Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following rumors of a March launch, it looks like April 2 will be the day Amazon introduces its Apple TV competitor, as Re/code notes that the company has sent out invitations to a "video business" media event for that date. The invitations feature a photo of a couch and popcorn, strongly suggesting that the event will indeed involve the rumored streaming video device, and Re/code's sources indicate that this will indeed be the topic for the event.

amazon_stream_box.jpg
The e-commerce giant has invited reporters to gather for an "update for our video business" in New York next Wednesday, April 2.

The popcorn and couch in the image give you a pretty good idea of what to expect, as does our previous reporting, which explained that Amazon has been preparing a Web-to-TV gadget for many months.
A recent report from TechCrunch indicated that Amazon's device is expected to be a dongle similar to Google's Chromecast, which plugs directly into an HDMI port on the back of the user's television and then connects to either a USB port or outlet for power.

Amazon's launch comes as Apple users continue to await the introduction of a revamped Apple TV. Rumblings had suggested Apple was considering a launch late last year, but nothing materialized. Newer rumors have suggested that Apple might make a March or April announcement ahead of a launch later in the year, but there have been no specific signs of an imminent event from Apple.

Article Link: Amazon's Apple TV Competitor Expected to Debut at April 2 Media Event

Thank you amazon, quite happy with my apple TV. Despite being an amazon 'prime member' I detested love-film, and am quite happy and content with my current iTunes/icloud set-up.

I suspect those not in a matrimonial union with iTunes-family may be swayed; personally, i do not see this as a viable alternative for my needs and usage.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Its about time one of the big boys made a push with a small streaming/casual gaming device. Now if they could only get decent content streaming in the UK. Amazon prime/lovefilm is utter crap at the moment. I got it off the back of my prime membership and its painful to use on ANY device and the content available is terrible.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Amazon's pretty late to this game.

If they're moving in the direction of the Chromecast -- toward being a bargain option -- that would be completely the opposite of what Apple seems to be planning -- the only hard evidence being that the Apple TV is now listed as a main product on the Apple website. ATV used to be a "hobby," but it isn't anymore, and that should set the bar high for Amazon's announcement.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Following Amazon's current naming strategy, we can all be anticipating the Amazon Kable Fire!

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Never cared much for the Amazon Prime Movies. Nor do I want to buy any that weren't free. I only enjoyed watching past TV episodes but I won't be renewing this year since I don't buy that much from Amazon anymore.

hrMACnstuff

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Amazon Prime Dropped Scripps After Price Increase

So much for customer service. After announcing a 25% increase for a Prime membership, last week Amazon dropped Scripps and all the shows that came with it: HGTV, Food and Travel networks, etc.
So pay more and get less.
Just FYI.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth

If they're moving in the direction of the Chromecast -- toward being a bargain option -- that would be completely the opposite of what Apple seems to be planning -- the only hard evidence being that the Apple TV is now listed as a main product on the Apple website. ATV used to be a "hobby," but it isn't anymore, and that should set the bar high for Amazon's announcement.

Just because sales are higher doesn't prevent it from being a hobby. It can still be a hobby, ie (a very small team putting resources into the project vs everything else Apple works on.

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
Should be interesting. I wonder if they will have channels like Roku and the Apple TV or will it only be Amazon services.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Wondering if Apple has been waiting for Amazon to announce their products so that they can't update it to copy whatever Apple has planned.

----------

Should be interesting. I wonder if they will have channels like Roku and the Apple TV or will it only be Amazon services.
Judging from the Kindles, it will be Amazon only unless you root it.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

You mean early? Amazon's distribution deals with the studios is pretty vast and they have a Amazon Prime app on many devices. They are ahead of the game compared to many companies.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
So much for customer service. After announcing a 25% increase in Prime membership, last week Amazon dropped Scripps and all the shows that came with it: HGTV, Food and Travel networks, etc.
So pay more and get less.
Just FYI.

Ouch - that's how most cable companies are too.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Judging from the Kindles, it will be Amazon only unless you root it.

Huh? The Kindle Fire family of tablets allows any app on their platform. It is just a forked version of Android with their own App Store. Clearly they will have Netflix and probably Hulu Plus at launch.

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
why would anyone want this when apple tv already does everything we need as consumers? the amazon experience is substandard and has much less content than the iTunes store.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wow - so has Amazon actually mastered the art of product reveals as demonstrated time after time by Apple? Do we not actually already know exactly what Amazon is revealing, and will they be shipping a product shortly after revealing it? Those concepts are completely lost on most companies - most companies announce things months before revealing them, and then ship them months after revealing them. Only Apple announces and reveals simultaneously and starts shipments within a week of that, as far as I know.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

Better late then never, never late is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.