Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likosoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
Hello, I was thinking of buying a firewire solo from m audio to record demo's for my band. It would be connected to a powerbook with logic express. Does anyone have any experience with this product or has a suggestion for a better external sound card in the same price range, all advice is very welcome. :D

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
likosoad said:
Hello, I was thinking of buying a firewire solo from m audio to record demo's for my band. It would be connected to a powerbook with logic express. Does anyone have any experience with this product or has a suggestion for a better external sound card in the same price range, all advice is very welcome. :D

I have used a few M-Audio/ Midiman devices for wow... 10 years now! :-0 All I can say is the quality is flawless, hardware to drivers, and at the prices they sell for, it's always the least expensive ( even vs. lower quality )

I'm not sure what device specifically you are referring to, but M-Audio has far less issues than any other brand, and with over 10 x's as many users - that's amazing...

M-Audio is a safe, high quality brand. Your money can't buy more... ( but obviously a $99 device vs. $2500 wont be the same, the results should depend on your skill & ability - they make good stuff, go for it!)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I have the keystation 88es, love it!! My dad has the keystation 88 Pro, even more amazing. You really can't go wrong with anything M-AUDIO, that is why ProTools has teamed up with them.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
likosoad said:

There have been a few quibbles about the stability of the drivers on some M-Audio units.

But it's hard to make any specific recommendation without knowing what you are expecting or how you plan to use it.

"Band" implies more than one player. But the entry level interfaces will record only one stereo track at a time. The Firewire Solo will support one vocal microphone OR one guitar-level input OR two line-level inputs (RCA).

Edirol is the other company in this price/performance space. Shooting a little higher there are also Presonus, Focusrite, Mackie, and a number of others. In the high end add Digidesign and Mark of the Unicorn, Aardvark, Apogee and others.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
The Firewire Solo will support one vocal microphone OR one guitar-level input OR two line-level inputs (RCA).

Actually, that isn't true. The FireWire Solo doesn't even have RCA inputs. You can indeed record 4 tracks simultaneously with the FireWire Solo.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I have a Firewire Solo and it works pretty well. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is not hot-swapable, so you have to shut down your computer to plug in the Solo. Other than that I have had no problems. I am using it with the M-Audio Audio Buddy so that I can plug in two microphones.

CLAUDE

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
M-audio BX5a wrong voltage

Hi all,

I finally got myself a pair of M-Audio Bx5a sound monitors for a very good price. I haven't even had time to use them as I switched one to the wrong voltage....and obviously since then, not a sound comes out of it anymore.

So there goes the question: is there any way to repair a sound monitor after such an incident? Can I get some spare parts and do it myself or would it be wiser to get an electrician to look after it?

Thanks for your help.

Claude

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
M-Audio, last I checked, still hasnt written the drivers for 10.4 for the Revolution 7.1 PCI-X card I have.

Just sits in the slot, not detected by the OS. Great card, crappy driver update (just on this) as you can read M-Audio rox.

Oxygen 8 all the way.

steveedge

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Audiophile

I just bought an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile 2496 about a month ago. I am very pleased with it. After driver installation, the unit didn't show up, I went directly to M-Audio site, downloaded an updated driver, installed it and it has been flawless since.
I've used it with Logic Express, Cubase, Reason, Garage Band, Soundtrack, peak, and a couple other audio/midi apps with no problem.
The audiophile doesn't have a pre amp but I already had one (Studio projects) so I use that.
The audiophile list for 350.00 and sells for 180.00 at online music stores. I got mine new in box from a E-Bay music store for 130.00 tax and two day shipping included.
Whatever model you decide on, check E-Bay, you may save some $.
Also i originally was going to buy the USB model but i read MANY bad reviews about it. So, I recomend finding online reviews about whatever model you decide on.
Good Luck,

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
steveedge said:
I just bought an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile 2496 about a month ago. I am very pleased with it. After driver installation, the unit didn't show up, I went directly to M-Audio site, downloaded an updated driver, installed it and it has been flawless since.
I've used it with Logic Express, Cubase, Reason, Garage Band, Soundtrack, peak, and a couple other audio/midi apps with no problem.
The audiophile doesn't have a pre amp but I already had one (Studio projects) so I use that.
The audiophile list for 350.00 and sells for 180.00 at online music stores. I got mine new in box from a E-Bay music store for 130.00 tax and two day shipping included.
Whatever model you decide on, check E-Bay, you may save some $.
Also i originally was going to buy the USB model but i read MANY bad reviews about it. So, I recomend finding online reviews about whatever model you decide on.
Good Luck,

I too have an M-Audio 2496 sound card. Have never had a problem with it, and it works great with GB. Definitely worth buying, IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.