Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Correct, except I'm using ML.

I would like to upgrade to Mavericks, but I'm seeing too many problems reported in the forums. Sleep/wake issues, USB 3.0 issues, Nvidia driver issues, and did they ever bother to fix SMB support? Because that last one was a deal breaker for me.

If you're running any ML version later than 10.8.3, then it should work without doing anything extra, as well. I haven't heard about any issues with Mavericks and the GTX 6XX, but I haven't been around any forums for a while. :D

USB 3.0 issues? I haven't heard anything about USB 3.0, or SMB issues, nor have I ever encountered them, but have you heard anything about such issues after the 10.9.2 update? Both always worked fine with me.

I only had NVIDIA driver issues with a Late 2008 MacBook Pro with a 9600M GT at the end of last year, and that was probably due to the CUDA drivers I had at the time, which has also been updated recently.

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004

I would like to upgrade to Mavericks, but I'm seeing too many problems reported in the forums. Sleep/wake issues, USB 3.0 issues, Nvidia driver issues, and did they ever bother to fix SMB support? Because that last one was a deal breaker for me.

I'm running a PNY VCGGTX660XPB GeForce GTX 660 2GB in a MacPro 1,1 with the Tiamo Mavericks patch, running stock 10.9.2 and associated drivers, no EFI boot screen but everything works after login screen.

I don't see any video driver issues even with the 10.9.2 stock drivers, I have full CUDA support and am currently using the Inateck KT4004 card with an Orico USB 3.0 hub, UASP mode recognized on supported devices.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

I'm on a Mac Pro 5,1 running 10.9.2 with Nvidia Web Drivers and Cuda 5.4.7. My Video Card is a Gigabyte GTX 780 flashed by MVC. I also have the Inateck Card. No issues here.

Lou

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Running 10.9.2 with an EVGA GTX 660 OC 2GB Edition in my Mac Pro 3,1 with NVIDIA web drivers, no issues. Full CUDA support as well, and great performance in day to day activities. Much better than the Radeon 2600 XT, which was offloading a lot of its work onto my processors.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I haven't heard anything about USB 3.0, or SMB issues

The SMB issue was big enough that it hit the news on Apple sites. Basically, Mavericks added SMB2 support that was completely and utterly broken for nearly everyone. It seems like the sort of thing they should have fixed immediately, if not sooner, but I checked a couple of months later and it was still broken.

Gerry613

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
feel stupid

Hi,
I was reading this thread and I feel stupid about one specific point.
You guys are all talking about the EVGA model but what if I use the MSI or ASUS or other GTX 660 ?
Would that work?

Thanks

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^You'd be fine. I'm using a Gigabyte GTX 780 flashed by MVC. I believe I'm the only one on the forums with the Gigabyte Card. This is my second Gigabyte WindForce 3 fan model Card. I like them because I really like their cooler.

Lou

Gerry613

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
^^^^You'd be fine. I'm using a Gigabyte GTX 780 flashed by MVC. I believe I'm the only one on the forums with the Gigabyte Card. This is my second Gigabyte WindForce 3 fan model Card. I like them because I really like their cooler.

Lou

Thanks for the info ..
And for yours, did you flash it or just plugged it and had fun ?
As for I understand the flash is all about the boot screen .. (not that important for me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.