Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

styan5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Looking for a easy, cheap but effective music editing/cutting app for MacBook Pro to allow editing of commercial music tracks to shorter versions for dance routines.
TIA

lorcar

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2013
nothing native? something very simple, just to shorten some song or cut out some pieces. I thought Mac has it for videos, cant believe there is nothing similar for audio

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
nothing native? something very simple, just to shorten some song or cut out some pieces. I thought Mac has it for videos, cant believe there is nothing similar for audio

I have been using Fission by Rogue Amoeba for years now. It's $32 though, so not exactly cheap. But it'll let you snip up to 10 minutes files for free, so the trial will work fine for the majority of music.

http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the files you need to trim are in mp3 format, MP3 Trimmer is a very good app...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ As Consultant already stated Garageband comes free with your Mac. ]]

There could be a problem if the user is trying to edit compressed files, such as mp3.

GarageBand will edit them, true. But it first has to de-compress the file into aiff format.

That will be ok -- so long as the user doesn't want to "re-compress" them back into mp3 format. To do so will "throw out" more audio information (because of the "lossy" compression process), and could degrade the audio quality.

MP3 Trimmer is shareware, but all the features are available in demo mode.
It can trim and modify mp3 files WITHOUT de-compressing them, thus retaining the original audio quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.