Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I was seriously considering switching to T-Mobile but with this announcement, I'll be staying with AT&T. With my FAN discount, I'm paying $69.50 a month AND I get to keep my phone subsidy.

For people who travel out of the country or use a ridiculous amount of data each month, I can see the value of going with T-Mobile.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
As a recent switcher, I'm not thrilled with the announcements over the last 2 months, but since my $30 prepaid plan is still the best deal out there for me I'm not going anywhere. T-mobile in NYC is fantastic. I have no idea why people pay $100+ for AT&T or Verizon here if you rarely leave the city (most people).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As a recent switcher, I'm not thrilled with the announcements over the last 2 months, but since my $30 prepaid plan is still the best deal out there for me I'm not going anywhere. T-mobile in NYC is fantastic. I have no idea why people pay $100+ for AT&T or Verizon here if you rarely leave the city (most people).

Wha? NYC is a ghost town during the summer.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I don't think anyone would argue that for a heavy data user, low talker, and someone in a decent metro area, the 30/unl/unl plan is a steal. My serious problem about t-mobile's value is with their standard new plans. For $50, and with no subsidy for a phone, I can get unlimited talk and text with 1gb on the T-mobile network. I can finance a phone through t-mobile, but I could do that with any 0% apr card, so that minor benefit doesn't bear consideration.

I can get an AIO line with the same unlimited talk and text, 2.5x more data on an inarguable vastly superior at&t lte network for $45 a month, after a very simple autopay discount. And they'll help me out just as much on a new phone, which is not at all.

So unless I'm really incentivized by the ETF reimbursement and device trade-in value (which is obviously less than fair market) I struggle to see why anyone would go with Tmo.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I can finance a phone through t-mobile, but I could do that with any 0% apr card, so that minor benefit doesn't bear consideration.

The only 0% apr cards I am aware of offer that for a limited time (generally 12-18 month past the date you opened the card. Am I missing something?

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
The only 0% apr cards I am aware of offer that for a limited time (generally 12-18 month past the date you opened the card. Am I missing something?

Are people really so price sensitive that they have $150 to spend immediately, but 18 months isn't long enough to pay down a balance, so they need 24? Apple's Barclay's card seems like it'd be even easier for someone with cashflow issues, it requires nothing down. But letting a decision like that impact your coverage and greatly diminish your data seems like a ludicrous argument.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Are people really so price sensitive that they have $150 to spend immediately, but 18 months isn't long enough to pay down a balance, so they need 24? Apple's Barclay's card seems like it'd be even easier for someone with cashflow issues, it requires nothing down. But letting a decision like that impact your coverage and greatly diminish your data seems like a ludicrous argument.

That's not at all what I am saying. To get 0% you have to sign up for a new card. It's not a permanent perk. If you want to do that every time you get a new phone (in order to say you get a 0% loan which TMO and AT&T will give you out the door)... more power to you I guess.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I don't think anyone would argue that for a heavy data user, low talker, and someone in a decent metro area, the 30/unl/unl plan is a steal. My serious problem about t-mobile's value is with their standard new plans. For $50, and with no subsidy for a phone, I can get unlimited talk and text with 1gb on the T-mobile network. I can finance a phone through t-mobile, but I could do that with any 0% apr card, so that minor benefit doesn't bear consideration.

I can get an AIO line with the same unlimited talk and text, 2.5x more data on an inarguable vastly superior at&t lte network for $45 a month, after a very simple autopay discount. And they'll help me out just as much on a new phone, which is not at all.

So unless I'm really incentivized by the ETF reimbursement and device trade-in value (which is obviously less than fair market) I struggle to see why anyone would go with Tmo.

Im with you, and switching soon as the price differential has grown to $23.

But AIO still plays data/service games blocking basic handset services like terthering.

TMo does not, use your data plan as you see fit.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
And ghetto? Why? Some of their stores are the nicest I've ever been to.

If I had to guess why this term is being thrown around it's because TMO service is sold by "everyone". If you how to the "low rent" parts of town you literally see cell phone and calling card shops. They sell nothing but virgin, boost, and TMObile lines. You don't see AT&T or Verizon being sold anywhere near here. I can speak for Boston (and surrounding cities - hell I have seen TMO being sold at discount clothing and furniture shops here) and I can speak for Los Angeles County. It's probably safe to say it is the same virtually everywhere there is a lower income population.

That isn't to say TMO ONLY caters to these parts of town; that is obviously not true as there are plenty of corporate stores that do the exact opposite. But they definitely DO cater to these people much more than AT&T and Verizon (to be clear I don't find anything wrong with that - my mom raised me on her own just above the poverty level and while I am happy to be more fortunate today I won't ever forget where I came from).

Either way, the terminology is rather hurtful, sad, and unnecessary. I asked once why these two folks feel the need to keep repeating that and didn't get a response. I guess we never will.

elthesensai

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Brooklyn New York
If I had to guess why this term is being thrown around it's because TMO service is sold by "everyone". If you how to the "low rent" parts of town you literally see cell phone and calling card shops. They sell nothing but virgin, boost, and TMObile lines. You don't see AT&T or Verizon being sold anywhere near here. I can speak for Boston (and surrounding cities - hell I have seen TMO being sold at discount clothing and furniture shops here) and I can speak for Los Angeles County. It's probably safe to say it is the same virtually everywhere there is a lower income population.

That isn't to say TMO ONLY caters to these parts of town; that is obviously not true as there are plenty of corporate stores that do the exact opposite. But they definitely DO cater to these people much more than AT&T and Verizon (to be clear I don't find anything wrong with that - my mom raised me on her own just above the poverty level and while I am happy to be more fortunate today I won't ever forget where I came from).

Either way, the terminology is rather hurtful, sad, and unnecessary. I asked once why these two folks feel the need to keep repeating that and didn't get a response. I guess we never will.

If this is truly the reasoning behind the ghetto mobile name calling that would lead me to lose just a bit more faith in the human race. To be honest I don't have a lot of faith in us to begin with.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If this is truly the reasoning behind the ghetto mobile name calling that would lead me to lose just a bit more faith in the human race. To be honest I don't have a lot of faith in us to begin with.

I mean what reasoning could anyone possibly give for it to be satisfactory to call a company derogatory names? It's... a company FFS.

I know "losing faith in the human race" is just a saying, a cliche if you will, but don't lose hope over something as simple as this. There is plenty of good out there, almost none of which revolves around a telco. :p

elthesensai

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Brooklyn New York
T-Mobile is Fantastic!

I mean what reasoning could anyone possibly give for it to be satisfactory to call a company derogatory names? It's... a company FFS.

I know "losing faith in the human race" is just a saying, a cliche if you will, but don't lose hope over something as simple as this. There is plenty of good out there, almost none of which revolves around a telco. :p

I'm not losing faith in us because of people calling a carrier ghetto but because a company would try to tailor to low income people as well as the middle class and having people saying hurtful things about those people. It's this elitist attitude that cause a lot of humanities problems. I'll give you that this is way off topic so I'll just shut up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.