Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
The oleophobic layer is nano-coating on the glass so if it gets scratched off you don't even see it. On current devices it eventually wares off and you don't notice that because its so thin, you just get fingerprints being more noticeable as the device ages.

Remember this? https://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/06/iphone-3gs-oleophobic-screen-coating-wearing-off/

144110-oleophobic_wear_500.jpg

iphoneback.jpg

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Because Oleophobic coatings on glass is a completely different idea?

I have used phones before with oleophobic claims and the bottom line is they do not prevent fingerprints on screens. The reality is that fingerprints are only an issue when the screen is off because it makes the glass look dirty, but when the screen is on, and unless you have been inhaling Cheetos for a few hours while using your tablet or phone, you are never going to notice fingerprints.

If Apple is patenting how to apply this coating on sapphire then they have a claim, but to claim the "novel" idea of simply using this coating on another type of display surface I do not think will be granted.

Oleophobic is just a marketing gimmick that tries to make people believe that a device with it is better then a device without it, just like sapphire. Apple is the king of patenting marketing myths.

I don't think novel means what you think it means.

----------

No?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i think the sapphire dont need an oleophobic coating because on my Nokia 8800 Arte i never had any problems with the fingerprint even wasnt a touchscreen i did touch it a lot to make a difference between iphone 4 and Arte

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Oleophobic is just a marketing gimmick that tries to make people believe that a device with it is better then a device without it, just like sapphire. Apple is the king of patenting marketing myths.

Use a phone without it and you will realize it's not a gimmick. It's used by almost every phone manufacturer because it serves a very useful purpose.

Sapphire is also going to have benefits over glass. It will be much more scratch resistant. These aren't gimmicks. They are useful applications that you almost never even notice but they make the device better. That is kind of the opposite of a gimmick.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I have had every iPhone since the 3G. Never had a glass scratch/coating issue and I don't use cases or screen protectors. If you're screen is scratching, it's the glass, not the coating as someone has said above me, it's a nano coating. You will never see it come off or scratch.

I have only ever had very minor scratches on my iPhones (owned 2). Scratches are not likely so long as you use a case with a bit of lip to lift the screen from any flat surface you lay it face down on. Also, never put it in the same pocket any metal object (like your keys!). Mine stays flush against my thigh in the same pocket as my leather wallet.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Enough "May"s in the quote to last the better part of a decade:D

I'm so last century I thought patents were meant to be accurate descriptions.:D:D

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013

If Apple is patenting how to apply this coating on sapphire then they have a claim, but to claim the "novel" idea of simply using this coating on another type of display surface I do not think will be granted.

Correct- that's what the patent claims - and apparently this is a first in the industry

"This patent allows for the oleophobic coating to be applied to a brick of sapphire and not having to apply it to each cut screen individually i.e. the patent allows for batch processing."

http://margolismatt.com/2014/03/27/oleophobic-coating-on-sapphire-patent/

Last edited:

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I always suspected the "micro scratches" that I got on my iPhones was due to the coating. These scratches were very fine, almost invisible, until you look at the phone under sunlight or a clean halogen/LED light. Then they would become quite visible (and annoying). It's a bummer that they'll put this coating on a material that's even more scratch resistant.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
As already stated, this is Dumb. Every iphone I have ever had got scratches on the coating. What a waste that would be of sapphire
This sapphire crystal wristwatch I've been wearing continuously for the past thirty years hasn't got a single scratch on it.

I'm predicting an iWatch with sapphire on the front and liquidmetal on the back.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
regardless of the oil resistant coating on the very top. the patent is calling for a sapphire substrate with a glass surface layer on top of it. whats the deal with that ???

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Anyone is familiar with this type of coating? I am all for the scratch resistant Sapphire, but if it is coated with something that can be scratched off, it might defeat the purpose. I'd rather have fingerprints than scratches.

im certain theyve thought about that and more. these guys didnt just fall off the turnip truck.

----------

As already stated, this is Dumb. Every iphone I have ever had got scratches on the coating. What a waste that would be of sapphire

gosh, you guys had better let Cook and his executive team of ultra successful hardware engineers know, pronto!! they could be making a huge mistake!

----------

nope. it serves a function, which is why they bother with it.

please link us to some other patented marketing myths, dying to hear about them.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This sapphire crystal wristwatch I've been wearing continuously for the past thirty years hasn't got a single scratch on it.

Yeah, with a screen that can last decades, it's almost a pity that most people only use a phone for a year or two.

"Grandpa, I found this old thing in the attic. Is this what smartphones used to look like before they became flexible screens tattooed on your arm?"

"Yep, that's right, kid. But hey, isn't the display amazingly scratch free for its age?!"

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I always suspected the "micro scratches" that I got on my iPhones was due to the coating. These scratches were very fine, almost invisible, until you look at the phone under sunlight or a clean halogen/LED light. Then they would become quite visible (and annoying).

why is it annoying, if you can only detect them when putting the powered-off display into a non-natural lighting environment designed to light them?

It's a bummer that they'll put this coating on a material that's even more scratch resistant.

the coating isnt what causes scratches. you have a misunderstanding about how the layers work and what they do.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
why is it annoying, if you can only detect them when putting the powered-off display into a non-natural lighting environment designed to light them?

I'm not sure why that would be annoying, however it has little to do with what I said. Funny how you quoted me and apparently didn't read what I wrote. Nowhere did I mention "powered-off" or "non-natural". Try again.

the coating isnt what causes scratches. you have a misunderstanding about how the layers work and what they do.

Uh, right. So let me see if I understand correctly. The coating can be worn away in specific areas of the screen (as evidenced by many photos, including those posted earlier in this thread), but it can't be scratched? Please go ahead and enlighten us as to how this is a misunderstanding of "how the layers work and what they do".

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Scratches are only the tip of the sapphire iceberg. Micro-scratches and the occasional deep scratch may be annoying to some and infuriating to a few, but a shattered screen is a heartbreaker for all affected.

As a selling point? "Fewer scratches" isn't going to sell a whole lot more iPhones - most people don't notice the micro-scratches, as all micro-scratches do in practice is reduce contrast. Up the screen brightness, and that issue is overcome (while increased brightness doesn't change contrast, the net effect is similar - easier visibility).

The key selling point is shatter-resistance. That may affect a smaller number of users than scratching, but it's a result all purchasers fear.

Meantime, the overall thickness of the transition layer places a near-maximum on the depth of scratches, and as it varies in hardness between silica glass at the very surface and nearly pure sapphire at the base, it will be more scratch-resistant than silica glass just a short distance below the surface. The deeper the scratch, the more visible it is, so this should still improve the optical performance of the screen.

The fact that a transition layer is necessary says a lot for the intrinsic qualities of sapphire - if it can't be coated directly, it's pretty slick stuff.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013

I have used phones before with oleophobic claims and the bottom line is they do not prevent fingerprints on screens. The reality is that fingerprints are only an issue when the screen is off because it makes the glass look dirty, but when the screen is on, and unless you have been inhaling Cheetos for a few hours while using your tablet or phone, you are never going to notice fingerprints.

Marketing gimmick? Have you tried a screen without an oleophobic coating? It's far worse at handling fingerprints. At least with current day iPhones and iPads, the most you get are smudges that wipe off extremely easily.

They barely even mention this feature so I don't see how it's any sort of a gimmick. No need to go through the expense of adding an extra layer of coating just for marketing purposes.

ZidaneZidane

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
I have had every iPhone since the 3G. Never had a glass scratch/coating issue and I don't use cases or screen protectors. If you're screen is scratching, it's the glass, not the coating as someone has said above me, it's a nano coating. You will never see it come off or scratch.

Both my 4s and 5 ended up getting little scratches, mainly from my keys. They are not visible when the screen is turned on but when it's turned off they are clearly there. That wouldn't bother some folks but it does me. The scratches I always assumed where to the coating since they are not too deep.

----------

shatter-resistance would be nice, but I've heard with sapphire when it gets large enough for a screen that benefit goes away? Not sure of that's true but that's what Corning claimed. "Micro scratches" are still scratches. If I didn't care about those I wouldn't care about having a device like the iphone. Defeats the whole point of having a beautiful device when it's got a bunch of micro scratches. Give me smudges I can wipe away over permanent "micro" scratches any day.

----------

I always suspected the "micro scratches" that I got on my iPhones was due to the coating. These scratches were very fine, almost invisible, until you look at the phone under sunlight or a clean halogen/LED light. Then they would become quite visible (and annoying). It's a bummer that they'll put this coating on a material that's even more scratch resistant.

Exactly

fastasleep

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't know about anyone else, but I still have lots of fingerprints on my iOS devices. I'd hate to see what the screens look like without this oleophobic coating.

I got a crappy aftermarket replacement glass put on my iPad 2 by a repair shop that clearly didn't have the coating. Trust me, it's noticeable. Then the glass cracked right away and they replaced it with the "proper" part, and it's back to normal or at least much closer to OEM if it isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.