Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
My 2012 27" Mac keeps on hanging. It's got a 1TB SATA drive that I'm beginning to think is the problem. I've wiped the drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard and it started hanging pretty much straight away. Opening System preferences, opening folders, browsing the net etc pretty much anything causes the little colourful ball to start spinning around. I then installed OS/X on an external drive and although a bit slow it didn't hang. So I'm guessing it's the internal drive? Anything else I can try or any tests I can run to confirm the hard disk is cactus? Thanks :)

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
My 2012 27" Mac keeps on hanging. It's got a 1TB SATA drive that I'm beginning to think is the problem. I've wiped the drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard and it started hanging pretty much straight away. Opening System preferences, opening folders, browsing the net etc pretty much anything causes the little colourful ball to start spinning around. I then installed OS/X on an external drive and although a bit slow it didn't hang. So I'm guessing it's the internal drive? Anything else I can try or any tests I can run to confirm the hard disk is cactus? Thanks :)

Was it hanging before you installed Snow Leopard onto the HDD? From your post it seems that the hanging started when you installed SL. Which OS were you running before that?

zedzded

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
Was it hanging before you installed Snow Leopard onto the HDD? From your post it seems that the hanging started when you installed SL. Which OS were you running before that?

No, it had SL already. Basically the MAC was getting slower & slower by the day, constantly freezing, so I had to rebuild it and I used the original MAC OS/X media that came with it, so returning it's original state, out of the box. However on first bootup it was hanging. I did notice it was indexing, but even when that stopped it continued to hang. The HDD has been wiped. Takes a long time to boot and sits there on a blank blue screen.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your symptoms are typical for a hard drive that is approaching failure.
Back up anything that you don't have backed up already.
Do that soon…
then - replace your hard drive.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Looks like a dead HDD...backup everything you have and buy an SSD.

Your Mac will boot up in around 10 seconds and fly with an SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.