Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacPrime.ch notes that Apple has recently added three new locations to their Maps Flyover feature found in iOS.

perth.jpg
The new locations include Perth (Australia), Saint-Tropez (France) and Cordoba (Spain).

The 3D flyover features was introduced in iOS 6 and based on the technology of C3 Technologies which was acquired by Apple in 2011. Apple has been slowly expanding coverage since its launch and maintains a list of 3D-enabled locations on their website.

Article Link: Apple Maps Flyover Adds 3D Views of Perth, Saint-Tropez, and Cordoba

Jamiet361

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Leeds, UK
It also got added to Leeds (UK) a while ago, I just didn't see it documented about anywhere.

Awesome to see that Apple are still trying to improve their maps app!

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
When do they add the flyover, or how? Is it through iOS updates, they do it with the Maps app updates, or they make the changes in their servers?

BY THE WAY I just figured out the city where I live (Valencia, Spain) already has the flyover feature enabled. Yeah!

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
would rather we got updated maps before bothering with 3d views even if it is really cool.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
would rather we got updated maps before bothering with 3d views even if it is really cool.

Agreed. These 3D maps look like the sun melted everything in its path (read: terrible) at a close enough distance, so they're useless beyond a quick virtual tour of a city.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Happy to see them adding more cities but some cities look really bad. I hope Apple will one day make all of the cities look a lot better in 3D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If you're seeing enough distortion (after the first moments during loading) that Flyover isn't useful, then your experience is far different from mine. It's incredibly useful to me, seeing the shape of a building and it's surrounding approaches. Great for planning parking and being able to know in advance what you're looking for.

I always liked Google Street View for occasional uses like that, getting a feel for the surroundings of a new distination (what parking might be easiest, how tall the building is, etc.). I always assumed Flyover would be a mediocre second-best for that kind of thing, cool though it may be.

In reality, I find I launch Google Steet View about twice a year now (and am often disappointed by massive blurriness and lens flares when I try it). Whereas I use Flyover more than I ever used to use Street View.

They both show the "real" shape of the roads and buildings in a way a flat aerial photo can't. Street View in theory can show smaller signs than Flyover—but in reality is usually too blurry or distorted for that. Street View is eye-level while Flyover is up above the street—but I have zero problem recognizing something just because of that angle difference. In fact, an elevated view lets me see further—I find myself wishing that Street View would let me pop 40 feet in the air too.

And Flyover--IF your city has it--is SO MUCH EASIER TO USE. In Street View imaging roaming around all sides of a 1-block building to see what the different entrances are. Tap... pan awakwardly... load... tap... jump another 20 feet... it takes FOREVER and has no smooth motion. It's a sluggish, messy slideshow.

Flyover is fast, smooth, and truly 3D. It shows depth and scale in a way Streetview can't, and you can roam the block in seconds, spinning around the building using the SAME map controls you use for normal 2D viewing. It's not really a separate mode. Awesome.

I'm sure Street View will keep improving to the point where I use it again: it will show me small signs like parking rules. But I'm much happier with Flyover than I expected. It needs to reach more places. (And of course it will.)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

This.

We have a new subdivision going up. Homes started being built there probably back in September and there are probably 100 homes built now.

Apple maps do not show anything there.

Google maps are fully updated and show all the new homes and streets. I realize this is not in the areas mentioned in the OP but Apple maps are just bad.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If you're seeing enough distortion (after the first moments during loading) that Flyover isn't useful, then your experience is far different from mine. It's incredibly useful to me, seeing the shape of a building and it's surrounding approaches. Great for planning parking and being able to know in advance what you're looking for.

I always liked Google Street View for occasional uses like that, getting a feel for the surroundings of a new distination (what parking might be easiest, how tall the building is, etc.). I always assumed Flyover would be a mediocre second-best for that kind of thing, cool though it may be.

In reality, I find I launch Google Steet View about twice a year now (and am often disappointed by massive blurriness and lens flares when I try it). Whereas I use Flyover more than I ever used to use Street View.

Interesting. My experience has been pretty much the opposite. I've only used Flyover to show someone who doesn't have an iOS device what Flyover is about. It's neat for about 10 seconds. If I could fly, Flyover would be much more useful.

From a practical usage standpoint, I much prefer Google Street View. GSV shows me what to expect as I'm driving or walking to a destination. That's what I want because that's how I get to where I'm going.

To top it off, I've already noticed GSV images getting updated two or three times in the last three or four years. They're doing a heck of a lot of driving around; and they are now going over areas they've already covered to update their imagery. Any way you slice it, that's impressive. I love Apple and Apple products in general; but in the mapping department, they're way behind Google, in my opinion.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
This.

We have a new subdivision going up. Homes started being built there probably back in September and there are probably 100 homes built now.

Google maps are fully updated and show all the new homes and streets. I realize this is not in the areas mentioned in the OP but Apple maps are just bad.
That hasn't been my experience. We recently had some major roadworks where they added new overpasses and stuff, Apple and Google both had the new overpass a week or two before construction even started.

They definitely update the maps.

ahbiteme

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Well hopefully they got the right Perth - the one on the west coast, not the tiny town in Tasmania.

Attachments

• Americans.jpg
    Americans.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
It also got added to Leeds (UK) a while ago, I just didn't see it documented about anywhere.

Awesome to see that Apple are still trying to improve their maps app!

I noticed that when I was in the Apple store a couple of months back...it must have been done since last summer because I can see our garden half way through our landscaping. Great stuff.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
That hasn't been my experience. We recently had some major roadworks where they added new overpasses and stuff, Apple and Google both had the new overpass a week or two before construction even started.

I've just not seen it. It's been six months now and my area has not been updated. That's way too long.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

Here are screen caps of the area I am talking about. 1st is apple maps and the second Google.

They will be building homes on both sides of the street. It's obviously been months since Apple maps have been updated here in my part of Colorado.

For some reason, the forum is only allowing one upload. I'll attach the other in the next post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182

SandPebble

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge

This major bridge over the Mississippi River between East St. Louis Illinois and St. Louis Missouri opened on February 9, 2014 . It appeared on Google maps within 2 days. It has yet to appear on Apple maps.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
This major bridge over the Mississippi River between East St. Louis Illinois and St. Louis Missouri opened on February 9, 2014 . It appeared on Google maps within 2 days. It has yet to appear on Apple maps.

Apple maps are bad. You can see in my screen caps above that Google maps were updated very recently because it's spring and things are turning green now.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
This.

Over here in Tokyo, the road that's outside my place has been here for at least 60 years. Except in Apple Maps.
At this rate, the new buildings they're finishing up across the street won't show up in Apple Maps before the beginning of the 22nd century.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This.

Have you used the Report a Problem feature (click the info icon in the lower right)?

pramirez95

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago

They both show the "real" shape of the roads and buildings in a way a flat aerial photo can't. Street View in theory can show smaller signs than Flyover—but in reality is usually too blurry or distorted for that. Street View is eye-level while Flyover is up above the street—but I have zero problem recognizing something just because of that angle difference. In fact, an elevated view lets me see further—I find myself wishing that Street View would let me pop 40 feet in the air too.

And Flyover--IF your city has it--is SO MUCH EASIER TO USE. In Street View imaging roaming around all sides of a 1-block building to see what the different entrances are. Tap... pan awakwardly... load... tap... jump another 20 feet... it takes FOREVER and has no smooth motion. It's a sluggish, messy slideshow.

Flyover is fast, smooth, and truly 3D. It shows depth and scale in a way Streetview can't, and you can roam the block in seconds, spinning around the building using the SAME map controls you use for normal 2D viewing. It's not really a separate mode. Awesome.

I'm sure Street View will keep improving to the point where I use it again: it will show me small signs like parking rules. But I'm much happier with Flyover than I expected. It needs to reach more places. (And of course it will.)

Tim...is that you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.