Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated its investor relations page today to note that it will announce its earnings for the second fiscal quarter (first calendar quarter) of 2014 on Wednesday, April 23. The earnings release typically occurs just after 4:30 PM Eastern Time following the close of regular stock trading, and the conference call is scheduled to follow at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific.

q214earnings.png
MacRumors will provide running coverage of the earnings release and conference call.

The release will provide a look at sales of the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini sales during their second quarter of availability as well as iPhone 5s and 5c sales through the first three months of 2014. Apple reported a record number of iPhone/iPad sales during the first quarter of 2014, at 51 million iPhones and 26 million iPads.

In its fiscal first-quarter earnings call, Apple guided expected revenue of $42-44 billion and gross margin between 37 and 38 percent. This reflects an expectation of near-zero growth from Q2 of fiscal 2013.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Q2 2014 Earnings on April 23

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I'm expecting another blockbuster quarter to bring shame on all competitors ... And then still see the stock drop 15% after hours.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Another quarter with no product releases....I hate Apple's new release schedule with everything stacked into the late fall.

Not expecting anything for the next quarter either.

As for the earnings, I am sure they will be fine.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Another quarter with no product releases....I hate Apple's new release schedule with everything stacked into the late fall.

"Yes, we have more great things 'in the pipeline'; we're very excited."
*snooze*

"Oh, and we made another kazillion dollars!"
*yey*

Next.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm expecting another blockbuster quarter to bring shame on all competitors ... And then still see the stock drop 15% after hours.

Apple hasn't had a "blockbuster quarter" in a year. The current stock price reflects Apple's guidance, which basically predicted little or no earnings growth this quarter. If Apple fails to beat even those very modest expectations, then look out below. The key word here is "if."

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
The market should just drop the stock price as soon as Apple announces that they are going announce their quarter earnings. Forget about numbers, just drop the stock because that has been the pattern the last couple of years. $42 - $44 billion revenue isn't good enough anymore? They made record sales, yet "growth" is virtually non-existent? Lets reprimand the companies that make a profit and get record sales. Yeah that makes a hell lot of sense...

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The market should just drop the stock price as soon as Apple announces that they are going announce their quarter earnings. Forget about numbers, just drop the stock because that has been the pattern the last couple of years. $42 - $44 billion revenue isn't good enough anymore. They made record sales, yet "growth" is virtually non-existent. Lets reprimand the companies that make a profit and get record sales. Yeah that makes a hell lot of sense...

I'm trying to make sense of this post on some level, but I just can't do it.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Would be helpful if they broke down the sales numbers to show the sales mix of various iPhone and iPad models. I know they won't but it would be useful info for investors. Expecting YoY sales to remain flat and the share price to slide before and after the announcement.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
agree with part of this

I do not like everything in late Fall either. Hope it changes once Intel gets their chips together.

I am hopeful some kind of Mac will be released next quarter, but I'm not keeping tabs on Intel enough. My iMac is acting up again. I suspect I'll have to replace this year rather than early next.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Since most are expecting stock will go down then will buy stock after.

Lets the stock goes up! Lets see who can read mind games.

-Wall$treet

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

Agreed. I really expected apple to have announced something in march to spread things out this year. When Tim said they would release products in "multiple new product categories" in 2014 I thought they would be spread out throughout the year. Maybe something will come in April or May.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Would be helpful if they broke down the sales numbers to show the sales mix of various iPhone and iPad models. I know they won't but it would be useful info for investors.

I think you mean it would be good for us to know because of our curiosity. For forums like MR to know to drive discussion. Investors? Investors don't give two hoots about the product mix. Institutional investors, the ones that own most of the stock, only care about how much money they can make. Think Icahn.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Would be helpful if they broke down the sales numbers to show the sales mix of various iPhone and iPad models. I know they won't but it would be useful info for investors. Expecting YoY sales to remain flat and the share price to slide before and after the announcement.

True investor dont care how many iPhone5s/5c sold but how the company perform/earns.

The breakdown is only useful for fans/hater.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
True investor dont care how many iPhone5s/5c sold but how the company perform/earns.

Not really. The number of iPhones sold tells us whether this market is still growing for Apple and a breakdown could indicate whether Apple is sacrificing margins by moving to lower-cost products. Both have a bearing on earnings. The former we get, the latter we don't get.

----------

I think you mean it would be good for us to know because of our curiosity. For forums like MR to know to drive discussion. Investors? Investors don't give two hoots about the product mix. Institutional investors, the ones that own most of the stock, only care about how much money they can make. Think Icahn.

They actually do care. Anyone who invests for reasons other than making money should have their head examined.

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Investors? Investors don't give two hoots about the product mix. Institutional investors, the ones that own most of the stock, only care about how much money they can make. Think Icahn.

Pffft!! :D Laughable.
Anything else you'd like to pull out of a random hole?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I am open for being educated. Please do so.

Because they do care, very much. The news for investors last quarter was Apple coming up short in iPhone sales, and the reason they came up short was the 5s/5c mix not being what they expected. Tim Cook was asked about this in the conference call and essentially had to say they screwed up.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Because they do care, very much. The news for investors last quarter was Apple coming up short in iPhone sales, and the reason they came up short was the 5s/5c mix not being what they expected. Tim Cook was asked about this in the conference call and essentially had to say they screwed up.

I'm the first to admit I know nothing about the stock market but wasn't the question in the call about flat earnings? Tim's answer was a misjudgment with the 5S/5C product mix caused less than optimal growth or something to that affect. Admittedly, I am punching above my weight commenting on stocks. I'm going to go search for blurry pics of the iPhone6:D

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England

Not so. Would be useful to know how the sales mix is between new and old models as a guide to the popularity of new models versus the cheaper price of older models. Plus Apple makes higher margin on 64GB models than 16GB models.

If sales of iPad mini is poor could indicate Apple is losing the battle at the mid range price bracket to Android models. That could mean Apple would need to increase component quality and cost at the expense of margins to compete which could affect profitability going forward.

Good investment is based on analysis not sentiment.

----------

Agreed, it's over 5 months since they announced any new products.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Was it in 2010 or 2011 when Apple released something new every Tuesday starting in January and went on for many weeks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.