Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Hi Concorde, As seen in this attached file the old 1.2 version from Lobotomo was working and taking care of my MacBook temp.

Found yours, installed V2 as my macbook pro is 1 Processor (2 cores) but, in "Current Values" & "Target Values" is showing just "-1 RPM" value , also, 0.0ºC in temperatures. So, I think its not doing the job, I even installed the newest V2b5, just in case and neither does. Installed back 1.2 from lobotomy and it works fine.

Any tip to make it work? I trashed the prior lobotomo 1.2 files, even one preference file I found in preferences.

Thanks!
Rog

This is for the *Mac Pro* NOT *MacBook Pro*.

Reinstall the lobotomo version :)

mkush

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Western North Carolina
Newest version?

Hello. Just upgraded a 2009 Mac Pro to 2010 firmware with dual X5690s (3.46GHz). I want to use your utility to make sure that the CPUs are staying cool enough. My confusion is which version is the newest or which one I should use for my particular case. Can you provide a link please? Thanks so much for your work.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I can't remember which version is for DP (I did a special beta for DP machines).

Ill find the links when I get home.

I think that is the DP version (haven't installed it to test!)

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Hey Concorde Rules!

Great App, I've been using it since your first release. I've run into an issue with the 7950 running @ 4k resolutions... While the 7950's fans remain silent, the Mac Pro's PCI fan keeps speeding with an annoying drone. This issue does not occur when driving a 680 GTX.

Any chance we can get an update that allows for the modification of the PCI fan speed?

Thanks!

I can't remember which version is for DP (I did a special beta for DP machines).

Ill find the links when I get home.

Edit: Try this:

http://www.concorde-photos.co.uk/macrumours/MPFanControl2b5.zip

I think that is the DP version (haven't installed it to test!)

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
From my testing it seems the PCIe fan is based on the current drawn by the PCIe slots and PCIe boost lines.

The SMC is controlling them.

I can try adding a simple speed box rather than temperature controlled but I'm not sure it would solve the problem as the smc would just go above the value set.

Some apps force the fan speed but I think that can be a tad dangerous.

In all honestly I don't think I have the time or skill and I'm ditching the Mac Pro in the next few weeks! :(

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
From my testing it seems the PCIe fan is based on the current drawn by the PCIe slots and PCIe boost lines.

The SMC is controlling them.

I can try adding a simple speed box rather than temperature controlled but I'm not sure it would solve the problem as the smc would just go above the value set.

Some apps force the fan speed but I think that can be a tad dangerous.

In all honestly I don't think I have the time or skill and I'm ditching the Mac Pro in the next few weeks! :(

Any thoughts of passing on the code to another developer or releasing it as open source? :cool:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
I could upload the source. I might do that at some point.

I'm an Apple iOS & OS X developer and have an idea for an approach:

I just read up on the issue and was able to silence it by running the Open GL testing app to a point where the PCI fan exceeded 2200 RPM, then stopping the test. Addressing the issue may be as simple as pushing the fan to hit 2300RPM's on startup and releasing it to full OS control afterwards.

texem

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
I used to use free Macs Fan Control application to tune MacPro fans (or at macupdate)

One cool thing about is that it works on Windows (installed using Boot Camp).

Me too :)

But because "Macs Fan Control" is still not able to let you modify a minimum fan speed to other than SMC defaults, it's a good thing to start the tool from this thread here first (and only one time). Modfy min fanspeed to SMC, the settings are stored in NVRAM and survives a cold-boot.

Close it and start the the tool (MFC). It runs as a background daemon.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Just ran across this thread. I've been using smcFanControl with good results. Has anybody got pros and cons between the two?

Lou

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yep, you're right. I should have read the first post:cool: Sorry for your mad face. I just made the switch to Macs Fan Control.

Lou

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for building this fan control software.

It's works very well of me. I just want to share my setting and seek for some suggestions / recommendations to keep my Mac cool and quiet. (The ambient temperature from iStat was 36C when I capturing those graph)

idle.png
idle

50% workload.png
50% CPU workload

Max workload.png
Max CPU workload

I want to keep the fan noise low when idle, but spin up when temperature rising and keep the CPU temperature never exist 67% (W3520 Tcase max).

I know I can keep the fan noise lower by setting the lowest fan speed, but I still have a bit concern if its safe to set it below the default value.

I've try to put the FAN speed to 400RPM when idle, and then the north bridge temperature going up significantly. So, I think it's better to leave it at the default setting.

Last edited:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 12.34.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 12.34.57 PM.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 12.35.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 12.35.46 PM.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 205

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I've uploaded the source of my final version:

*REMOVED*

I'm sure someone on here can take it to the next level.

Last edited:

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Can someone please post clear instructions to uninstall?

I've removed from Pref pane, and then searched for Fan Control in system files, but i get 409 files. If system files aren't included, there are 354 files.

What are the names/locations of the files to be removed?

Then i can just get rid of them manually...

Thank you

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
many thanks! i missed that!

many thanks for the free app, but this is not the app for me... intake & exhaust tied together, and the airflow/suction from the exhaust makes the cpu fan rev up anyway. having them separate allows the exhuast and cpu set low and intake a little higher.

i'll buy stat and as that allows much more control and is much simpler.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.