Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new report by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) suggests iPad owners replace their tablets less frequently than their iPhone-owning counterparts, who upgrade almost every two years. The longer iPad replacement cycle may be more like the Mac, which tends to be replaced every 2-4 years, or possibly even televisions which have a five to 10-year ownership span. (Via Fortune)

cirp-2104-ipad-replacement.jpg

The CIRP report, which surveyed 2,000 U.S. customers who purchased an iPhone, iPad or Mac in 2013, shows that almost half of iPad owners will go without their tablet, waiting a week or more to replace a broken, lost or stolen device. They also are twice as likely as iPhone owners to give their older iPad to friends or family members.
"We think Apple would prefer the iPad become a big iPhone," the report concludes. "We suspect, though, based on recent CIRP data about how buyers use them, that it's as much like a Mac, TV, or iPod, with less frequent replacement."
This replacement rate could affect future sales, driving them down as the tablet market becomes saturated. In this scenario, consumers would hold onto an iPad for a longer period of time, and future first-time iPad owners would be more likely to receive an older iPad than buy a new one.

Even as competition increases and the tablet market slows, Apple still is the top tablet vendor worldwide with 36 percent market share, according to Gartner's March 2014 report. The Cupertino company sold a record 26 million iPads in Q1 2014 and 195 million tablets overall.

Article Link: iPad Lifecycle Mirrors Macs and Maybe Even TVs Rather Than iPhones

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
This replacement rate could affect future sales, driving them down as the tablet market becomes saturated. In this scenario, consumers would hold onto an iPad for a longer period of time, and future first-time iPad owners would be more likely to receive an older iPad than buy a new one.

Is it ok that I don't want to buy a new tablet every release cycle?

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Apple made my iPad 3 so well, I won't need to buy another for quite a while.

Agreed. It's a pretty decent device. Could do with more RAM, as Safari and Alien Blue hammer it quite hard but otherwise I see no reason to upgrade.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
que ever increasing processor demand from IOS 8. The iPad is the one thing I really don't upgrade. I have a 3 and a mini left and they are just fine.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
For me, an iPad does last longer than a phone, but I doubt it will hit year 6 like my current MacBook...

A TV? Those are 10 years, no way my iPad 2 will still be good to go in 2022.

toddsimon

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
of course it does an iPad starts at 399 and iPhone starts at 99 or even less sometimes.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Apple made my iPad 3 so well, I won't need to replace it for quite a while.

I'm wondering if I can do a straight trade on my 32 gig + LTE iPad 3 for a bottom of the line iPad 4.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
That is good. I don't like the trend for everything to be disposable and just create more waste. As technologies become more mature (meaning, that newer generations of devices are not revolutionary but instead evolutionary), we should be able to use our devices for longer time.

Last edited:

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
The need just isn't there in an iPad to upgrade annually. iPhone's however, I go every second year. Speed increase by then is absolutely necessary.

iPad 3 is pretty great so far, but a new, lighter and faster iPad Air is next though :apple:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
A company that wants people to buy things from it more frequently?! What a novel concept! :rolleyes: Dare I say Apple may be interested in larger margins on each product sold?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Pretty obvious.

More people rely on their cell phones than tablets. The tablet iterations are less exciting (at least to me) and unless you're a gamer - even the original iPad (which I'm still rocking) is more than enough.

Also many phones are subsidized and iPads are less so.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
of course it does an iPad starts at 399 and iPhone starts at 99 or even less sometimes.

Thats with a contract. The 5s starts at 650 without a contract, also most people dont have contracts with ipads where they are able to upgrade. Ipads also dont go through the wear and tear that phones do, being put in pockets and basically brought with the user everywhere. Id say the price has nothing to do with it, but due to the circumstances of how each device is put out there, tablets and computers are able to have that longer life cycle.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
"We think Apple would prefer the iPad become a big iPhone," the report concludes.
The only big iPhone is in fact, a big iPhone. Hence iPhone 6 rumours.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Buy an iPhone (current gen) for $199 every two years.

Buy an iPad (current gen) for $399-499 every two years.

Makes sense. Also—for many people tablets aren't yet a necessity. That's changing, but right now most people could get by ok on their phone or an older laptop.

iKnackwurst

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
Germany
I own a iPad 2 that I bought on release day and have not thought about replacing it yet. If it contunes to run well I may keep it until the 7th. gen is out. Thats about the time I had my old MacBook before I replaced that.
In my case tgis artivle is quite true. Well except for the TV vomparison, mine is from 2007.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Exactly. "In other news, people replace more expensive computing devices less often."

THIS!

the iPad is a fairly expensive tablet. And the everyday, Average user isn't going to know the difference between 1 product lifecycle update.

Case Study (Your mileage may vary).

I purchased my sister an iPad2 for her birthday when the iPad 2 was fairly new. With 2 young kids, She loves it. It fully replaced using a computer for her at home as she could use it while keeping active with her children. She swears by it (she's a stay at home mom, but not by choice) as it still allows her full social interaction with friends and colleagues. She's not a gamer, And most of the time the iPad is in the 5 and 2 year olds hands (they can use it better than Grandma!). She is not a power user. She is a very typical baseline average for what can be done by the general population on these things.

Forwards a few years. I bought my father an ipad4 for his use. as an expiriment, I switched them. Same software between the two and let my sister and the kids play with the 4. After which, I asked all their opinions on the difference.

The kids obviously had no clue. they could launch everything exactly the same as before. easy peasy. Simple. the iPad was an iPad was an iPad. My sister didnt notice any significant differences. "slighty faster" and "a little lighter" was her explaination. in fact, She said she actually didnt notice until she went to plug it in and the connector was different.

Similarly, I did this with my father as well. He saw absolutely zero difference either for his basic average everyday needs.

when asked if they believed the value of $100 (more in Canada) was worth the upgrade from the 2 to the 4 for their use, they both claimed that there was absolutely no point in upgrading.

However, dont get me started on their opinions of iOS7

What this case study shows to me is that the fundamental differences between versions of the iPad, even with Retina display, are not significantly different enough to convince existing "average baseline" users to spend another $499 to get the latest and greatest. That seems to be a trend reserved for well. US. the techno junkies who care about geekbench scores and counting the FPS in our games.

Include in that the 3 was more of a stopgap product that really shouldn't have been made. its clear that there's not a big upgrade path.

The iPad air on the otherhand introduces (IMHO) the first really true significant update to the iPad line since the iPad2's release.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I still have an iPad 3, and I don't feel the need to upgrade it at least until the next iteration comes out; whereas I tend to upgrade my phone on a more or less annual basis. Tablets don't get used nearly as much, and are usually used around a desk or somewhere indoors, making battery life that much less important.

For me, my iPad upgrade cycle is more or less in line with how long the device still receives OS updates from Apple. And after that, I don't mind giving it to a family member who is less bothered by having the latest and greatest software on there.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

iPhone doesn't "start at $99". $99 is a subsidized cost when you sign up for a brand new 2-year contract. The lowest cost off-contract iPhone 5C is $549.00, so iPhone is more expensive than iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.