not I dislike it. Secondly, along with the proverbial 'most people', I actually do like some of their stuff from the 1990s. 'Parachutes' was a very good album, as was 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' which contained a few tracks that I really like. Indeed, I have both albums on my iPod.

I really really liked those two albums, liked about three or four tracks from X&Y, and occasionally play one from Viva la Vida... so the trend from my viewpoint is not encouraging. Think I never finished listening to Mylo Xyloto (1 play count per track likely means I left the room and at least metaphorically never came back). I could like the band again because they do change up their approach, but I may well skip their latest offering if they've considered Magic a key track in the Ghost Stories collection.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Coldplay sucking is like the big bang theory. Even though technically, the big bang is just a theory, the scientific community generally regards it as fact, given the overwhelming evidence for it. Coldplay sucking may be just a theory, but the evidence is overwhelming and much like how scientists just discovered those gravitational waves that help prove the BBT, soon we may find the smoking gun that scientifically proves that Coldplay is indeed garbage. :p

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No need to get snappy. I'm not a fan of Coldplay, but I always assumed they were liked by most people and was just curious.

My apologies. I think Coldplay has somewhat gone the way of campy, uninventive music at this point. The song "Yellow" is brilliant, but that was a long time ago.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Coldplay sucking is like the big bang theory. Even though technically, the big bang is just a theory, the scientific community generally regards it as fact, given the overwhelming evidence for it. Coldplay sucking may be just a theory, but the evidence is overwhelming and much like how scientists just discovered those gravitational waves that help prove the BBT, soon we may find the smoking gun that scientifically proves that Coldplay is indeed garbage. :p

Well not sure, but I know for a fact Nickelback sucks-well at least if Coldplay is the Big Bang Theory, Nickelback sucking is like the round earth theory. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.