Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
As a caution to anyone planning trips in the near future, unless the company decides to pay us a respectable wage equal to our american brothers... US Airway's Fleet service agents and Mechanics will strike!!!

Link

Link

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
No problem since I always fly Southwest :D.

And with Wright ending in October, and with how they've pretty much said goodbye to all of the carriers that made up the airlines, AWE/AAL just doesn't appeal to me anymore. As a passenger, this won't affect me.

BL.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Looks like the unholy alliance of suck known as the AA and US merger is off to a great start. They are probably the two worst airlines in the western world not named Ryanair.

I booked a flight on US for a trip later in the summer, I think I'm starting to regret that.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Looks like the unholy alliance of suck known as the AA and US merger is off to a great start. They are probably the two worst airlines in the western world not named Ryanair.

You haven't flown Spirit.

AWE actually was decent. The USA merger killed them. But America West Airlines was a great airline.

I booked a flight on US for a trip later in the summer, I think I'm starting to regret that.

You should be okay, depending on where they are and which metal you get. MD80s? good luck with that. Anything else, you should be okay.

BL.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I don't know how doing another merger will help USAir. You have 2 pilot unions that hate each other due to the USAir/America West merger. Now you have to get Americans pilot union added in there. So now the merged AA will have three pilot unions to please.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I don't know how doing another merger will help USAir. You have 2 pilot unions that hate each other due to the USAir/America West merger. Now you have to get Americans pilot union added in there. So now the merged AA will have three pilot unions to please.

And what makes it even better, is that the AWE/USA side has a bigger majority in things, as they were the ones that essentially 'bought' AAL. Just like AWE did when they 'bought' USA.

BL.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
As a caution to anyone planning trips in the near future, unless the company decides to pay us a respectable wage equal to our american brothers... US Airway's Fleet service agents and Mechanics will strike!!!

Link

Link

I don't fly ****** sucky airlines. So I'll be good. I fly Southwest, Air France, Jet Blue, ect. All of which offer better routes, better service, nicer planes, more legroom, better food and booze ( in Air Frances case ), for a better price. Good riddance, hope they go bankrupt.

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I was shocked at how low the starting pay was for new pilots. I always thought this was an elite job position.

Used to be, until the " Free Market " made sure unskilled lazy workers like commercial airline pilots got their FAIR PAY! Working almost every day, only being paid while flying, with little benefits after years and years of training and experitise make them into a someone who can fly a jet? Sounds like lazy welfare takers to me, probably muslim liberals :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Used to be, until the " Free Market " made sure unskilled lazy workers like commercial airline pilots got their FAIR PAY! Working almost every day, only being paid while flying, with little benefits after years and years of training and experitise make them into a someone who can fly a jet? Sounds like lazy welfare takers to me, probably muslim liberals :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

i for my part would be happy to pay on average $200 more per flight if airlines would have acceptable service and if they would treat their employees better.
I'm not asking for much. Just comply with Geneva conventions when treating customers and staff.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
Flying and choosing Airlines is like choosing a MotorCycle
Helmet...

If you think your head is only worth the cheapest you can find
then you get what you deserve.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Link

Link

I can't imagine the fun going on at, what is it called now? My brother works part time at the U.S. Air commuter, and he says it's a royal mess. But same job, same pay is a good standard to fight for.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
US Airways to Strike Soon!

I can't imagine the fun going on at, what is it called now? My brother works part time at the U.S. Air commuter, and he says it's a royal mess. But same job, same pay is a good standard to fight for.

Sounds like he works for Express, they work the piss outta those guys lol... I'm mainline though, we handle the aircraft with a hundred something seats and up

And about the whole same job, same pay... That ain't even the half of it.... They want to pay us at $27.00 an hour though.. But at the expense of out scope which is the best in the whole industry... We want a fair raise without any cost to us (jobs!)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Sounds like he works for Express, they work the piss outta those guys lol... I'm mainline though, we handle the aircraft with a hundred something seats and up

And about the whole same job, same pay... That ain't even the half of it.... They want to pay us at $27.00 an hour though.. But at the expense of out scope which is the best in the whole industry... We want a fair raise without any cost to us (jobs!)

Isn't Express still services by Republic and its subsidiaries? Republic, Chatauqua, Shuttle America, etc.? If so, that would basically be a different company paying them.. If not, that would be weird.. having Company A paying wages to Company B's pilots.

Though if it were like a subcontract, that would be a different story.

BL.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Isn't Express still services by Republic and its subsidiaries? Republic, Chatauqua, Shuttle America, etc.? If so, that would basically be a different company paying them.. If not, that would be weird.. having Company A paying wages to Company B's pilots.

Though if it were like a subcontract, that would be a different story.

BL.

You are correct, the biggest of the subsidiaries we have is a company called Republic. Each company has its on pilots, mechanics, and flight attendents

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

No surprise here:
Newly merged American Airlines faces labor problems

Good luck to you! Someday management will figure out that these kinds of inequalities makes it tough to deliver good customer service in a customer service industry. While there is the captive customer factor in some markets, they can't afford to be loathed so hopefully they will see the light. The real problem is building on the mess of the U.S. Air/America West merger. Better to start over fresh with equality of wages.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
No surprise here:
Newly merged American Airlines faces labor problems

Good luck to you! Someday management will figure out that these kinds of inequalities makes it tough to deliver good customer service in a customer service industry. While there is the captive customer factor in some markets, they can't afford to be loathed so hopefully they will see the light. The real problem is building on the mess of the U.S. Air/America West merger. Better to start over fresh with equality of wages.

Just like with the record labels, I remember a time when the CEO of an airline was also a pilot. So they knew firsthand what went into what a pilot does and the wages they had.

Unfortunately, those times are gone, as now the rule of business is all about bottom lines, profit margins, revenue, bean counters, and corporate buzzwords. They need to stop seeing their pilots as the means to a revenue stream and treat them as humans with families to feed and roofs to keep over their heads.

BL.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Just like with the record labels, I remember a time when the CEO of an airline was also a pilot. So they knew firsthand what went into what a pilot does and the wages they had.

Unfortunately, those times are gone, as now the rule of business is all about bottom lines, profit margins, revenue, bean counters, and corporate buzzwords. They need to stop seeing their pilots as the means to a revenue stream and treat them as humans with families to feed and roofs to keep over their heads.

BL.

That might be nice but the truth is that the pilots are a part of the business and the goal of the business is earning profits (Note - airlines are no different then any other for profit business). In the end, the employees will get more money (probably not what they wanted though) and the airline will let some go to make up the additional cost.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Just like with the record labels, I remember a time when the CEO of an airline was also a pilot. So they knew firsthand what went into what a pilot does and the wages they had..

Pilots don't run businesses because they're not businessmen. They're pilots.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You should be okay, depending on where they are and which metal you get. MD80s? good luck with that. Anything else, you should be okay.

BL.

A god awful CRJ-200, STL-PHL because halfway across the country is "regional" :rolleyes:

So I guess it's not technically US, but one of their regional partners, so I'm not sure what contract they're under. But I would guess US striking would not be good for operations as a whole.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Pilots don't run businesses because they're not businessmen. They're pilots.

Businessmen don't understand the needs and requirements of pilots. They are businessmen.

Cuts both ways.

Until they realize that pilots are not just pawns and the means to their revenue, things like this will continue to happen.

Frontier Airlines got shredded completely, through 2 CEOs and sold by Republic because of how they treated their pilots and crew. Undercover Boss showed us that plight.

And who said that pilots couldn't become businessmen? Talk about pigeonholing someone within the bounds of a single profession with no room to grow. :rolleyes:

BL.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Seems the businessmen have done a good job running their business into the ground all by themselves.

Well that's quite a generalization. Please, tell me about all the great airlines run by pilots without business training.

bradl said:
And who said that pilots couldn't become businessmen? Talk about pigeonholing someone within the bounds of a single profession with no room to grow.
When you pick a specialized profession, you do somewhat get "pigeonholed". That's life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.