Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has filled a position of privacy counsel with a lawyer experienced in customer privacy, data protection, electronic surveillance, information security and more. Sabrina Ross, a former associate at both Ropes & Gray and Sidley Austin, joined Apple this month according to her LinkedIn page (via AppleInsider).

Ross is a certified privacy professional, professing expertise in Internet and information law matters including privacy and data protection. As it moves more and more into online services including iCloud, Apple is increasingly concerned with privacy matters, including national surveillance by the NSA. Apple CEO Tim Cook told ABC News that Apple executives would need to be carted out "in a box" for the company to allow governments unfettered access to its servers.

sabrinaross.png
A certified privacy professional, CIPP/US, I have experience with a wide-range of Internet and information law matters involving privacy and data protection, online brand protection, electronic surveillance, defamation, information security, cloud computing, social media, locational privacy, e-commerce, and national security. I am passionate about addressing these issues with both business acumen and an eye towards litigation strategy.

My practice includes developing privacy compliance systems, creating privacy/data security training and policies, conducting risk analysis in the merger/acquisition context, and providing compliance counseling regarding the state/federal/international privacy law landscape.
Ross' CIPP/US certification is the first professional certification to be offered in the field of information privacy, covering the U.S. legal system including federal laws for protection of personal data, privacy marketing practices, state laws covering data breach notification and other privacy implications, as well as privacy in the workplace.

Article Link: Apple Hires Privacy Counsel to Oversee Protection of Customer Data

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
"...Apple is increasingly concerned with privacy matters..."
So are many of us users too! ;-)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I have difficulty digesting the term "certified privacy professional". Has our world really gotten so complex that we need such minutely specialized fields?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple is leading the market in this space. While Microsoft trawls through customer emails looking for evidence of product leaks, Apple is taking powerful steps such as this one to look after its valued consumers. And with more consumers waking up to the importance of privacy and data protection, they will vote with their dollars by buying only Apple devices and services.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I have difficulty digesting the term "certified privacy professional". Has our world really gotten so complex that we need such minutely specialized fields?

Privacy law is quite complex and it concerns nearly everything a company like Apple does. It's anything but "minutely specialized."

What's strange is that Mac Rumors deemed this newsworthy. Most large companies have in-house privacy lawyers. It wouldn't surprise me if she is joining an already well-established privacy law practice group at Apple.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I thought through this and could not come up with anything bad in this. In other words, good job Tim.

ericcollins

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
Apple is increasingly concerned with privacy matters, including*national surveillance*by the NSA. Apple CEO Tim Cook told ABC News that Apple executives would need to be*carted out "in a box"*for the company to allow governments unfettered access to its servers.

newzealandtraveltours.net

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.