Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One year after it launched, Twitter is killing off its #Music iOS app. The company announced today that it will be removing the app from the App Store this afternoon, with existing users continuing to have access to the app until April 18.

Twitter said in a tweet that it will "continue to experiment with new ways to bring you great content based on the music activity we see every day on Twitter."

twittermusic.jpg
AllThingsD reported back in October that the app was likely to be discontinued because of "abysmal" download numbers and a lack of user interest. With Apple launching its iTunes Radio streaming music service alongside iOS 7, the iOS music scene has become increasingly more competitive and crowded.

It was reported earlier today that Apple is considering a new on-demand streaming music service similar to Spotify, along with an Android platform of the iTunes Music Store and iTunes Radio.

Article Link: Twitter's Little-Used Music App Shutting Down April 18

MacDude21

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2013
Don't bring it to android

Bringing iTunes to android would just make the android platform better-- a bad move for a company.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I knew that Twitter did something with music and I don't even have twitter! Any way this doesn't surprise me they are still losing money. They should work on that.

SpamJunkie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
Too bad, it's actually a good app! I was definitely the only of my friends that ever used it, so I'm not at all surprised that it's failing.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I think they went about it the wrong way. It was a good idea, but they did terrible in executing the idea.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Hold on. Twitter has a music App? Wow, maybe if they would have told us, we could have tried it out! :D. With Pandora, iTunes Radio and Spotify (ranked in order of usage) it is tough to get any visibility. Makes sense to shut it down and focus on something else like expanding to 141 characters :p

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It should have been in the Twitter app itself. They really should have something like, trending in music, fashion, sports, etc.

Yes, multiple apps are always a fail whale for a company. I'll never understand why they think people want their devices to be more cluttered. This also goes to companies who put out apps that simply link to their web site with no additional features.

If Twitter had integrated this into the main twitter app it might have made that app more appealing to users itself. Ultimately though, when it comes to music, its hard to compete with the dominant music apps for discovery.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Where are you getting that info from? Almost everybody I know regularly uses Twitter...

Anyway, not so shocked to see the end of this app. Used it once or twice when it launched but not at all since then.

I could careless what my friends tweet about. That's why I never used twitter.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Twitter's awful product team designs another awful product. But unlike the main client, they didn't at least have a successful product another team who actually understood it already built to ride on.

Twitter have the worst product team in the industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.