Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Turkey's first Apple Store is nearing completion, as seen in new photos posted by Turkish Apple blog ElmaDergisi (via AppleToolbox). Taken on March 24 and 25, the images show the progress on the upcoming Istanbul location.

istanbulstore1.jpg
Located in the heart of Istanbul's multi-use Zorlu Center, the store is said to feature a concept that includes a design with a cubic glass ceiling. As can be seen in the photos, the wooden frame covering the building has been removed, but the structure itself, said to be entirely glass, remains under wraps.

According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the Istanbul store will be unique among Apple retail locations, spanning more than 20,000 square feet with a portion of the store located underground.

istanbulstoreoverhead.jpg
The Istanbul Apple Store is rumored to open on Friday, April 4. Both Tim Cook and Turkish president Abdullah Gül are both expected to attend the opening.

Article Link: Istanbul Apple Store Taking Shape Ahead of April Launch

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Funny to see an Apple store being built in front of Crate and Barrel store in Istanbul. Just saying...

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
the president?

I can see inviting the mayor or governor, but the president himself almost makes this a political endorsement.

Also if the shape is as it appears from the outside, connections have already been made with NYC store and a certain location revered as holy by many Turks. If they see that symbol used as a bastion of consumerism and affluenza they will either be really honored or really upset, but I would almost put my money on the latter.

Royal Dutch Shell performs constant global "what if" games to prepare for even the most unlikely global or regional crisis and hopefully avoid them. I hope Apple did likewise with this building.

MrPhineas

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I wonder if the iDevices that will be sold in that Apple Store will have a customised version of iOS without Twitter integration :D

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I assume that will be concrete or pavement surrounding the cube. But right now it looks like a reflecting pool, and that would look awesome: a glass cube surrounded by a moat, a neo-modernist castle. They could have a glass drawbridge for the entrance.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
At first glance I thought it was Cristo up to his old tricks. That, or Hajj.

Attachments

• reichstag_1.jpg
    reichstag_1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 172
  • shutterstock_104834057.jpg
    shutterstock_104834057.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 298

DrFix

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
This is in Istanbul? Not Constantanople?

Well,let's put it this way.

Christopher Columbus's voyage to the America in 1492
The USA was founded On July 4, 1776.
What was it called before 1776 or even 1492?

And we call one of our nicest cities Istanbul since 29th May 1453.It's simple as that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.